spc
Search similar:

uniqs
codydog
join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI

codydog

[RI] Considering switching to Cox from Verizon

Currently on Fios, but they cut out my discount on 75/75 and considering switching back to Cox

Any thoughts or concerns? The Cox 100/20 would be about a $25/month savings, the 150/20 about $15.

How is latency, uptime etc?

Thanks for your help, as always

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Premier with SB6141 in South Kingstown. Latency is decent, with things going north seeming to take a quicker route then south. Ultimate comes with 3 DHCP IP's which you can make use of with a unmanaged switch before your router. Speaking of routers, get a separate one, stay away from the gateways. Make sure your signal levels are on the mark and you should be golden.

Download speed 63536 Kbps
Upload speed 7642 Kbps
D/load COS 89 %
U/load COS 31 %
Min RTT 23 ms
Max RTT 28 ms
Avg RTT 24 ms
RTT Consistency 82 %
Max Delay 67 ms
Avg Delay 1 ms
Effective Speed 66488 Kbps
Route Speed - Kbps
Forced Idle 70 %
Route Conc 1.0
Download test s
Upload test s
Test Bandwidth Speed
ptuck874
join:2008-10-28

ptuck874 to codydog

to codydog
We moved from Fios area, to Cox area that Fios isnt available, in all truth the internet is fine and dandy, have the 100/20 with most of the time getting like 120/25. You seriously should consider for the savings.
codydog
join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI

codydog

Thanks! Will try to get the discount one last time, and if I don't, will call Cox back!
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

I was forced to move from Verizon to Cox because of selling our house and temporarily moving into an apartment that didn't have Cox service. We fully intended to move back to Verizon when we move again in July, but to be honest we are torn. Cox has been rock solid in the apartment. Streaming video loads more quickly and stays at HD quality better than it did on Verizon.

basit
join:2003-11-25
Portsmouth, VA

basit to codydog

to codydog
I moved from Cox to Verizon almost 2 years ago and I'm thinking about going back to Cox. TV is fine, but the internet is slow, even though my speed tests come back 75/75, you tube is always buffering. Used to have the same problem with Netflix until they squeezed them for more cash and now Netflix runs smooth.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

That was my experience with Verizon as well. Cox in all honesty has been more consistent with downloads. Obviously uploads are slower, but the number of times I need to upload large amounts of data is few and far between.

corey389
join:2001-06-17
Warwick, RI

corey389 to codydog

to codydog
I had fios in the ri area it had a lot of slow downs in the day time and could barley stream Netflicks and Amazon kept buffering i had fios 150/150 and now i have cox ultimate i have no problems streaming any thing. I would like to switch back to fios for the upload but in the forums i still hear of bad routing and slowdowns oh when i called fios about my problems they said i needed a faster connection lol. I would go to Cox for internet and VZ for TV

Ender3rd
join:2001-07-15
Connecticut
·Frontier FiberOp..

Ender3rd to codydog

to codydog

I am on the "Premiere" internet tier and have found the connection to be very reliable, very fast 24/7, with very low latency for really smooth online gaming. The two speedtests shown were done a month apart and are reliably reproduced daily. I use a Motorola SBG 6580 providing 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels (with the integrated router disabled) and the "uptime" can run for months without interruption. A week ago we lost power here due to a storm so my current uptime is 6.5 days with the modem diagnostics reporting 0 uncorrectable and 4 total correctable errors during the past week. I'm a happy camper with Cox and bundle phone/television/internet with them.

Good luck with whichever path you choose.

Ender
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

Rakeesh to codydog

to codydog
FWIW cable is always going to have higher latency than fiber. It's also not quite as reliable as fiber in that you have to deal with RF signaling, which is prone to noise, interference, etc.

Termites
@cox.net

Termites

Anon

nothing wrong with Verizon Currently? only the price...call their Retention department up