uniqs

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to WildByDesign

Premium Member

to WildByDesign

Re: Adobe Flash Player 16.0.0.305

Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8 (KB3021953)

Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8 for X64-based Systems (KB3021953)

Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1 (KB3021953)

Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3021953)

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to WildByDesign

MVM

to WildByDesign
The distribution page now properly displays as the .305 version.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to Phoenix22

Premium Member

to Phoenix22
said by Phoenix22:

computers are/were supposed to simplify one's life.....
as we can all look backwards .......or i can ........20-30 years........this just simply isn't so ...

Yeah... that promise ranks right up there with how computers will make us into a paperless society. Before computers, I never had to buy cartons of printer paper like I do now...

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
said by andyross:

The distribution page now properly displays as the .305 version.

Adobe and Microsoft--working at the speed of, well, snails

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to WildByDesign

Premium Member

to WildByDesign
Hmm. I wonder if all these recent Flash updating fire-drills mean we won't have yet another 'normal' Flash update to look forward to next Tuesday...?

mikeeb
join:2015-01-27
England

1 recommendation

mikeeb to WildByDesign

to WildByDesign
We all want flash to end but HTML5 needs to get better before that will happen
Sadly it looks like we are stuck with it for a little while longer
The next gen of extra smart coders will sort it

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by mikeeb:

The next gen of extra smart coders will sort it

Um..

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to WildByDesign

Premium Member

to WildByDesign
15 hijack flaws patched | see you @ next 0-day

»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· ability/

Some commentary from ARS worth a read - (repeated elsewhere on the Forum)
»arstechnica.com/security ··· s-to-do/
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned) to GuruGuy

to GuruGuy
Click for full size
Got it & kind regards {{{ SMILE }}} ..... just still show FLASH 16.0.0 at Qualys browser check ¿ ¿

mikeeb
join:2015-01-27
England

mikeeb to StuartMW

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

Um..

Exactly.
It will never be sorted

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to WildByDesign

Premium Member

to WildByDesign
Got 13.0.0269 - Thanks
85160670 (banned)
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

WHY ¿ ¿ ..... older vesion is vuln."Adobe Flash Player 16.0.0.305" & this is the latest version

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

quote:
Extended Support Release - Flash Player 13.0.0.269

What is the Extended Support Release?

Adobe makes available a version of Flash Player called the "Extended Support Release" (ESR) to organizations that prefer Flash Player stability over new functionality. We have created a branch of the Flash Player code that we keep up to date with all of the latest security updates, but none of the new features or bug fixes available in our current release branch. This allows organizations to ceritify and stay secure on Flash Player with minimal effort.

We recommend that companies focused on security and stability take a close look at this release option.

»www.adobe.com/products/f ··· on3.html
85160670 (banned)
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

{{{ SMILE }}} ..... THX & ACK, StuartMW, the sky is clear now.
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo to StuartMW

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by WildByDesign:

....why not.

Because Adobe releases new Flash version weekly and changes the filenames meaning you constantly have to update your EMET rules

The "whys" outweigh the why nots, I think. The vulnerabilities are using heap sprays and ROP techniques that EMET was designed to mitigate. If someone doesn't have protecting flash and the web browsers on their short list for EMET protection, I don't see any point in having EMET.

Anyhow, EMET can be scripted, or trparky has created a program to update EMET with the latest Flash versions. I had my script already in place when this latest Flash update came along, and it was a two minute process.

In Windows 7's explorer, there is the "library" concept. So, I created a Flash library with two paths:
C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash and
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

So, I can see quickly if the updates have taken effect. So, there isn't that much work going forward for me on this issue. And Flash does bring me a lot of content. Since 2002, my opinion of the computer is, if it doesn't put streaming video on the television set, the computer is a useless piece of s#!t. And Flash has put a lot of video on that TV set.

3 or 4 years ago, we had to do the monthly hex edit of Flash so that it would stay full screen on the TV while working on the other monitor. Flash is still a bit rough around the edges, but it has come a long way in the last few years. So, for me, updating EMET is nothing.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Yeah I was mostly joking.

I added the Flash .exe's to EMET on my boxes just as you and others have (I used wildcard paths). No biggie.

I saved the configs to .xml files and those are easily edited and re-imported.

dean corso
human.exe
join:2007-09-07

dean corso to WildByDesign

to WildByDesign
Flash and Java are absolute garbage. Wish I didn't need this junk.

