Search similar:

uniqs
uploadblues
join:2015-02-08
USA

2 edits

uploadblues

Uverse in Connecticut

Hello to all. Was a customer of ATT Uverse for Business here in Connecticut. They have been bought out by Frontier.

My main issue with my service is the very poor upload speed. Testing any which way I can on several computers, OS's, direct to modem or via network... using Test.my or Speedtest I cannot get above 740 Kbps. A friend who has Uverse in his home gets 1.9 Mpbs again and again with his testing.

I have a Motorola NVG510 Att branded modem. I test through a Netgear Gigabit Switch feeding off the router and have tested direct to the router with all other connections removed. Same slow results. Tested with windows vista machine and XP Pro Sp3's at 3.2ghz. Always the same results.

I'm on the second tier up from the bottom or what ATT calls Elite. Plan to contact Frontier tech support but looking for advice and what others typically get for their upload speed at this same level.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Can you post the results of the speedtest here:
»www.att.com/speedtest/

Can you go to 192.168.1.254 in your browser and post your line stats? All information around things such as noise margin, max sync, etc.
uploadblues
USA

uploadblues

down: 7.57
up: .74
uploadblues

uploadblues to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
see below
uploadblues

uploadblues to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Downstream and Upstream Statistics
Downstream Upstream
SN Margin (dB) 15.7 19.6
Line Attenuation (dB) 22.5 13.7
Output Power(dBm) -1.7 3.3
Errored Seconds 2 0
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
FEC Errors 0 0
CRC Errors 2 0

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to uploadblues

Premium Member

to uploadblues
said by uploadblues:

down: 7.57
up: .74

Well, you seem to be getting about 7.5 Mbps upload and about .75 Mbps upload. Your line stats don't seem to be a problem.

As far as I know, the upload for Elite on ADSL2+ is around 1 Mbps minus some for overhead. You seem to be getting what you subscribed to.

Your friend is likely on VDSL2. On VDSL2, your plan nets around 1.5 Mbps upload. Max and Max Plus net around 2 Mbps upload.

Do you know if VDSL2 is available in your area? I doubt it if you're on ADSL2+ now, but I don't know if Frontier changed things.
uploadblues
USA

uploadblues

What do you mean by VDSL2?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by uploadblues:

What do you mean by VDSL2?

It's a different variant of DSL. You're currently on ADSL2+. VDSL2 is better. Availability of VDSL2 at your location is signaled by speeds of over 18 Mbps available and/or TV is available at the address. What do you see if you go to Frontier.com and put in the address? If it says there's a current account, just click on the add additional account just to see what's available.
uploadblues
USA

4 edits

uploadblues

Don't see a place to input address on that site. I will call them.

Bill is supposed to be $110 and there is an $80 discount applied from the time ATT had it.

When ATT switched my business from DSL to Uverse the claim then was faster upload and download speeds for the same $$ I was paying... or with the discount it stayed the same.

So what's with this DSL if they put me on Uverse/fiber? Or did they not do that?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Unless you are on FTTP, U-Verse is a variant of DSL, be it ADSL2+ or VDSL2

With the Motorola/Arris NVG510, you have ADSL2+ U-Verse, which may be copper straight from the CO, or Fiber to the Node, and Copper the rest of the way. Either way, copper and DSL are being using

If you can, post your Max Line Sync stats

Elite on ADSL2+ U-Verse is rated at 6 Mbps down, .75 Mbps up, so the speeds you are describing are exactly as advertised. Downstream is overprovisioned, slightly

With your noise margins, I am expecting you could upgrade to 12 Mbps Max or maybe even 18 Mbps Max Plus. Both have an ADSL2+ upload of 1 Mbps

Otherwise, to get more upload, you would either need ADSL2+ Pair Bonding, or VDSL2/FTTB availability
uploadblues
USA

uploadblues

said by ILpt4U:

With your noise margins, I am expecting you could upgrade to 12 Mbps Max or maybe even 18 Mbps Max Plus. Both have an ADSL2+ upload of 1 Mbps

If upload is limited to 1 Mbps no matter how much more I pay how is my friend in town getting 1.7 Mpbs now?

So are you saying Uverse will never be any better (for me) than 1 Mbps upload barring the special modifications/alterations you describe?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by uploadblues:

said by ILpt4U:

If upload is limited to 1 Mbps no matter how much more I pay how is my friend in town getting 1.7 Mpbs now?

So are you saying Uverse will never be any better than 1 Mbps upload barring the special modifications/alterations you describe?

As I mentioned above, your friend is getting 1.7 Mbps upload because he/she is on VDSL2 which has more upload on their tiers.

