uniqs
i_pk_pjers_i
join:2007-04-20
none

2 edits

i_pk_pjers_i

[DSL] Spinky SmartRG Modem?

Hello,

I have been a TekSavvy DSL customer for like... 6-8 months now, and I believe my SmartRG SR505N is spinky (shitty). Whenever I try to factory reset it, it doesn't work. It gets stuck factory resetting and doesn't do anything - it's stuck in bridge mode and I cannot reset it no matter how hard I try. The LAN1 port stays on the whole time. I have turned it off, and back on, and it doesn't help. I have even tried with LAN1 plugged in, unplugged, etc.

I had my friend come over and he wasn't able to figure it out either and he said it's likely a hardware issue and I should contact TekSavvy. He said that my LAN1 port says CE under it and he said his doesn't say that. I figured before I make a direct thread, I'd make a public thread and ask if anyone else has this issue.

Does anyone else have this problem, or is mine really just a factory defect? Do I really have the ONE shitty SmartRG modem in all of North America?

How would I go about getting this replaced? I'm a college student so I HAVE to have my home connection on and I can't wait a week without a modem if I have to ship it out to TekSavvy. If I could just have a new one shipped to me instead of having to send back my old one, that would be great.

I haven't really had any other problems with TekSavvy, but honestly, this is just really disappointing and frustrating. I even left a good review with TekSavvy and I was really happy, but now I just feel... bad about this situation.

Finally, is there any way I can actually access the modem page while it's in bridge mode, perhaps with the use of a static IP, or is that not possible?

Edit: Teddy Boom fixed it, he's literally the best.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano

MVM

Download the routed config from Teksavvy web (make sure you get the ADSL or VDSL to match your line) load it, reboot and you'll be in routed mode.

»help.teksavvy.com/hc/en- ··· on-Files
i_pk_pjers_i
none

1 edit

i_pk_pjers_i

said by Brano:

Download the routed config from Teksavvy web (make sure you get the ADSL or VDSL to match your line) load it, reboot and you'll be in routed mode.

»help.teksavvy.com/hc/en- ··· on-Files

I can't get out of bridged mode in order to actually upload the routed config to it. My reset button does not seem to work at all.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to i_pk_pjers_i

Premium Member

to i_pk_pjers_i
said by i_pk_pjers_i:

Whenever I try to factory reset it, it doesn't work.

Factory reset is very finicky. I never remember this detail.. From the manual:
To reset the gateway to its factory default settings press the reset switch for 6 to 8 seconds. After releasing the reset switch the gateway will continue booting with a factory default configuration.
If you hold reset longer than 8 seconds, the modem goes into another mode, with stripped down interface, where you can feed it a new firmware file.
said by i_pk_pjers_i:

He said that my LAN1 port says CE under it and he said his doesn't say that.

Older units were 10/100 only for all ports. More recent production has had GE on the plastic under LAN1, to indicate that it is now a gigabit port.
said by i_pk_pjers_i:

access the modem page while it's in bridge mode, perhaps with the use of a static IP,

Yep, static IP will do it. Set your computer to 192.168.1.10.
said by i_pk_pjers_i:

The LAN1 port stays on the whole time.

This is a bit concerning... We'll see
i_pk_pjers_i
none

i_pk_pjers_i

said by Teddy Boom:

said by i_pk_pjers_i:

Whenever I try to factory reset it, it doesn't work.

Factory reset is very finicky. I never remember this detail.. From the manual:
To reset the gateway to its factory default settings press the reset switch for 6 to 8 seconds. After releasing the reset switch the gateway will continue booting with a factory default configuration.
If you hold reset longer than 8 seconds, the modem goes into another mode, with stripped down interface, where you can feed it a new firmware file.
said by i_pk_pjers_i:

He said that my LAN1 port says CE under it and he said his doesn't say that.

Older units were 10/100 only for all ports. More recent production has had GE on the plastic under LAN1, to indicate that it is now a gigabit port.
said by i_pk_pjers_i:

access the modem page while it's in bridge mode, perhaps with the use of a static IP,

Yep, static IP will do it. Set your computer to 192.168.1.10.
said by i_pk_pjers_i:

The LAN1 port stays on the whole time.

This is a bit concerning... We'll see

Okay, so basically, what I want to do is upgrade the firmware to the latest version. How would I do that if I did hold the reset button down longer than 8 seconds in order to get into the stripped down interface? After I held it down for I believe what was longer than 8 seconds, it stayed red the entire time and I was not even able to get an IP from it, do I also have to set a static IP for that?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

3 edits

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

No no, I don't think so. I think just hold for 6-8 seconds and see. That should bring it back to routed mode, then you can do whatever you want in the normal ways.

If that fails... Well, static IP, see if you can get to the firmware that way.

If that fails... Sure, try holding for more than 8 seconds. You'll come to a very simplified firmware page where you can click Browse, and choose the new firmware file from your computer.

EDIT: and playing around with one.. But not testing completely thoroughly, because that would take forever.. This is what happens.. Assuming a LAN device is connected, and WLAN is on (and the modem is allowed to fully boot first):

Click reset for less than 3-4s:
As soon as reset is pressed, WLAN goes off, followed very quickly by the LAN light(s?) turning off. If you let go I believe this causes a simple reboot (aka soft reset).

Hold for more than 3-4s:
The LAN LED(s?) turn on again. I believe if you let go after they come back on, you get a full factory reset.

Hold for more than 10s:
The power LED turns red, indicating the modem is in special firmware upgrade mode.

Then there is all the behaviour around holding the reset button before applying power.. Looks to me like the same timings and results, but that's mostly guessing.
i_pk_pjers_i
none

1 recommendation

i_pk_pjers_i

said by Teddy Boom:

No no, I don't think so. I think just hold for 6-8 seconds and see. That should bring it back to routed mode, then you can do whatever you want in the normal ways.

If that fails... Sure, try holding for more than 8 seconds. You'll come to a very simplified firmware page where you can click Browse, and choose the new firmware file from your computer.

Okay, I used the static IP method that you said (default gateway 192.168.1.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, ip address 192.168.1.10, then I accessed the admin panel by putting 192.168.1.1 in my web browser) and flashed the firmware that way. That way, I didn't have to change any config files or anything and it still works with my router.

Thank you, you are AWESOME!

Mods, please close this thread now.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by Teddy Boom:

EDIT: and playing around with one.. But not testing completely thoroughly, because that would take forever.. This is what happens.. Assuming a LAN device is connected, and WLAN is on (and the modem is allowed to fully boot first):

As soon as reset is pressed, WLAN goes off, followed very quickly by the LAN light(s?) turning off. If you let go I believe this causes a simple reboot (aka soft reset).

Hold for more than 3-4s:
The LAN LED(s?) turn on again. I believe if you let go after they come back on, you get a full factory reset.

Hold for more than 10s:
The power LED turns red, indicating the modem is in special firmware upgrade mode.

Then there is all the behaviour around holding the reset button before applying power.. Looks to me like the same timings and results, but that's mostly guessing.

The reset button behaviour definitely changes with firmware version too! While the above is more or less accurate for recent firmware versions, the early versions went into the special firmware upgrade mode much more quickly (CFE mode, if you like).
i_pk_pjers_i
none

i_pk_pjers_i

said by Teddy Boom:

said by Teddy Boom:

Hold for more than 3-4s:

Hold for more than 10s:

The reset button behaviour definitely changes with firmware version too! While the above is more or less accurate for recent firmware versions, the early versions went into the special firmware upgrade mode much more quickly (CFE mode, if you like).

I was wondering why my thread was bumped out of nowhere. That's good to know! Thank you.