·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

1 edit

2 recommendations

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Found a work around for ROKU3 Wireless Interferrence Issue

A month ago, I got a ROKU3. When Wireless connection didn't work (5Ghz), went wired, that worked fine...
Have noticed a recent speed decrease in Wireless at the house which was traced to Roku wireless on same channel as house router!!!

Spent Time Roku Support today.... They tell me that the Roku channel I'm seeing (which happens to be on same channel as my house Wireless, 5Ghz, Channel 36) is the communication to the hand remote, and no one can login to it... other than the remote control... and not to worry. It should not reduce speeds....

Oh, but it does!!!

And if it wasn't crazy enough.... When I changed channels on House Wireless, so did ROKU!!!

So he contacted his technical supervisor, and they thought it wouldn't interact....
Roku is closer to laptop than house wireless router is.....

BUT --- We Found A Work Around!!!

I turned off my local house wireless router, and then power cycled ROKU3.... It then didn't see my house router because it's off.... So it locked to 2Ghz Channel 9..
I then turned on my house wirelss router (5Ghz Channel 36).....
Roku stayed at 2Ghz Channel 9
Laptop connected to 5Ghz Channel 36...
INTERFERENCE IS GONE!!!! SPEEDS BACK TO NORMAL!!!!

Interesting work around,??

I asked that they inform Tech Supervisor of this issue
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

That's pretty nifty. Wish they had an option to just turn the whole thing off.

I have to reboot my Roku3 on occasion because it acts weird. I'd have to remember to turn the AP off each time which would be a pain.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

2 edits

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Well the guy told me that that wireless is how the hand held controller communicates with the black box.... I had asked that, too!

I am trying to wrap my mind around why it would lock and follow one signal, but can't for the life of me determine why..... and tech kept saying it shouldn't be an issue...
In case anyone needs it, Roku's Tech Support # is: 888-600-7658.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to Jan Janowski

Premium Member

to Jan Janowski
That's great and all. But I don't use that remote at all. I use a Harmony Ultimate which controls the Roku via IR.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

said by ke4pym:

That's great and all. But I don't use that remote at all. I use a Harmony Ultimate which controls the Roku via IR.

That's great and all. But that does not contribute to 'Ski's post. His post was about his Roku wireless issue and how he fixed it.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by ImpldConsent:

said by ke4pym:

That's great and all. But that does not contribute to 'Ski's post. His post was about his Roku wireless issue and how he fixed it.

And yours contributes how?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Jan Janowski

Premium Member

to Jan Janowski
What are you using to determine the channel used by the Roku remote?

Thanks.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid
(this is what I put in the shortcut)

It shows all the neighbors and stuff in the range of the laptop.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Bizarre. At first the wlan show networks command only showed the network I was connected to (at which point I began to doubt your advice )

I was fooling around with wlan show all which seemed more useful. But then I tried the original command again, and now it shows all networks within range.
dave

dave

Premium Member

FWIW, my Roku wireless remote is on the same channel (Ch.11, 802.11g) as the WiFi router as well. Seems too much of a coincidence.

Does 'interference' only happen when using the remote? Or are they chatting to each other all along?

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

I think in my case, that since the Roku was ~5' from Laptop, and Home WiFi one wall plus 18-20' from Laptop........
It seemed to affect speed-test results. Lower when on same channel. Higher when on different channels...

It was the first time I ever saw something other than our Home WiFi on 5Ghz!