When on the Frontier website, scroll over the "Products" heading and click on "Internet" and go see what's available in the Internet+Phone and Internet+Phone+TV tab. Don't look at the internet only tab.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U to uploadblues

Premium Member

to uploadblues
Your friend probably has VDSL2 U-Verse (or, possibly Fiber), which has higher upload capacity, by the specs of VDSL2 vs ADSL2+, and AT&T (and now Frontier) make more upload bandwidth available on the VDSL2 and Fiber platforms
uploadblues
USA

uploadblues

He says his bill says "Internet Max". He is supposed to be getting 12 Mpbs download and only gets 7. Has had the tech out twice and still at 7 computer direct to their modem.

For what it's worth, he has regular phone wire to his house off the pole. Nearest Uverse box is about 1/4 to 1/2 a mile a way.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

That would be another issue to troubleshoot. Would have to arrive at how we are only getting 7, what modem, etc

If, complete isolation testing, a single device, direct ethernet connected to the U-Verse modem, is only getting 7 mbps on a 12 mbps circuit (Max = 12 Mbps down), something, somewhere is not right

How is that 7 Mbps max being determined? Are varying speedtest sites being used?

There are lots of little things that could make a 12 Mbps test a 7 Mbps, some on the Carrier's side, some on the User's/equipment's side. Very hard to tell from afar

In your case, to get more than 1 Mbps upload, you would need a VDSL2 circuit, a FTTB circuit, or a Pair Bonded ADSL2+ circuit

A Single Pair ADSL2+ simply does not provide for much upstream bandwidth over 1 Mbps in its specs
uploadblues
USA

uploadblues

So, in theory, it IS possible to get faster uploads than just 1 Mpbs but it is a crap shoot?

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Premium Member

to uploadblues
Is your friend on the old or new plans? Max on AT&T was 12/1.5 for VDSL2, but on Frontier Max is 6/1 for VDSL2. Max Ultra is the new Max for Frontier.
uploadblues
USA

uploadblues

We are both still on old ATT plans ASAIK. Frontier trying to sell him on going up one tier to get 15Mpbs download but they cannot tell him why he only gets 7 now... so what's the point.

Forget about him. I'm the one who needs the help : ).

On the one hand you are saying Uverse has a 1 Mbps upload limitation and on the other it can be higher... so I'm confused.

Frontier is throttling back on the speed... is that it?

What is possible on a normal system running Max or Max plus? I've read that typical upload speeds on Uverse can be 4 to 5 Mpbs.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

It depends on the "flavor" of U-Verse, if you will. The Technology used to provide service

If you have Single Pair ADSL2+ U-Verse, your max upload will be 1 Mbps, on Max/12 or Max Plus/18 levels

On VDSL2 or xPON U-Verse, your max upload on Max/12 or Max Plus/18 is rated at 1.5 Mbps, but will often tick close to 2 Mbps, due to overprovisioning. On the higher Tiers (24/3, 45/6) the upload will climb closer to 5-6 Mbps

In theory, Pair Bonded ADSL2+ should allow for 2 Mbps Upload on ADSL2+, using 2 pairs, as each pair maxes out at 1 Mbps. I say in theory, because I have yet to run into Pair Bonded ADSL2+

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Premium Member

to uploadblues
said by uploadblues:

We are both still on old ATT plans ASAIK. Frontier trying to sell him on going up one tier to get 15Mpbs download but they cannot tell him why how he only gets 7 so what's the point.

Forget about him. I'm the one who needs the help : ).

On the one hand you are saying Uverse has a 1 Mbps upload limitation and on the other it can be higher... so I'm confused.

What is possible on a normal system running Max or Max plus?

As mentioned by me and ILpt4U, U-verse can be either ADSL2+, VDSL2 or fiber to the home.

On ADSL2+ :
- Max(A.K.A. Max Ultra on Frontier) is 12/1 . I can't remember if there's over provisioning on this tier on ADSL2+.
- Max Plus is 18/1 with actual speeds around 16-17 Mbps and 1 Mbps upload
On VDSL2/FTTH :
- Max(A.K.A Max Ultra on Frontier) is 12/1.5 with actual speeds around 15.5/2
- Max Plus is 18/1.5 with actual speeds around 23/2
uploadblues
USA

1 recommendation

uploadblues

OK.

Well, guess the best thing I can do is call Frontier and see if I can "try" a higher level of service and see what I can get for upload. If the greater speeds do not materialize I will go back to what I have now.

You both have been extremely helpful and I appreciate all the effort.... and on a Sunday

Thanks!
uploadblues

uploadblues

So I called Frontier and spoke to sales who said I was paying for 6 down/1 up. She offered me 12 down/1.5 up if I was to combine internet and telephone, which were separate bills from ATT.

