spc
Search similar:

uniqs

McNabb
@hp.com

McNabb

Anon

Modem not bonding to 16 channels

I recently upgraded to 150 meg line on Suddenlink cable internet. the new modem I have an Arris/Motorola SB6183 that is a 16 channel modem by old modem was a motorola docsis 3.0. 8 channel modem. On the new modem,I checked the Modem Status only 8 of the 16 channels are bonding. Tech support originally said they require 16 channels, even though my 8 channel modem was working fine and getting up to full speed. I really didn't need the 16 channel since I was getting full speed on 8 channels, but I figured it would help in the long run. So I bought a 16 channel modem but I'm disappointed I'm only bonding to 8 channels. Does anyone know if there is a setting I can control the number of channels that bond, or is this something Suddenlink controls? I believe the 16 channel modem auto negotiates the number of channels, but I can't find nothing on it. Does anyone know, what I need to ask the tech support to do? I've called them and he really didn't know of anything he could do. He asked me to call back when I'm in front of the modem and see if they could just go through the re reprovision/reset the modem. But he knew of not setting. Anyone got any suggestions?

eh
@suddenlink.net

1 recommendation

eh

Anon

It's unlikely that SL has all 16 downstream channels publicly active on the CMTS. The DOCSIS 3.0 standard with 8 bonded downstream channels is capable of 304Mbps (excluding FEC overhead). The good news is you're future-proof to some degree (up to 608Mbps over 16 channels). But otherwise, it shouldn't be anything to worry about. The modem is acting normally. If you're still curious, a linesman might be able to give you better answer than a tier-1 phone rep.

You can read more on the DOCSIS standard

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle to McNabb

Premium Member

to McNabb
He said it, only a couple markets are turned on to 16 channels, and they are the ones offering the 300 tier.
Jowmu
join:2009-05-04
Lubbock, TX

Jowmu to eh

to eh
Lubbock, TX has 16 bonded down streams and 2 bonded up streams.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

1 edit

motorola870

Tyler, TX apparently has at least 12 downstream channels according a thread here in the Suddenlink forums.

now on the other hand I have TWC in the Dallas metro currently at 8 downstream and 4 upstream bonding and soon to go to 16 downstream 4 upstream bonding to support 300/20 tier also I have a rented SBG6580 right now soon I will be switching to my purchased SB6183 to take advantage of the 16 downstream channels when/before my node gets upgraded to be able to get my speed bump from 15/1 to 50/5 consistently at night due to two 300/20 customers at once being able to congest the node if full download was done consistently.

I do have family in east TX that have or did have Suddenlink and their system only had/has room for 4 DOCSIS downstream channels due to having close to 15 HD channels that are locals. they have locals in HD on: 543MHz, 549MHz 585MHz, 591MHz and 579MHz had 2 SD local subchannels on it around christmas: that Tyler has DOCSIS channels on so I would assume that their area will have to remove analogs or go all digital expanded basic to even try 8, 12, or 16 downstream bonding even after the system being 860MHz.
motorola870

motorola870

I wouldn't be surprised if Suddenlink starts using the 700MHz/800MHz LTE/PCS bands for DOCSIS channels in the future in areas with the 1Gbps tier rollout. TWC here uses 771MHz to 813MHz currently for the DOCSIS channels to take the brunt of the LTE interference apparently. I guess DOCSIS has better error correction than a straight MPEG video data stream?
motorola870

motorola870 to eh

to eh
said by eh :

It's unlikely that SL has all 16 downstream channels publicly active on the CMTS. The DOCSIS 3.0 standard with 8 bonded downstream channels is capable of 304Mbps (excluding FEC overhead). The good news is you're future-proof to some degree (up to 608Mbps over 16 channels). But otherwise, it shouldn't be anything to worry about. The modem is acting normally. If you're still curious, a linesman might be able to give you better answer than a tier-1 phone rep.

You can read more on the DOCSIS standard

hmm actually that is including the FEC and DOCSIS overhead as the DOCSIS carrier is capable of 42Mbps raw data but a net of 38.8 or so Mbps.