All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Lazz
join:2015-02-03
Wantagh, NY

Lazz

Questions about installation of NIM-100 (Moca Bridge)

Quick question about the installation of a NIM-100 (Moca Bridge)?

I'm trying to accommodate 9 STB's in my home. Unfortunately, a couple of those STB's are older QIP-2500's, so I'm limited to 7 STBs -- so I assume I'll need a Verizon Tech to install a Moca Bridge to accomodate a couple of more boxes.

My question is -
Is there any specific area (i.e. - next to the Primary Router) that the NIM-100 would have to be connected to? OR, can this NIM-100 be installed in any room where there's already COAX?

And does this COAX have to be split off of the main COAX run from the ONT? (I have an 8-way splitter in my house, off of the main COAX line from the ONT -- can I just have the NIM installed on any of those lines coming out of the 8-way?).

Long story, but I actually had a Verizon Tech here today. He didn't take any action yet, but he was saying he needed to put this NIM right next to my Main Router, which I actually do NOT want. If anyone can give me some clarification on this, I'd appreciate it.

And also, one more question -
It's hard to gather this answer from the FAQ info, but how exactly would the installation of this NIM-100 look? (Physically, that is....). Any ethernet involved? (Everything in my home is via COAX!!).

Thanks in advance!

Acc708
join:2008-06-28

Acc708

If he installs a nim, then consider yourself lucky. We haven't been able to get them in years. What I would recommend would be to evaluate what you have and compare against upgrading your boxes so that they are all hd capable and compare the price. Remember, they give a discount for multiple stb's now that may make it easier to accomplish what you are trying to do. The updated moca 1.1 allows for more than 7 stb's.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth to Lazz

to Lazz
Do you really need 9 STBs?
Meaning if you have some SD TVs, can you get away with using digital adpaters that don't count as a moca device that counts against the limit.
Lazz
Wantagh, NY

Lazz to Acc708

to Acc708
said by Acc708:

If he installs a nim, then consider yourself lucky. We haven't been able to get them in years. What I would recommend would be to evaluate what you have and compare against upgrading your boxes so that they are all hd capable and compare the price. Remember, they give a discount for multiple stb's now that may make it easier to accomplish what you are trying to do. The updated moca 1.1 allows for more than 7 stb's.

I actually had a Verizon Tech here today who was going to install the NIM! I told him to hold off, because I wanted to see if I could do anything with the STB situation.

I would think they would HAVE to do this, because my 8th STB will NOT work correctly without this....and I have been paying to rent this for over a month now....
Lazz

Lazz to crgauth

to crgauth
Hi,

Obtaining 2 Digital Adapters would be 5.99/month for each. I don't want to pay another 12/month (144/year) to make this happen, especially without the features of a STB (i.e. - no Multi Room DVR capability).

Therefore, I'm looking to get this NIM installed to solve my problem..

Acc708
join:2008-06-28

Acc708 to Lazz

to Lazz
They don't have to do anything. The system should have blocked the order from go.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to Lazz

to Lazz
said by Lazz:

It's hard to gather this answer from the FAQ info, but how exactly would the installation of this NIM-100 look? (Physically, that is....). Any ethernet involved?

Hi again,
The Nim-100 is a coax to ethernet adapter aka MoCA. To setup another MoCA network, one Nim-100, or any other MoCA adapter has to be close enough to the router to make an ethernet connection to the router, the other device MoCA adapter or old Actiontec is usually located in another remote location and connected via coax, if using an Actiontec router, the ethernet ports can be used to connect whatever, and the wireless can be enabled if desired to provide better coverage for your wireless devices.
The connection near the router is normally going to be a splitter with one leg to the Nim-100 and the other to the Verizon router's coax. Then an ethernet goes from the Nim-100 to an ethernet port on the router. Both the Nim-100 and the other new device need to be configured to use a MoCA channel beyond the default 1000MGz, I recommend 1250MGz frequency, as a G1100 uses 2 adjoining bands.
You don't necessarily need a Nim-100, a couple of older Actiontec router can be used in a similiar fashion or any 2 configurable MoCA adapters can do the same thing.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Lazz

MVM

to Lazz
Click for full size
said by Lazz:

It's hard to gather this answer from the FAQ info, but how exactly would the installation of this NIM-100 look? (Physically, that is....). Any ethernet involved?

This FAQ was writen with the intent of running two separate MOCA channels to get around the 7 device limitation specifically for MOCA bridges. fcfc2 See Profile's response was addressing this configuration. That FAQ was not intended to deal with more than 7 STBs. That FAQ created a second MOCA channel (e.g. D2). Unfortunately all VZ STBs operate only on channel D1.

I already explained in an earlier response how you can run more than 7 STBs using a NIM-100. You need to create two channel D1 networks. In order to do that, you need to isolate the MOCA signals from each other, yet you want the video to feed both "networks". That was the reason for the POE filter which blocks the MOCA signals from traversing the two network segments, while letting the video pass. The NIM100 would need to be in close proximity to both an ethernet connection (typically the router) and a coax connection (typically the main splitter). The above diagram should help.
Lazz
Wantagh, NY

Lazz

fcfc2 and More Fiber,

Thanks for the detailed info - I definitely understand this better now!