spc
Search similar:

uniqs

msanta
ATT U-verse
join:2005-05-30
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta

Replacing the Actiontec: Part 3 or Part 4????

I am trying to upgrade my home network and purchased a Linksys to use as the primary router. I have TV, Internet & phone(CALLER ID) and four boxes, three of the boxes are HD and one of them is a DVR where I record the movies and can watch them on the other HD boxes. As you probably read my other postings about the set up, I am still confused as to which of the set ups is more beneficial for my home. What would you recommend? Should I go with part 3 LAN to WAN or part 4 LAN to LAN? I want to use the wireless features of the new router and just keep the Quantum for the services.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

It really doesn't make muh difference if you're only using the Quantum router for the STBs. The only time it would really make a difference is if you hang devices off the Quantum router and you want those devices on the same subnet i.e. be able to see devices on the primary router. In that case, LAN-to-LAN is preferred.

msanta
ATT U-verse
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta

Thanks!
msanta

1 edit

msanta to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Can I switch the ethernet cable from LAN to WAN on the Fios router without changing the router's configuration? Will I loose connection to the STB's?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by msanta:

Can I switch the ethernet cable from LAN to WAN on the Fios router without changing the router's configuration?

No.

In the LAN-to-LAN configuration both routers must be on the same LAN subnet.

In the LAN-to-WAN configuration, the two routers must have different LAN subnets.

If you change the LAN subnet on the FIOS router, you will need to reboot the STBs.

msanta
ATT U-verse
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta

said by More Fiber:

said by msanta:

Can I switch the ethernet cable from LAN to WAN on the Fios router without changing the router's configuration?

If you change the LAN subnet on the FIOS router, you will need to reboot the STBs.

When you say LAN Subnet you mean the router's ip address or the 255.255.2555.0 Subnet Mask? By the way, how do you change the LAN subnet on the Fios router? I know how to change the router's ip address not the subnet. My primary router's ip is 192.168.1.1 my fios router is 192.168.1.2, the subnet mask is the same(255.255.255.0)

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

I'm referring to the IP addresses of devices on the secondary router's LAN, including the secondary router itself.

I said nothing about subnet mask. That should remain 255.255.255.0 in either configuration.

In a LAN-to-WAN configuration, the secondary router would be 192.168.2.1.

If you have LAN-to-LAN working, why are you worried about LAN-to-WAN configuration?

msanta
ATT U-verse
Pompano Beach, FL

2 edits

msanta

Click for full size
My caller id is not working, everything else is. For some unknown reason to me, the port forwarding rules from the firs router I copied are not working when I create them on my Linksys router. For example, STB 192.168.1.104 has udp port 63147 forwarded, but next to the ip address it says 63145, however on my Linkksys router I have a field for internal and external port. I don't know which one is internal or external. Also there is a tcp rule too for the stb, with the number 35004 forwarded to the box and a 35000 port next to the stb's box ip. Very confusing. I was thinking that maybe because I have the LAN to LAN configuration instead of LAn to WAN caller id is not working. Those are my port forwarding rules from the router. What do I use for external and internal ports?
These are my port forwarding rules: What are my internal and external ports?
msanta

msanta

When I bridged my Quantum router I turned DHCP off and gave the router a static ip address. Everything works fine, both my primary router and the first router are on the same subnet. Option 7, which is what I followed doesn't mention about both routers having different subnets. What is your opinion on that?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to msanta

MVM

to msanta
said by msanta:

What is your opinion on that?

If it works, keep it.

Now, if you're like me, I like to play with all the options. (Well, I used to until I found what worked best for me.) This is how I learned what I know today. Don't stop. However, it's easier to follow what you're doing as you try different things by keeping it in the same topic.

Option 7 uses the same subnet as the primary router because it is connected LAN to LAN. Option 6 is connected WAN to LAN and uses two different subnets because the WAN IP address (which allows it to connect to primary) cannot be on the same subnet as its LAN address.

msanta
ATT U-verse
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta

Option 7 so far is working for me except I can't get the port forwarding rules to stick. It seems that every STB has its specific port. For example, before I prepared the fios router the STB's had their ip's with their respective ports for their services, which you can't delete, I guess because the kind of service they provide.

stb1=192.168.1.100
stb2=192.168.1.101
stb3=192.168.1.102
stb4=192.168.1.103

Now that the fios router is connected is connected to my linksys via LAN port, the boxes have different ip's
stb1=192.168.1.191
stb2=192.168.1.207
stb3=192.168.1.174
stb4=192.168.1.179

When I create the port forwarding rules, which ip's should I use? The new or the old ips'?

There was also another device/ip in the port forwarding rules
192.168.1.104 which had a port forwarding rule and didn't appear in my network devices. I don't know what to do with that. I know some people with this kind of configuration have been able to get everything working including the on screen caller id, which is the only thing that does't work by me. If all of my boxes are working why caller id is not? Sorry for the long post, it's so frustrating and time consuming, and I don't want give it up yet!

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

If CallerID is important, make the Actiontec primary.
If Asus features are important, then make the Asus secondary to Actiontec WAN to LAN.

If an Asus feature does not work because it needs to listen on the internet, find out port and create a port forward in the Actiontec to the Asus.

If that's too much to determine, then make the Asus primary, duplicate the Actiontec port forwards in the Asus and point them to the Actiontec connected WAN to LAN.

If that's too much, give up a feature.

msanta
ATT U-verse
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta

I was able to open the ports TCP35000 to 35003 and 63145 to 63148, the ports that the boxes need,however I was able to do it using my pc's internal ip. When I try to use the boxes they won't open. I am going to try and use the verizon router, I can either use the primary router's ip address.