Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer

Re: Samsung's warning: Our Smart TVs record your living room chatter

I was told Extreme is the lowest for Samsung app to replace the TWC digital box. So, how it is it compared to digital box not Roku? I can''t imagine doing it on 15/1...even 20/2 would probably be a mediocre experience. On 15 you won't even get HD and certainly not Ultra HD both of which you get on 30/5. I've never had Roku so I can't make any comparisons there, but I am constantly amazed at those who think 15/1 is fast enough. It is NOT. 30/5 should be TWC's lowest offering unless you enjoy a lot of buffering and poor quality video. There is a huge difference between 15/1 and 30/5 and even between 20/2 and 30/5. I've had all three (and all the tiers below 15/1 in the years since I got Road Runner in 2001). I wasn't happy until 20/2 and then 30/5 is awesome and its going to 200/20 this year which I think will be overkill but maybe not depending on how many sign up for it.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

carpetshark3 to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
Any televised show where you vicariously watch others for any reason, relaxation, entertainment, escapism is a movie. Just a visible genre with sub genres. Regardless of what, by the time it is shown in a theater or on TV, it's the original definition of movie. Moving picture vs reading the book.

I won't give it the name entertainment since I'd call the lectures on Roving Mars by the PI of Opportunity and Spirit entertaining. Our family prefers stuff like this. We also like some sports. You don't have to get involved, you can listen and enjoy and there's instant replay. Easier to multitask. There's too damn many genres today.

Other people have different ideas of entertainment. Some game, some are addicted to ham radios, some geocache, it's the individual's taste which is the way it should be.

As long as we can see the picture, we don't care.

We sat there last night after the news reported on Samsung and thought up ways to make ourselves obnoxious.

I read a couple of articles on this eavesdropping, and unlike LG, I think one article said that the TV wouldn't work unless hooked up to internet service. Can someone check?

There's rural areas here that have no cable service. They have to use satellite if they can afford it or use any OTA they can get. That's why I'm wondering about the TV not working if you can't use the online services. Any store selling such a TV would have to inform rural customers about needing satellite or broadband prior to sale. These retailers and the mfg assume that everyone has fast broadband.

I asked about rural, as some cell phone fora I read have no concept of anything besides a major city. If you look at the Colorado Plateau, in areas there is no carrier at all. Understandable, since very few live there. But some urbanites keep asking why anyone would want to go there. They can't imagine a land full of nothing but scenery and/or history and no mod cons on the cell phone.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

1 recommendation

Cartel

Premium Member

Click for full size
I gets better...

Samsung TVs start inserting ads into your movies

»gigaom.com/2015/02/10/sa ··· -movies/

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

Sparrow

Premium Member

said by Cartel:

I gets better...

Samsung TVs start inserting ads into your movies

»gigaom.com/2015/02/10/sa ··· -movies/

OT: I'd prefer FIRESTORM!

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

sivran to carpetshark3

Premium Member

to carpetshark3
From the article...
quote:
Samsung's partnership with Yahoo to serve pop-up ads on its smart TVs
That's disgusting. And doing it during media playback of any kind is unforgivable.

It may not be a Samsung but I think I'm going to unplug my TV from the network. I almost never use the various "smart" features anyway and all it does is bug me to update the firmware, which for all I know could just be adding more bugs...and not just the glitchy kind. I can put that cable to better use elsewhere...
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to sivran

to sivran

quote:
Sivran's reply: "Your smart TVs will not be in my house to do so."

Unfortunately, the majority of people will never see that article and probably never realize their TV has become an insidious blend of Huxley and Orwell.
Even if they did,THEY ARE SHEEPLE AND WONT CARE!!!!! (I stay out of the rooms where my parents have these intrusive things (Living room and thier bedroom)) When I do go in there,I AM VERY CAREFUL WHAT I SAY!!!!!!!!! (I dont trust them @ all)

said by goalieskates :
I have no intention of owning any smart appliance if I can help it. I'd rather put more money into maintaining the dumb ones.
Yes ... STAYING LOW TECH Is the key!!

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to Mele20

to Mele20

said by Mele20:

You have to buy Samsung's $100 clicker that has a keyboard on one side. Or, Samsung did a small upgrade for 2011 Smart sets so that you can use the IE browser now but it is slow. When I got mine in Sept 2011, there was really no way to use the browser except by purchasing the clicker with the keyboard. But later Samsung did an upgrade so there is a mouse pointer, on screen keyboard, etc. But it still is very inadequate.