Alpha_Tay
join:2003-04-30
Malaysia

Alpha_Tay to WildByDesign

to WildByDesign
»fpdownload.macromedia.co ··· papi.exe

link above still stuck at 296 for ppapi

»fpdownload.adobe.com/get ··· papi.exe

»fpdownload.adobe.com/pub ··· papi.exe

this 2 link can get lastest 305 ppapi

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to WildByDesign

to WildByDesign
Thank you for the updates. Using W7 Pro 64bit with Firefox 35.0.1 and only when I must use it - IE 11.

Today with Flash 296, I was seeing multiple instances [over 20] of it running in Process Explorer. And Firefox locking up. So uninstalled it via the uninstaller from Adobe, ran CCleaner and shut down computer. Restarted up from cold and updated to 305 and still getting same issues.

Uninstall it, run CCleaner, shut down computer and reboot, check its status on this site, the site says it is not installed - »helpx.adobe.com/flash-pl ··· yer.html.

So I let it be uninstalled and went on with normal surfing. So far have not run into a Website that I use that appears to need it. Though time will tell.

I have given up on Adobe Products before without any problems, it's been years since I have used their pdf reader and shockwave. Now Flash is not showing up in FF plugins.

Ran out of time to further research the multiple instances of Flash running.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW to WildByDesign

Premium Member

to WildByDesign
Thanks WildByDesign See Profile got it.
85160670 (banned)
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned)

Do we need "Plug-in" ??? ....... mine is NOT installed & did I miss something ¿
Frodo

Frodo

You'll only need Plug-in if something isn't working. IE uses the ActiveX version. Firefox and other browsers would be using the NPAPI Plugin, but you would only need this if you use these browsers AND need the capability of viewing flash in these browsers.

I'm thinking the PPAPI flash is for Chrome? Not sure, but that one shows as not installed on my computer.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW to WildByDesign

Premium Member

to WildByDesign
The NPAPI Plug-in is for Mozzilla browser such as firefox etc. The PPAPI plug-in is for Chrome, you would only need the plug-in for those such browsers only if you use them.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by MarkAW:

The NPAPI Plug-in is for Mozzilla browser such as firefox etc. The PPAPI plug-in is for Chrome, you would only need the plug-in for those such browsers only if you use them.

Why would you need a PPAPI plug-in for Chrome when it is already baked into and a part of chrome itself.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

1 edit

redwolfe_98 to 85160670

Premium Member

to 85160670
said by 85160670:

Do we need "Plug-in" ???

if you use the "firefox" browser, you need to install the version of "flash player" for firefox..

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
said by GuruGuy:

Why would you need a PPAPI plug-in for Chrome when it is already baked into and a part of Chrome itself.

Oh, so THAT's prob'ly why the Chrome browser had to begin their rabid-release cycle - to accommodate all of the flakey Flash updates.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by GuruGuy:

Why would you need a PPAPI plug-in for Chrome when it is already baked into and a part of Chrome itself.

Oh, so THAT's prob'ly why the Chrome browser had to begin their rabid-release cycle - to accommodate all of the flakey Flash updates.

:))
85160670 (banned)
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned) to Frodo

to Frodo
Click for full size
Rogers Frodo ...... indeed PPAPI integrated with CHROME & seldom use IE-11 just there as reserve without NPAPI. Just tested YOUTUBE and working fine without flash plug-in {{{ SMILE }}} THX & ACK again ..... Frodo *_*
Frodo

Frodo to WildByDesign

to WildByDesign
It turns out that PPAPI is expanding to all Chromium browsers, so it seems.

Since I have Opera installed, (although I don't use it,) I installed PPAPI and Opera does see it. So now my Flash control panel show:

Here's EMET

WildByDesign
join:2014-09-05
Canada

WildByDesign

said by Frodo:

It turns out that PPAPI is expanding to all Chromium browsers, so it seems.

That's correct, and a good thing too since the PPAPI sandbox was able to prevent the recent Flash exploits from doing any damage to the system.

Personally, I still have the NPAPI Flash installed for very infrequent Firefox usage but I specifically disable the NPAPI Flash under chrome://plugins in Chrome/Chromium to ensure that only the PPAPI version is utilized in Chrome. Typically Chrome would only utilize the PPAPI Flash if, for some reason, it had a higher version number or if PPAPI was disabled.

I wonder if Firefox will ever switch over to PPAPI somehow? Or maybe they are going forward with sandboxing plugins in their own way still.