spc
Search similar:

uniqs

huh_wha
@start.ca

huh_wha

Anon

[DSL] VDSL Startup Costs Gone Nuts?

Reviewing the Teksavvy website, I just want to confirm what I'm seeing there.

This is for 25/10 VDSL with 400GB of transfer

44.99 //first month
5.00 //dry loop fee
70.00 // modem down payment
14.00 // modem first month
10.00 // modem shipping
50.00 // install fee

193.99 Total up front cost, plus tax, payable before initiation of install

219.21 start up, with the tax.

Does that sound about right?

Also just want to confirm there is no option to simply rent the SmartRG.
So, after the first year I have a modem I paid $150+tax for that no longer has a warranty.

Because I was pretty much ready to call with my order until I did the math.
Did I miss something?

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

I don't have the exacts in front of me however it seems right. There is a bit of an upfront cost for our services, especially if you are buying a modem from us but the monthly afterwards is fairly competitive.

Keep in mind you can also provide your own modem or buy an open box modem from us for a little less.

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper to huh_wha

to huh_wha
Do you have regular home phone with bell or another company that provides you with service over regular copper lines? If so remove the dry loop fee.

If you want to rent to own then the price is correct. If you can afford to pay for the modem straight out then its cheaper in the long run as you probably know.

$50 install, I know before Teksavvy would give you $20 off or something like that if you ordered online not sure if thats still in effect or not?

But yes it seems about right, its a higher start-up fee but in the long run its better then going with bell/rogers due to more bandwidth and the other companies always increasing prices. Also Teksavvy will give you $1/ off each month for every person you refer which can add up over time (i have about $12 off/month so far)

huh_wha
@start.ca

huh_wha to TSI Andre

Anon

to TSI Andre
The lack of a $5 modem rental is adding $90 to those startup costs. That's the part I was questioning, if I'd missed something or not.

44.99 //first month
5.00 //dry loop fee
5.00 // modem rental first month
10.00 // modem shipping
50.00 // install fee

$114.99 plus tax = $129.94 startup

This I could live with.

The 219.21 - not so much. As in, no can do.
I wanted to be clear I wasn't missing something before I passed TSI over because of this.

davidl
join:2008-07-11
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl to huh_wha

to huh_wha
At least you can get VDSL where you are...I'm still stuck on 6 Mbps (more like 3.5 Mbps)...I'd be happy to pony up the startup fee for 25/10.

Bell installed Fibe in my neighborhood last fall...doesn't that mean I should be able to get VDSL?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

A city block two streets from where I live will have FTTH soon: Bell spliced the fiber distribution box a few days ago and hoisted it up the pole yesterday.

CallbackDev to huh_wha

Anon

to huh_wha
said by huh_wha :

The lack of a $5 modem rental is adding $90 to those startup costs.

High startup costs serve the purpose of keeping you in for as long as possible with an ISP regardless of any notable dynamics in speeds or service quality. Rogers and Bell invest in modems inventory that quickly becomes obsolete but still rented by long term clients indefinitely paying off many times over. Rent-to-own is a tweak that freezes a new inflated modem cost forever, despite the modem value drops in half during 1st year of operation.

What you really miss is the fact that YOU're in charge of own choices. Before ordering a modem, think a bit - what speeds you're signing for? If its 25/10, why do you need SmartRG? My Sag easily goes 50/10 and stable as a rock so far. It may depend on your usage habits: playing heavy online games and uploading dozens of torrents at ones may affect your Sag's stability mileage. But for majority of users it does very well with latest FW, so buy it for $40 on kijiji and be a happy camper. End then sell it for $40 when switching to a higher plan in 2 years - you'll do it easily as half of folks simply can't subscribe to higher speeds now due to lack of coverage or funds.

Another quest to ask: how long some of us stay with our current provider? Do you want to try a new promo or service time to time? Then minimizing your startup costs is the rule of the game.

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper to davidl

to davidl
Usually yes. Go on the bell website and see what speeds you can get. If you can get VDSL from bell then you can get it from Teksavvy. Just might take some time for them to push bell.
said by davidl:

At least you can get VDSL where you are...I'm still stuck on 6 Mbps (more like 3.5 Mbps)...I'd be happy to pony up the startup fee for 25/10.

Bell installed Fibe in my neighborhood last fall...doesn't that mean I should be able to get VDSL?

davidl
join:2008-07-11
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

davidl

Thanks, I'll check that
davidl

davidl to huh_wha

to huh_wha
Bell says no VDSL here either

...oh well...dunno what the Bell dude was doing lurking in the neighborhood for weeks, creeping around the back of people's houses...maybe it was a robber who stole a Bell truck with a cherry picker on it =:O