uniqs

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Realplayer

I checked on another user about keeping up with Flash, and he got a McAfee download along with Realplayer. He said he looked and there was no checkbox. We use Eset.

I asked him why he was using Realplayer, and he said that's what the videos on Youtube want. (He plays bass along with the music)

Does Realplayer handle HTML5?

The computer is brand new built for his use. 7 Home. Nothing extra on it. What video service like Youtube would tell you to download Realplayer? I use flashblock and I get asked to allow or install Flash - not Realplayer.

He uses FX and it is updated. I've never seen any app ask for RealPlayer.

I can get rid of it, so I don't need clean up. I just want to know what asked for it.
HappyFrappy
join:2000-10-04
North

HappyFrappy

Never heard of YouTube nagging to install Realplayer but there have been ads on YouTube at one point showing the social networking integration of YouTube+Realplayer.

Sometime around Realplayer 14 or so you could browse HTML5 media services via the built-in browser and current version allows accessing VEVO content from YouTube with shorter ads(30 sec)--Realplayer supported MP4/H264 codecs since version 8. I'm guessing he used the RealPlayer installer which bundled McAfee Security Toolbar/Advisor unless you unclick the checkbox. (Edit: seems like Flash is randomly bundled with Realplayer+McAfee if you aren't careful)

Realplayer has a browser add-on which allows users to grab(download) YouTube videos and make offline playlists, some musicians use it for practice & sometimes play-along recordings via Realplayer Producer. Outside of those features, Realplayer is fairly useless for most users. (I rarely use Windows, OS X Realplayer is very basic in comparison)
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
And here I thought that RealPlayer was dead and buried! It was total bloatware nearly 20 years ago so I can't imagine what it would be like today.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

I wonder if that's how he wound up with RealPlayer. I'll ask. I thought it was defunct also.

He saw a notice on YouTube to upgrade or update RealPlayer and he clicked on it.He said there was no box to uncheck for McAfee. I finally said that if God himself put a notice to upgrade anything on YouTube, DON'T DO IT. He also tends to click the first entry in a search.