uniqs

fegul
Premium Member
join:2004-08-23
united state

fegul

Premium Member

[General] Looking for VoIP solution that works on Android and desktops

Not sure if this is the right place to post but I'm looking for a VoIP solution that would work for remote users (based on 3G) as well as on a computer in an office environment.

•Works on Android phones as well as on desktops (preferably a web-based client)
•Is highly tolerant to network issues/reliable (3G connection speed and quality may vary wildly)
•Lightweight on system resources on the phone
•Small bandwidth requirements

Any suggestions on where to start? I've just set up two GetOnSIP accounts on two different phones and tried calling but it's not working.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

What is the system supposed to do? Is it just an intercom (calling between the stations you are setting up), or do you want to make and receive calls from regular phones? If the latter, where will you be calling? Approximate expected usage? Why do you want to avoid the cellular voice path?

For intercom use, I'd recommend Skype or Google Hangouts -- see which is more tolerant of your network conditions.

For US calling, look at Hangouts Dialer, VoxOx, or CallWithUs using SILK codec on CSipSimple.

fegul
Premium Member
join:2004-08-23
united state

fegul

Premium Member

Good question, so yes it is an intercom system

I had been having issues with Hangouts where it wouldn't ring reliably within GMail if the user was on a different tab. I'll check to see if there's a way to fix that.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

said by fegul:

I had been having issues with Hangouts where it wouldn't ring reliably within GMail if the user was on a different tab. I'll check to see if there's a way to fix that.

It's not my area of expertise, but if you can't find an easy fix, I'd try opening Gmail in a separate instance of Chrome, where it's the only tab. Or, try it in Firefox (if your normal browser is Chrome), or vice-versa.
Expand your moderator at work
BinaryTB
join:2008-08-11
Rockville, MD

BinaryTB to fegul

to fegul

Re: [General] Looking for VoIP solution that works on Android and desktops

said by fegul:

Try the official Chrome Hangouts Extension and/or Chrome Hangouts App (yup, they're different things). That way Gmail doesn't need to be open, that's how I use it and calls come in regardless of what tab I'm using.