onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

[OS X] Moving to an SSD with MacBook Pro

I know there are numerous Google results for such a thing but I wanted to ask a group of more trustworthy sources (aka you guys here) what is the best way to go about it?

I found this, and it seems like a good tutorial to follow.

But does anyone here recommend a different manner? Fresh install of the OS perhaps?

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

I don't see a link in your post... However if you are putting an SSD in your MBP, I would do a fresh install.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Aaaah...I copied the link, but never pasted it.

»discussions.apple.com/do ··· DOC-4741

Fresh install...yeah that's what I was thinking of going with as well.
onebadmofo

onebadmofo

Premium Member

So I'd do a fresh install, then restore my items from a Time Machine Backup correct?

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
OWC (macsales.com) has tutorials and good products (their SSD is based on Sandforce and doesn't have TRIM issues that other non-Apple SSDs).
You can use DriveGenius (duplicate) and clone over to SSD (usb to sata adaptor).
cableties

cableties to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Yes. You can use TM backup to restore from.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Does time machine back up systems settings or just apps, files, docs, pics, etc.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by onebadmofo:

Does time machine back up systems settings or just apps, files, docs, pics, etc.

If I remember correctly, it backs up everything.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
I just did this a couple days ago. Here is what I did....

Bought a SATA -> USB adapter and plugged the SSD into the MacBook Pro. Used a program called SuperDuper to make an exact clone of the present hard drive. Then installed the SSD drive. Booted up perfectly with the new drive and retained each and every setting since it was a clone.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Sounds like a smooth transition.

What I'm trying to figure out is, my macbook had an incident where it decided to not boot. It was hanging on the Apple Logo boot screen at about 50% on the progress bar.

I'm hoping that doing a clone, or even a restore from a Time Machine doesn't possibly bring over that issue. It's only done it once. I actually had to restore it from a Time Machine backup and then it rebooted fine.

Should I be scared that I will bring that issue with to the SSD? Or will the fact of HAVING the SSD prevent that type of problem from happening?
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
doing a fresh install and then doing a full restore from a time machine backup is redundant. Time machine backs up everything, so restoring from a time machine backup is pretty much the same as cloning your current drive to the new one.

What I would do is do a fresh install and then use migration assistant to move data from the time machine backup. That should only pull user data.

With respect to the non-boot, that sounds like file system or driver corruption, and if you do a fresh install + migration assistant, you shouldn't have to worry about it carrying over.

If you use migration assistant, you'll likely have to redo some settings, as well as install some apps, particularly those from Microsoft or Adobe.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by Daemon:

doing a fresh install and then doing a full restore from a time machine backup is redundant. Time machine backs up everything, so restoring from a time machine backup is pretty much the same as cloning your current drive to the new one.

What I would do is do a fresh install and then use migration assistant to move data from the time machine backup. That should only pull user data.

With respect to the non-boot, that sounds like file system or driver corruption, and if you do a fresh install + migration assistant, you shouldn't have to worry about it carrying over.

If you use migration assistant, you'll likely have to redo some settings, as well as install some apps, particularly those from Microsoft or Adobe.

Ok cool. I'll use Migration Assistant after the fresh install.
OH also...I'm going from a 750GB HDD to a 1TB SSD. Using the Migration Assistant won't bump the 1TB down to 750GB will it?

And do I need to do something with Trim? I remember reading something about that a while ago. Or is that no longer a "thing".

Cause I've seen few videos of guys upgrading to an SSD and they mention nothing about Trim in those videos.
I truly don't know anything about Trim other than hearing that it should be done on a Mac.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium Member
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA

sfogliatelle to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Are you able to do an Apple Hardware Test or its equivalent? My MBP has an optical drive and was purchased with Snow Leopard and hence, a disc which contains the test. Later laptops less the optical drive may have a partition which may contain the Hardware Test. Mine took a shade over 2 hours but if you're concerned about what sounds like it might be hardware related I'd suggest looking into performing that test.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

Ok cool. I'll use Migration Assistant after the fresh install.
OH also...I'm going from a 750GB HDD to a 1TB SSD. Using the Migration Assistant won't bump the 1TB down to 750GB will it?

And do I need to do something with Trim? I remember reading something about that a while ago. Or is that no longer a "thing".

Cause I've seen few videos of guys upgrading to an SSD and they mention nothing about Trim in those videos.
I truly don't know anything about Trim other than hearing that it should be done on a Mac.

Neither migration assistant nor a full restore change the partition table of either disk, so the 1TB will remain a 1TB.

TRIM is a feature that maintains SSD performance over time. You can enable it using third party hacks like TRIM Enabler. Be aware they work fine 98% of the time, but 2% of the time they keep your computer from booting. With Yosemite, it was because unsigned kernel extensions don't load and the enabler modifies the storage kext. The storage kext then didn't load and yosemite couldn't read the drive.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Just did this with my Dad's early 2008 MBP back in December.

I just did a fresh backup of the spiny disk to TimeMachine, swapped the drives and restored it with TimeMachine.

Worked great and the machine was like a brand new baby. It flew! Used a Samsung 840Pro 256GB.

Take your time peeling the lid off and be especially careful putting it back together. I didn't get it secured correctly near the lid release button and it would stick.

Sadly, I think the logic board failed Thursday night on it. Been troubleshooting it and I think she's a goner.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Forgot to mention...I did this yesterday. Damn what a difference! It's almost unbelievable with how fast it is. Boot times, wake up from sleep, opening apps and finder windows, etc. ...just so damn smooth.

HarryTorres
Harry Torres
Premium Member
join:2001-11-21
Easton, PA

HarryTorres

Premium Member

Oh yes it is...I bought a used 2009 MBP, and I didn't even boot it, I opened it, put a solid state drive, and off I went..best thing I did. Also did the same thing to my fiance's 2012 Mac mini. She was already using it for a while, so Time Machine came into play.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Well now that it works so well for me, I'm going to be upgrading all the Macs we have in our office to SSD. I think it's like 5 of them. And I already ordered 2 SSDs just gotta schedule a time to put them in for the end users. Actually the one is for my supervisor and he'll do that himself.
I'll wait another 2 months and then order 2 more.