spc
Search similar:

uniqs
GonePostalWV5
join:2014-02-12
Hurricane, WV

GonePostalWV5

Free upgrade half works. Slow download, increased upload speed

I have been upgraded to the 75 DL speed in West Virginia. Before the free upgrade I normally hit my 50mbps download speed. Now that I have received the upgrade, I usually hit around 34 down/ 8 upload.

I have had the techs out twice. I have a Motorola SB6141 modem and my firmware is dated back in 2013. Online tech support tried to force thru an upgrade on the firmware, but nothing came thru. Any thoughts why my speeds have dropped like this ?

I am receiving a good signal from Suddenlink, around 35 if I remember right. I would like to have the 75 speed... but if I cannot get this resolved I am going to be forced to drop down to the new 50, and just learn to live with it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Turbo Mach 5
join:2008-05-29
San Augustine, TX

Turbo Mach 5

What router do you have?
GonePostalWV5
join:2014-02-12
Hurricane, WV

GonePostalWV5

I'd have to check my router to be sure of the model number, but I'm not sure why that should be an issue . I have been bypassing the router and running an ethernet cable straight to my laptop to check my speeds and performance.

My next step is going to be trying one of their modems to prove that the problem is most likely on their end. If the download speed hadn't increased, I'd tend to blame my modem....

PurplePirate
@suddenlink.net

PurplePirate

Anon

said by GonePostalWV5:

I'd have to check my router to be sure of the model number, but I'm not sure why that should be an issue . I have been bypassing the router and running an ethernet cable straight to my laptop to check my speeds and performance.

My next step is going to be trying one of their modems to prove that the problem is most likely on their end. If the download speed hadn't increased, I'd tend to blame my modem....

I assume you were checking the speed using speedtest.net? They are not always so accurate.

I test my speed by starting 10 simultaneous downloades of Windows 7 ISOs directly from Microsoft:

»www.nextofwindows.com/do ··· website/
(caution: link takes you to a Microsoft website)

Add up all the speeds and you should have a fairly accurate reading.

Abyss1992
Premium Member
join:2012-08-18
Spencer, WV

Abyss1992

Premium Member

said by PurplePirate :

I test my speed by starting 10 simultaneous downloades of Windows 7 ISOs directly from Microsoft:

Or he could use a torrent with a lot of seeders.

PurplePirate
@suddenlink.net

PurplePirate

Anon

said by Abyss1992:

said by PurplePirate :

Or he could use a torrent with a lot of seeders.

what's a torrent?

whatever method, I sure the OP cuts off the download after 30 seconds or a minute.

when I checked speeds by starting 10 simultaneous downloads of Microsoft Windows ISOs from Microsoft's website, I accidentally left them downloading.... about an hour later, I ended up wasting almost 43gb of my usage cap.

Abyss1992
Premium Member
join:2012-08-18
Spencer, WV

Abyss1992

Premium Member

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent