Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

Upgrade Question

I called TWC yesterday to upgrade my internet speed from 30Mbps to 50Mbps.
Somehow I ended up with phone service now. In the end the rep said it would be cheaper if I bundled my internet and TV with the phone service (even if I did not use the phone service). So now I have DVR-HDTV, 50Mbps and Phone Service PLUS they gave me HBO all for $30 cheaper than what I was paying with just DVR-HDTV, 30Mbps.
Don't understand how adding more speed and a phone PLUS HBO got me a lower price but I'll take it.

Little did I know that I needed a new modem. They are sending me one and should have it by tomorrow. I forgot to ask what model it was. But he said it would do all that my SBG6580 does.
Could this be true (WiFi and 4 port gigabit)?
Any ideas of what type it could be?
Also, would everything work if I don't connect a phone to it?
I don't have a land line and really wasn't looking for one.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by Merak75:

I called TWC yesterday to upgrade my internet speed from 30Mbps to 50Mbps.
Somehow I ended up with phone service now. In the end the rep said it would be cheaper if I bundled my internet and TV with the phone service (even if I did not use the phone service). So now I have DVR-HDTV, 50Mbps and Phone Service PLUS they gave me HBO all for $30 cheaper than what I was paying with just DVR-HDTV, 30Mbps.
Don't understand how adding more speed and a phone PLUS HBO got me a lower price but I'll take it.

Little did I know that I needed a new modem. They are sending me one and should have it by tomorrow. I forgot to ask what model it was. But he said it would do all that my SBG6580 does.
Could this be true (WiFi and 4 port gigabit)?
Any ideas of what type it could be?
Also, would everything work if I don't connect a phone to it?
I don't have a land line and really wasn't looking for one.

The modem might be the Arris TG1672. It's a 16x4 modem but the wifi sucks ass. Get a wifi router from Amazon it would alot better than the Arris and the Motorola. I would get this.
»www.amazon.com/RT-AC68U- ··· us+ac68u

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

Well, I had to log into my TW account and noticed that the modem is all ready listed under my devices. It's a TG852, at least that's what the PDF user guide says that is linked under the device.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

I would exchange it for a TG1672.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by OpTiC :

I would exchange it for a TG1672.

the 1600 series modems are likely only to be available in MAXX markets not in all areas OpTic just like the DCX3600M DVR.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

No it's also in Ohio a user in Ohio got their hands on the TG1672.

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

If the TG852 can handle 50Mbps then I'm cool with it. I currently have a WiFi Router just as an access point hooked up to my SBG6580. I'll be using that with the new one.

The phone part, does a phone HAVE to be hooked up to it?

Lowtarget
Premium Member
join:2003-12-22
Alger, OH

Lowtarget to Merak75

Premium Member

to Merak75
You don't have to have a phone hooked unless you want one.

If you want to hook up a phone there is a option. Where only approved numbers can call you on the phone. We used to get many phone calls per day over dumb stuff.

Once we turned ON where only approved numbers can call us. Which is just friends and family members. Anyone else that try's to call us just get a message. Like "Sorry but they are not taking phone calls right now"

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

1 recommendation

Merak75

MVM

Thanks everyone.