All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pokeefe0001
join:2014-10-31
Seattle, WA

pokeefe0001

[ipv6] IPv6 6rd endpoint on Windows 7? (cross-post)

This was also posted on the CenturyLink subforum, but I got no response so I'm reposting here (with a bit of editing).

Can a 6rd IPv6 tunnel use a Windows PC as its endpoint?

I recently switched to Comcast as my ISP but have many months left on a CenturyLink DSL agreement so I'm using my DSL as an internet backup. I have a very old Actiontec GT701-WG modem/router that does not have IPv6 support so I have it running in transparent bridge mode. My PPPoE and IPv6 6rd endpoints used to be in an ASUS RT-N56U router, but that's now connected to my Comcast modem. I have the PC acting as the PPPoE endpoint, but I don't know how to define 6rd support in Windows. Does anyone know if it can be done?

I know Windows has build in support for Teredo and isatap tunneling, but I'm pretty sure neither does me any good. I'm also pretty sure that Microsoft does not include 6rd support in Windows, but maybe there is a 3rd party software implementation.

I'm aware that I have native IPv6 connectivity through Comcast, and I'm aware that I don't really need IPv6 through either ISP. This is mostly for play.
quesix
join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

1 recommendation

quesix

Re: [ipv6] IPv6 6rd endpoint on Windows 7? (cross-post)

Do you have any old wired/wireless routers (even ancient 802.11b) that may support openWRT or other open source Linux replacement? just use that as wired router. Even new low-end Linksys's will do 6rd with firmware update.

To do 6rd in windows will require special reconfiguration or software, beyond normal netsh commands. you could possibly use 6to4 with tunnelbroker.net he.net tunnel long as your IPv4 address is public and semi-stable. 6rd is a version of 6to4 tunneling and not native IPv6, so it's performance can be lower than straight up tunnel , depending on relay/server locations.
pokeefe0001
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

pokeefe0001

said by quesix:

Do you have any old wired/wireless routers (even ancient 802.11b) that may support openWRT or other open source Linux replacement? just use that as wired router. Even new low-end Linksys's will do 6rd with firmware update.

That's probably more trouble than it's worth. I have no reason to assume I'll actually need the DSL connection as a backup, and I don't really need IPv6 at all.

The only spare router I have is another DSL modem/router - an Actiontec C1000A. It has 6rd support, but I don't think I can use it as just a router. (I intended to use it as as my DSL modem, but it couldn't handle the terrible SNR - 6 dB - that my CenturyLink line has. My already slow speed dropped to about half what I could get with my old GT701-WG.)

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to quesix

MVM

to quesix
said by quesix:

you could possibly use 6to4 with tunnelbroker.net he.net tunnel ...

Isn't HE using 6in4?

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

1 recommendation

rchandra

Premium Member

>Isn't HE using 6in4?
sure is.
pokeefe0001
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

pokeefe0001 to quesix

to quesix
said by quesix:

I bought a cheap (~$20) Linksys N150. Either it's 6rd support is very limited or some of it's configuration options are well hidden. It doesn't have any way to specify the IPv6 border node (or is that boundary node? I forget.) or IPv6 DNS. Maybe some of that information is exchanged during a 6rd handshake, but Windows says I don't have IPv6 internet access through this interface.

Linksys N150 is apparently another name for Linksys E800, and there is openWRT support for the E800 - DD-wrt. However, I have no idea how to install and configure 3rd party firmware so going that route (so to speak) would be a major project.
quesix
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

1 edit

1 recommendation

quesix to pokeefe0001

to pokeefe0001
did you update the firmware? what does the IPv6 config page look like?

does it look like this one?

»kb.linksys.com/Linksys/u ··· id=25279

p.s. IPv6 dns is not required, but you can add static ones on PC such as google public ones (assuming PC may be connected to either connection) 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844.
pokeefe0001
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

pokeefe0001

I did update the firmware. (It was a challenge because I got "Connection reset" during my first 2 attempts. But I finally got through it.) I was wrong about there not being the border node specification - it was just the name server specification that was missing.

I just tried the manual configuration, but it didn't seem to achieve much. Maybe I guessed wrong about "IPv4 Address Mask". Address mask of what IPv4 address? The border router's? Since it was just a single address I tried 32.

Anyway, ipconfig now shows a 6rd IPv6 address - an address with a 2602:: prefix - but still shows no IPv6 name servers. And the Windows Network and Sharing Center display still says I have no IPv6 internet access through that interface.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

1 recommendation

rchandra

Premium Member

don't know for sure, but I'm going to take a WILD guess and say it's looking for a DHCPv6 server and not finding one. The RAs may be specifying RDNSS which is being ignored, or there may not have been any administered.

Either way, as has been mentioned in this thread before, nothing wrong with specifying a connection-specific DNS server list, such as the Google Public or OpenDNS ones. Although the software may assume if there is no DHCPv6 response, the IPv6 network is not OK and refuse to use such RAs.
quesix
Cary, IL

1 recommendation

quesix to pokeefe0001

to pokeefe0001
I believe that address mask should be 0 not 32.

per
»internethelp.centurylink ··· 6rd.html
pokeefe0001
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

pokeefe0001

said by rchandra:

Either way, as has been mentioned in this thread before, nothing wrong with specifying a connection-specific DNS server list, such as the Google Public or OpenDNS ones. Although the software may assume if there is no DHCPv6 response, the IPv6 network is not OK and refuse to use such RAs.

I would have liked to do this in the router rather than my PC, but I gave Windows the addresses of the CenturyLink IPv6 name servers and all is well now. Apparently Windows says there is no IPv6 internet access if it doesn't have access to IPv6 name servers.
said by quesix:

I believe that address mask should be 0 not 32

Since it is working with 32 I decided not to change it.

I had remembered, but had trouble verifying, that /32 (or 255.255.255.255) is shorthand for "a single host address". That is, there is no need for a subnet/host distinction in the address. But a zero length subnet field has exactly the same meaning. It looks like the Linksys N1250 treats them the same.
In one 6rd description I saw the subnet field of the 6rd IPv6 address referred to as the "user administered subnet". I think must ISP customers would not have this, but I could be way off base there.