Search similar:

uniqs
BCM25
join:2012-05-19

BCM25 to Michail

to Michail

Re: [Caps] Customer for 14 years, no cap issues until new modem/router

said by Michail:

I don't think 105 Mbps would be seen any differently to streaming services than 50 Mbps would. You'd need to be less than 10 Mbps for that to be a factor.

Yet another factor I hadn't really put too much thought into! Just a few posts ago I was convinced that the usage increase was due to Netflix being able to stream higher-quality videos now that we've got the highest tier.

I don't know what to think anymore. I'm afraid to call and bitch to Comcast about it because... well what can I really have them do about it? And as far as Netflix quality goes, I hadn't really noticed a difference between the 50 to 105, so you seem to be right in that regard.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

Yeah, if you had a house full of people downloading like mad it might make a difference. But using that much bandwidth would take some effort. You should be able to fit 10+ simultaneous full quality Netflix streams on a 50 Mbps line.
Michail

Michail to BCM25

Premium Member

to BCM25
Check your modem to see if there are any unknown connections on WiFi that could be hijacking your service.

IMHO, 300GB isn't that much for residential service in this century. I read somewhere Comcast was going to scrap the 300 GB cap in favor of metered service in the future. However, the metered service was going to be a bit more generous.
ham3843
join:2015-01-15
USA

ham3843

said by Michail:

Check your modem to see if there are any unknown connections on WiFi that could be hijacking your service.

Yep, that was what I was thinking too perhaps a improperly secured
wi fi connection, or not secured at all. It happens.
BCM25
join:2012-05-19

BCM25

Earlier in the thread it was suggested that I check the security. It's secure as well as possible at the moment. I had also figured it was due to Comcast's new Wifi hotspot thing with their new modems. That was also disabled (from the Xfinity account settings area.)

Still no clue what's going on.
ham3843
join:2015-01-15
USA

ham3843

I be very interested to see what would happen if you were to go back to your original package and old modem/router.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to Michail

Premium Member

to Michail
said by Michail:

IMHO, 300GB isn't that much for residential service in this century. I read somewhere Comcast was going to scrap the 300 GB cap in favor of metered service in the future. However, the metered service was going to be a bit more generous.

If they go to a metered service they probably start you at 0 and charge you 25cents per gigabyte with a standard $25.00 a month charge. That the way it done with electric and gas service.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to BCM25

Premium Member

to BCM25
It was a comment made by the CEO last year. From the way it read it didn't sound too terrifying. It was much more generous than a 300GB cap.

I'd be back to U-verse in a flash if Comcast becomes a PITA when it comes to bandwidth. Though AT&T has a policy, they just couldn't enforce it and quietly dropped it.