I then pressed her on only getting .7 up and she swithed me to tech support. The gal there said I was 'provisioned for .7 up" and that's what I was getting and no more. When I told here Frontier did not offer a .7 up plan she just kept repeating "I was provisioned for .7" over and over.

Called sales back yesterday and asked to get on the 12/1.5 plan. The sales gal (different from the first time I called) said based on my location the best they can offer me is 12/1 and no more. Take it or leave it. The tech is coming out Friday to hook me up for 12/1.

My understanding is, if you can get a certain download speed then technically speaking the system can offer the same in reverse but it is not necessarily set up to do so. That this is the internet suppliers choice not a technical limitation of the technology.

If this correct?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by uploadblues:

My understanding is, if you can get a certain download speed then technically speaking the system can offer the same in reverse but it is not necessarily set up to do so. That this is the internet suppliers choice not a technical limitation of the technology.

If this correct?

If I'm not mistaken, 99% of DSL is actually ADSL -- asymmetrical DSL. What you're asking about is SDSL symmetrical DSL which is not widely available. This might help: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sy ··· ber_line

It runs over one pair of copper wires, with a maximum range of 10,000 feet (3,000 m). It cannot co-exist with a conventional voice service on the same pair as it takes over the entire bandwidth.[1]

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Premium Member

to uploadblues
The upload confusion between you and the reps is that Frontier's plans list the speeds for their VDSL2/FTTH offerings. Sort of misleading, but the upload for ADSL2+ is lower on most plans. Don't look at the tier descriptions for the upload on ADSL2+ since they're reflecting the VDSL2/FTTH values.
uploadblues
USA

uploadblues

Is this likely to improve at all?

That is, does Frontier plan on upgrading the slower/older parts of the network in the commercial areas where I'm located or am I stuck at 1Mbs upload (or even less) unless I move my company?

I'm on a major highway through town. Seems crazy residents at the outskirts are getting better service than the business community in the heart of the city.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I don't know. The highest upload you can get is if you upgrade to 12 or 18 Mbps currently on ADSL2+ which is 1 Mbps up from what you're getting now.

There has to be a demand for it. If you want VDSL2, more people in that area need to have service for them to actually have a need to upgrade people.

I believe that Frontier offers 2 Mbps upload on ADSL2+ over pair bonding on their 24 Mbps tier in their other markets. Maybe it's only for VDSL2 and 1 Mbps for ADSL2+, I can't remember. Not sure if that will be coming here.

Let us know what happens Friday.
uploadblues
USA

uploadblues

said by Darknessfall:

There has to be a demand for it. If you want VDSL2, more people in that area need to have service for them to actually have a need to upgrade people.

I'd guess Frontier is losing $$ left and right to the cable internet providers if they continue to allow the commercial customers to languish at these anemic speeds.

Yes, I will report back after the tech hooks me up.
uploadblues

uploadblues

So reporting back...

The Frontier technician never showed on Friday. Never called either. Calling tech support around 5:30pm they stated that "I was scheduled for the upgrade on next Monday". That was a lie. Two prior sales agents confirmed Friday between 1-5pm.

I demanded they send out a tech either Friday night or Saturday. Switched me to another sales agent. After being on the phone 50 minutes... mostly on hold... the guy came back on and said "You're all set. The upgrade is done. We did it at the home office for you".

Apparently, like all the other times they upgraded my internet speed since DSL came to town they did it from their end and not at my location. The old ATT would have known that was the case and not given me this line of BS.

My speeds...

Was 7.55 down, now 9.9 down

Was .716 up, now .945 up

Still do not understand it all. Told me I was to get 6 down and I'm getting close to 10 down. Told me 1 up and, more or less, getting that with the overhead you mentioned.

So if the system (ADSL2+ as you folks call it) that is only supposed to be good for 6 is giving me 10 why can it not give me anything more than something less than 1 up?

Seems to me it's all smoke and mirrors. They can set it any which way they want in Meriden, CT, where the DSL system is located if they so chose.

cowbert
join:2006-12-28
Ellington, CT

cowbert

This seems consistent. You were originally provisioned at 6/768k, which is what AT&T Elite was (even under U-verse, which is just ADSL2+ instead of legacy ATM-ADSL1). It sounds like if you are getting 10 down, then you were probably reprovisioned at 12/1 (and you aren't close enough to DSLAM to get all 12 down). They don't offer anything more than 1 mbps up on non-fiber (VDSL) U-verse infrastructure. Repeat: you cannot get fiber to the node U-verse at your location. Your only option is to go cable company or Fibertech (if you are in their service area) for more upload.