spc
Search similar:

uniqs
aussiemcgr
join:2014-02-15
Winter Springs, FL

aussiemcgr

Chromecast and AppleTV network issues

We have a Chromecast and AppleTV, and we have been having issues LAN streaming from computers to the devices (different computers, different tvs, different places in the house, all the same problem). The problem is extremely noticeable. Sound and video stutter constantly when playing, and even the mouse is noticeably lagged when moving it around the screen during screen casts. There are no obstructions between either the router and the sources and receivers, and all devices are showing a full network connection.
We have had 2 techs out, who have each swapped out our router/modem, but the issues still exist.
The techs have naturally suggested that the issues lie with the Chromecast and AppleTV, but considering that the devices are completely different and I have troubleshooted with multiple computers as the source, I believe the issue is limited network bandwidth. As far as I know, the only way to monitor the network bandwidth is through the router, which I don't have access to because it is a brighthouse managed router.
I have the suspicion that brighthouse is not providing us with adequate network bandwidth, and neither of the techs seemed interested in even entertaining the idea. The usage of Chromecasts and AppleTVs is certainly not outside of what should be considered normal service use. Does anyone have any suggestions?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

To clarify....

1) You are referring to ON-NET streaming from one device to another correct (not Netflix etc)? What method are you using to stream, what container are you using (.mp4, .mkv, .iso etc)

2) You interchange modem and router. Do you mean the same thing OR do you have your own router behind our modem?

3) You have told us nothing about the modem/router, what make/model?

4) For your own understanding we (BHN) do not allocate bandwidth within your home network. You are limited ONLY to the capabilities within your modem/router, wired/wireless network quality and connecting client devices.

5) For troubleshooting purposes I am only concerned with the AppleTV and any other device excluding the Chromecast (not going to troubleshoot a $25.00 device for now, we can revisit later).

Mosalar
join:2014-02-08
Tampa, FL
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66
Asus RT-AC56

Mosalar to aussiemcgr

to aussiemcgr
Boo Gary... Chromecasts no matter what the cost are incredible and should be recognized.

aussie: I have 3 cc's and I had an issue with the one in the living room(not 15' from the BH router/modem). It took some moving around of the cc using a hdmi extender, but I finally found a location the streams flawlessly. If you have an android phone/tablet, there is an awesome little app that will help you troubleshoot your signal strength. Speed4cast. Here's the link to it's thread on the xda forums.
»forum.xda-developers.com ··· t2945452
aussiemcgr
join:2014-02-15
Winter Springs, FL

aussiemcgr to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
1. The AppleTV is set up to screen cast from a Mac. If you need the exact details of how the Mac is screen casting to the AppleTV, I will have to get back to you on that (I'm not the one who uses the AppleTV). The Chromecast is screen casting from a Windows computer using the Chrome web browser.
2. The modem and router is Brighthouse supplied (all 3 of them were/are).
3. I am unsure what the first modem/router's model was, but the 2nd and 3rd (current) one is: Motorola Surfboard SBG6580
4. I know that you guys don't allocate the bandwidth, but you guys are supplying the modem/router, which is one of the primary factors for our network's bandwidth.

Thanks in advance for any help.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by aussiemcgr:

I know that you guys don't allocate the bandwidth, but you guys are supplying the modem/router, which is one of the primary factors for our network's bandwidth.

This is a gigabit router/modem combination so bandwidth is not an issue here.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to Mosalar

Premium Member

to Mosalar
said by Mosalar:

Boo Gary... Chromecasts no matter what the cost are incredible and should be recognized.

Sorry I am not a drinker of the Chromecast koolaid. I product tested it, don't like it, and don't like even more the headaches it causes and chasing things that are just the device itself......

Sooo we start with the known decent product in the bunch and work outward if time permits It won't be excluded... it just isn't a priority from a troubleshooting perspective.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to aussiemcgr

Premium Member

to aussiemcgr
said by aussiemcgr:

1. The AppleTV is set up to screen cast from a Mac. If you need the exact details of how the Mac is screen casting to the AppleTV, I will have to get back to you on that (I'm not the one who uses the AppleTV). The Chromecast is screen casting from a Windows computer using the Chrome web browser.
2. The modem and router is Brighthouse supplied (all 3 of them were/are).
3. I am unsure what the first modem/router's model was, but the 2nd and 3rd (current) one is: Motorola Surfboard SBG6580
4. I know that you guys don't allocate the bandwidth, but you guys are supplying the modem/router, which is one of the primary factors for our network's bandwidth.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also at some point get with me in direct with your modem MAC so I can poke around a bit from the service perspective. In that post include the specifics for each PC, the video container type etc...
BHNtechXpert

1 edit

BHNtechXpert to aussiemcgr

Premium Member

to aussiemcgr
Also need you to do the following if at all possible... I need to rule something out first so need you to hard wire (ethernet) the AppleTV, test and report back the results.

