All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

Price Protection and no more 2Mbps

Looking at the latest ad for WOW! that comes in the local ad paper and they are touting their Price Protection Package.

"At WOW! we want you to know exactly what your bundle price is going to be. Not just for the first few months, but five years from today. That's why we're excited to bring to you our Price Protection Package. We promise your monthly bundle price won't increase more than $5 per year for the next 5 years. It's peace of mind you deserve brought to you by our award-winning customer service."

The small print is interesting as it lists 4Mbps internet. Sure enough on their website the lowest speed is now 4Mbps, which they say is only available as part of a bundle. So will they up those on 2/1 to 4/1?
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

It still puzzles me their promo new subscriber price on internet.

$30 a month for 4 meg
$20 a month for 15 meg
$30 a month for 30 meg

Why even get the 4 meg when the 30 meg is the same price? Get the 30 meg service then after the promo ends, just downgrade it to save money.
baess

baess

said by Body Count:

It still puzzles me their promo new subscriber price on internet.

$30 a month for 4 meg
$20 a month for 15 meg
$30 a month for 30 meg

Why even get the 4 meg when the 30 meg is the same price? Get the 30 meg service then after the promo ends, just downgrade it to save money.

Yes, if just taking Internet. But for bundles you can get X TV package with 4Mbps for less $ than with 15Mbps, etc.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to baess

Premium Member

to baess
said by baess:

So will they up those on 2/1 to 4/1?

This was actually done about 2 months ago.
baess

baess

said by Just_Dan:

said by baess:

So will they up those on 2/1 to 4/1?

This was actually done about 2 months ago.

Don't recall anyone posting about it. That is something I would have thought would be mentioned. I seem to recall a recent post where someone said they had 2/1.

Anyone want to chime in if their 2/1 was moved to 4/1?

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI
GL.iNet GL-B1300
Netgear CM500

mix to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
Was it now? I get 3/1 Mbps on the 2/1 Mbps plan on all speedtest sites I try. Here is the WOW speed test result from moments ago...

Last Result:
Download Speed: 2953 kbps (369.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 909 kbps (113.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 26 ms
2/5/2015, 9:25:33 PM
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to baess

to baess
Why don't they do what Comcast did and double the speeds of all their tiers?

WOW_James
Premium Member
join:2014-12-04
Woodland, GA

WOW_James to mix

Premium Member

to mix
mix,
When was the last time you rebooted your modem?

James

mix
Romeo, MI

mix

Just rebooted it per reading this. Still stuck at a solid 2.95 Mbps. Do I need a DOCSIS 2.0+ modem to get 4 Mbps? I believe the modem I currently rent is 1.0...
mix

mix

Well, out of curiosity, I logged into the WOW Online Account manager and pushed a refresh to my cable modem. Upon reboot, it now gets slightly over 4 Mbps download speeds.

Download Speed: 4053 kbps (506.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 948 kbps (118.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 33 ms
2/10/2015, 7:56:10 PM
baess

baess

said by mix:

Well, out of curiosity, I logged into the WOW Online Account manager and pushed a refresh to my cable modem. Upon reboot, it now gets slightly over 4 Mbps download speeds.

Download Speed: 4053 kbps (506.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 948 kbps (118.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 33 ms
2/10/2015, 7:56:10 PM

At least this thread had some benefit . Though I wonder how many others could have the speed upgrade but don't know about it and/or wouldn't know how to do it since just a reboot didn't seem to work.

mix
Romeo, MI

mix

Yeah it didn't work. I rebooted numerous times...

WOW_James
Premium Member
join:2014-12-04
Woodland, GA

WOW_James

Premium Member

I am not sure that a 1.0 modem will do the job... The spec is capable of the speeds, but i'm not sure how our provisioning system will work with it. Even if it will... Get rid of that thing. A 3.0 modem will perform much more reliably. with 1.0 and 2.0 you are limiting yourself to what might be a congested single downstream. You can get much better overall performance with a newer modem.

As for the 4M upgrade. If a reboot doesn't get you 4M/s performance, then you may want to call in to the support line. They should have someone with answers about docsis 1.0 modems, and also be able to push a new config for your modem. After that and a Reboot, I would expect you to be good.
LittleBigToe
join:2005-08-06
Prospect Heights, IL

LittleBigToe to mix

to mix
quote:
Just rebooted it per reading this. Still stuck at a solid 2.95 Mbps. Do I need a DOCSIS 2.0+ modem to get 4 Mbps? I believe the modem I currently rent is 1.0...
Just out of curiosity, how do you rent a 1.0 modem? from WOW?
rustybx
join:2014-01-06

rustybx

said by LittleBigToe:

Just out of curiosity, how do you rent a 1.0 modem? from WOW?

Easy. Be a longtime customer. I had an SB4200 until last year.
WFE
join:2013-01-03
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit

WFE to baess

to baess
Would like to say thanks to this whole thread I am now getting 4Mbps download speed. I knew they had done an increase in speed (thanks to DSL reports) but I had never gone higher than 3Mbps. Reset modem a few times and had no effect. Called WOW and 1st rep blamed it on my router so hooked computer directly to the WOW modem and called back. Talked with someone different and they "reset" my modem and bam 4Mbps.
My WOW experience!