dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
phantam
join:2010-08-26

phantam

Mikrotik Unnumbered DHCP + Load Balancing w/OSPF?

Kinda a cross post from the MT board, as i can never seem to get a reliable answer over their and you guys have always been helpful in the past.

Ok, So far i have part of this working But want to know if anyone sees anything else i'm missing.

DHCP on MT with Radius for Authentication
Radius sends an IP Address from its allocation table, and Bandwidth Allocation for MT Queue

MT Is giving out a /32, the profile for DHCP has an x.x.x.1 as the gateway for clients.
Arp set to reply-only so no static ip trickery on clients side only works via dhcp (atleast thats how i undestand it)

So far everythings great. No broadcast traffic, people get their IP's queues are working.

Now i started thinking about Availability/Fault Tolerance/Load Balancing.

As it is we have a static route for a big subnet to the MT#1 DHCP Box. I want to activate OSPF and as the DHCP assigns an IP OSPF will advertise the IP and get the route setup (This should be straight forward i think though i havent tested it, right?)

Heres my question, instead of having a MT DHCP box on different vlans across my network, my idea was to do it PPPoE style. 3-4 Mikrotiks all with an interface on the "subscriber vlan" all with DHCP active, customer gets polls for DHCP, whatever box responds first gives the customer the IP each box's PPPoE profile would have that box's /32 gateway ip.

In my mind this should work for load balancing right? OSPF handles routes DHCP response time should more or less balance the clients across the boxes.

Is their anything i'm overlooking that anyone may have experienced that i need to watch out for?

1 Issue i can see already is if 1 box fails, those subscribers are down until their lease expires or until they restart their router/request a new ip from dhcp manually (still better than being completely off with no way to get back online).
phantam

phantam

No one with any ideas on this?