JeffMD
join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Sorry I am not a drinker of the Chromecast koolaid.

Chromecast with plex is pretty amazing and simple. Lets just say my parents who had nothing but a dvd player they were willing to put up with (dad uses tablet for web and books, nothing more), with chrome/plex I can just dump videos onto a laptop in the house with no need to reconfigure it and they get a very fancy tablet app they can use to start playing any tv showes or movies I send them. This was a real pain because every other option required computer connections and interactions, and a blueray player would have required me to burn more disc or sneaker net USB drives, not gonna happen.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by JeffMD:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Sorry I am not a drinker of the Chromecast koolaid.

Chromecast with plex is pretty amazing and simple. Lets just say my parents who had nothing but a dvd player they were willing to put up with (dad uses tablet for web and books, nothing more), with chrome/plex I can just dump videos onto a laptop in the house with no need to reconfigure it and they get a very fancy tablet app they can use to start playing any tv showes or movies I send them. This was a real pain because every other option required computer connections and interactions, and a blueray player would have required me to burn more disc or sneaker net USB drives, not gonna happen.

I do the same thing with pretty much every media streaming appliance you can think of....I have them all ..yes even my old first gen WDLive with custom firmware is still in operation and pretty much everything in between. There was very little I liked in my original encounter with CC and while it has improved over time it isn't there yet in my opinion. You get essentially what you pay so my expectations aren't great but I also don't expect it to give me headaches and headaches are a plenty with this device at times.

Anyway back to the OP... still waiting for the additional data I requested (Jeff you will note I asked some very specific questions and if you use Plex you know why).
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to JeffMD

Premium Member

to JeffMD
And Jeff just in case you are wondering what the heck I do with all those devices....I test each of our devices including new products with as many of the things I know you guys connect to our products individually and in some wicked simultaneously operating combinations including the ultimate "push until something breaks tests". They also come in handy when we have situations like this....by the time you get the product in your hands I already have pretty good idea how it will perform and what to look out for when you guys post stuff.

JeffMD
join:2002-08-16
Edgewater, FL

JeffMD to aussiemcgr

to aussiemcgr
Your right.. alot of media extenders support plex.. but that doesn't really make chromecast bad, it is inexpensive and works very simply which is perfect in my situation. Of course this is my experience with it from last november, I'm sure you had the pleasure (pain?) of experiencing it the day it came out years ago.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by JeffMD:

Your right.. alot of media extenders support plex.. but that doesn't really make chromecast bad, it is inexpensive and works very simply which is perfect in my situation. Of course this is my experience with it from last november, I'm sure you had the pleasure (pain?) of experiencing it the day it came out years ago.

And on a regular basis I see support issues with it all the time. Its ironic that this thread popped up because I have been running streaming tests on a new product (don't ask I'm not tellin ) and that includes testing CC.

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah to aussiemcgr

Premium Member

to aussiemcgr
I was an early adopter of CC and do still like it, but Plex is amazing. Its a bonus that Plex can cast to the CC though. And now my parents are happy. Sony products can now install Plex as a few weeks ago, and I setup my parents Sony TV with the Plex app last night.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

said by JeffMD:

And on a regular basis I see support issues with it all the time. Its ironic that this thread popped up because I have been running streaming tests on a new product (don't ask I'm not tellin ) and that includes testing CC.

A ROKU/CC COMPATIBLE BHTV APP?!?!?!?!?

Let me know if you need additional testers
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by gigahurtz:

said by BHNtechXpert:

said by JeffMD:

A ROKU/CC COMPATIBLE BHTV APP?!?!?!?!?

Let me know if you need additional testers

Ha!!!! Good guess but not this time... I will however keep you in mind.

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

Hey put me on that list of Roku testers too if/when BH has it.. I have the Roku 3 and the original Roku

Mosalar
join:2014-02-08
Tampa, FL
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66
Asus RT-AC56

Mosalar to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Its ironic that this thread popped up because I have been running streaming tests on a new product (don't ask I'm not tellin ) and that includes testing CC.

Matchstick?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Mosalar:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Its ironic that this thread popped up because I have been running streaming tests on a new product (don't ask I'm not tellin ) and that includes testing CC.

Matchstick?

Nope....