Search similar:

uniqs

jgkolt
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

[CenturyTel] Is the CenturyLink router really needed with fiber?

When I signed up for the 100/50 fiber service I was told the Centrylink modem was required. I received a ZyXEL FR1000Z Gateway router instead of a modem. The install tech said i could use my own router instead of theirs. I have heard many conflicting reports on this after I have asked customer support.

Do you need the gateway router if i have my own?

I am not getting speeds close to what is advertised with my router and their router so i have been holding on to it until they fix it. I would like to return it but I don't want to be in a situation where they say you aren't using our router, its your problem kind of thing.
mrhoogles
join:2012-03-02
Silverhill, AL

mrhoogles

the only thing i see interesting about it is remote management features
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to jgkolt

to jgkolt
By default, any router that supports VLAN ID 201 and PPPoE authentication should work.

I've seen references to e-mailing/chatting or calling in and asking that the vlan tag be removed, at which point just about any router (because they basically all do PPPoE) should work just fine.

One other suggestion I've seen is dropping the FR1000Z into bridge mode, in order to use it with routers that do not support VLAN tagging, but that was the same thread where asking CL to remove the VLAN tagging requirement to begin with was mentioned, and it does seem a little bit silly to leave the FR1000Z inline.

If you have your PPPoE user name and password and you already have a router, I'd just plug it in and see what happens. If your router has a place to set a WAN VLAN or a VLAN tag, try the number 201.

jgkolt
Premium Member
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

thanks for the information. My router works fine (asus rt-ac87u) with just the PPPoE username and password. I will search to see if there is a vlan tag somewhere. my speeds seem the same between routers just want to make sure they dont deny support.
jgkolt

jgkolt to coryw

Premium Member

to coryw
i can use my router without the VLAN tag 201. if it works without it, is there any reason to search for it?
coryw
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

I wouldn't bother searching for the setting if it works fine without it. Either the router found it on its own, or it's not enabled/required in your area. I am not 100% sure if it even is required, but it has been mentioned.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark to jgkolt

MVM

to jgkolt
said by jgkolt:

I am not getting speeds close to what is advertised with my router and their router

What speeds are you getting?

How are you connecting to the router? Direct Connect or Wireless?

What device are you using with the router - PC, Mac, Tablet, laptop? What are the Specs on the LAN Connection or Wireless Card?

jgkolt
Premium Member
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

my speeds fluctuate greatly. yesterday i was getting 7 mbps down, this morning 100mbps, right now about 30. my upload fluctuates but can go up to 25. i am doing a direct connection to the router. i have used my router (asus rt-ac87u) and the centurylink zyxtel fr1000z both and the speeds are about the same. Most all speedtests are to speedtest.centurylink.net and speedtest.net as a backup. I am using 3 different windows pc's. The techs also see the fluctuation outside too when they plug directly into the Calix ONT.

When i log into the Zxtel router it says wan connection 1 gbps. Is that from the router to the ONT, or router to some cabinet the ont connects to or something else?
coryw
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

That is probably from the router to the ONT, and the connection from the ONT to the OLT (the provider-side of a GPON line) is limited. to your plan speed.

To me, I'd say that it sounds like pretty classic congestion problems at the OLT or the BRAS (which is where your PPPoE session terminates), especially if 7 megs down was in the evening, while everybody else with CL in your town/neighborhood was watching video streams.

jgkolt
Premium Member
Avon, OH

jgkolt

Premium Member

So the problem was Centurylink told Calix to provision 75mbit for the development (2 streets). So about 14 houses subscribe to Centurylink Fiber so we all were sharing that connection. Centurylink told Calix to bump it up to 160 and I am getting good speeds. Although I have had issue I have truly been very pleased with the technicians and also their supervisor we have been working with. They have worked very hard in below freezing temperature and snow to get us up and running.

I am still a little confused how I could get a speedtest up to 100 when we were only provisioned at 75 for the group.