spc
Search similar:

uniqs
cubsn7
join:2002-11-07
Grayslake, IL

cubsn7

Uverse + PS4 recent issue

Long story - I'm outside of Chicago and have Uverse. The kids got a PS4 for this past Christmas and we've all been happily playing Destiny ever since. That is, until Monday morning. Since Monday AM Destiny will run for between 2-10 minutes before either freezing or crashing back to the menu. What does this have to do with the internet? I'm getting to that. The crash appears to be linked to interacting with others in the virtual world. I've talked to Sony and Bungie and they both point fingers at one another, but I'm starting to think the issue is with my connection. The specific error (which isn't specific at all) is CE-34878-0. This is a sort of catch all error code for Sony that was linked in the past to corrupt files, but it basically serves, from what I can tell, as a basic game crashed code.

Okay, so after exhaustive trouble shooting (rebuilding data bases, wiping the system, reinstalling Destiny over and over) the problem persists. I've also reset the gateway, assigned the PS4 a static IP, put it in the DMZ, etc, to no avail. None of the other games I play have an issue. A couple of points, there are no local saves for Destiny, it is all server side. Therefore there is no (little?) chance that after reinstalling several times that there is a corrupt file associated with Destiny - like I said it was working fine since Christmas.

All of this digging and fiddling and back and forth have lead me to believe that the issue is with my Uverse line. When I run a speed test (and I know they aren't super reliable, but they can be useful to point out major issues) there is wide variability on overall speed and continuity and it feels like the internet occasionally hangs on my desktop as well. What I suspect is happening is that when I load the game I get a minute or two of a solid connection and then a hiccup causes me to lose sync with the Destiny servers and the game crashes.

TL/DR - is there a way to talk to AT&T direct or tier two (or whom ever) to have my line checked? Checked not just for max upload and download, I don't think bandwidth is the issue. I think the issue is that the connection is spotty and intermittent. Even a brief packet loss would probably cause the game to crash or freeze. If it matters, we just got almost 2 feet of snow the evening before the issue first appeared.

Any help would be appreciated. Thoughts and suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Milwaukee PT

Anon

download the myatt app (orange background with blue/white globe).
Log in with your att email/password to your account, find the troubleshoot section and run the program.
This runs the same (5) tests that are ran when calling in for support, a green check mark means no problem detected while an issue discovered would assist in creating a repair ticket for tech dispatch (4 hour window).

As no other issue reported such as freezing or pixel on TV, other internet issue I would not expect line problem.
A loose connection or moisture in line (snow melt) would be affecting all your services not just game to a particular server. If issue is routing, could try changing DNS list on PS4 if supported.
cubsn7
join:2002-11-07
Grayslake, IL

cubsn7

Thanks. Yeah, I tried to change DNS previously and the problem persists. The app you suggested shows no issues with the line. As other online games are not having an issue I think that the issue is either with my router, the PS4 or with that particular games reported low tolerance for higher pings/latency. Just odd that that game worked fine for a month and then suddenly stopped working all together.

I contacted Sony and they are willing to "service" or exchange my console. I also called AT&T and they are sending someone out this weekend to... check the line. I currently have my original RG from 4 or 5 years ago (2 wire 3801HGV). If they offer, or deem it necessary, to try a new router are their newer (read: better) RG's I should ask for? I don't want the solution to be worse than the problem. Thanks!!!