You can also use a regular keyboard ...needs to be wireless and wireless mouse and just connect via HDMI cable to your computer. I didn't want to spend the money on wireless keyboard and mouse. I do enjoy watching on demand TV shows via HDMI and seeing them on the big screen instead of on my smaller computer monitor.

My set has very recently developed the common and dreaded jailbars which makes me angry. It was not a cheap set and should have lasted longer.

You must have one of the higher number sets, i got the D6000 and i did not get an upgrade with a browser and no Keyboard will work and the Samsung clicker won't work either with my set. I have a PC connected to them and they have a wireless keyboard and JP1 remotes.

AS for your TV problems. Mine had the double image issue and i fixed it with a 1 ince piece of scotch tape.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· l7-vZEL8
mmainprize

mmainprize to carpetshark3

to carpetshark3
I have not seen this problem, but i stopped using the Samsung Plex app a while ago when i connected an HTPC to the TV's, so maybe it would do it if playing through smart hub.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize
I have the D6300. The 6000 didn't come with IE browser. The 6300 came with it but until Samsung did a couple of software upgrades about a year after I got the TV it was almost impossible to use the browser.

Thanks for the video. Very interesting. I don't have a double image like he showed in the video. I have very faint horizontal black bars on the right side about 4" width on the test picture. When watching something on the TV, the picture is fine for the first hour. Then I get the vertical "jail bars" on the right side in the same area where the test picture shows very faint horizontal lines. (They started out about 2 inch width a few months ago and now are 4 inches).

I also have gray around the edges instead of black on a black screen as though I have watched too much in letterbox but I watch nothing that way ....only 16:9.

That doesn't look hard to fix if you are a patient, careful person but the TV is too heavy for me to even move. What does the scotch tape do?

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

I can''t imagine doing it on 15/1...even 20/2 would probably be a mediocre experience. On 15 you won't even get HD

I have a decent consumer grade router with QoS and use the Roku over a wireless network. I've found 15/1 to deliver 1080p quite nicely on my 32" Samsung TV sat home, and it's quite sharp on the 50" Panasonic in the condo. (The 720p Sonys are pretty sharp, but close examination shows a bit less sharpness) However, if others in our home were streaming HD, that would probably not be enough. If all they're doing is casual browsing and email, my experience is that their response is not appreciably degraded.

The Roku channels I frequent are TWC TV, PBS, Youtube, Netflix and LiveStream.

TWC TV will hunt resolutions a bit when first opening a channel, before settling on its maximum resolution.

Netflix
1 Mbps for viewing on a laptop computer
2 Mbps for SD video on a TV
4 Mbps for 720p HD video
5 Mbps for "the best video and audio experience" (according to Netflix)

Hulu Plus
Note: If a TV show or movie repeatedly needs to buffer, Hulu Plus will stop streaming the video and recommend that you downgrade the video quality.
1 Mbps for SD video
2 Mbps for 720p video
Over 3.2 Mbps for best quality HD video and audio

Vudu
Note: All Vudu movies are streamed with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio.

1.0 - 2.3 Mbps for SD video
2.3 - 4.5 Mbps for 720p video
4.5 - 9.0 Mbps for HDX 1080p video
Over 9 Mbps for 3D HD movies

Also see »www.soundandvision.com/c ··· ng-video

A more conservative estimate of 13.65 Mbps for 1080p is recommended in this article;
»entertainment.howstuffwo ··· ies1.htm
(also credit to tl9 See Profile for this post; »Re: [Modem/Router] New router and affects on DSL speed )

Anyhow, that's my experience. In addition to ISP speeds to the home, there are lots of links in the chain between the TV/media device and the source streaming server(s), including the transport and compression protocols, and any one of them could degrade the experience.

My recommendation to prospective users would be to try using one's existing connection to see if it's satisfactory for them before spending upgrade money on speeds they might not need.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

2 recommendations

EUS to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
That's it, this is war.
From now on whenever I go somewhere where a samsung tv is present, I'm just going to blurt stuff out, no matter what the conversation is.
Anal sex, cocaine, dirty bombs, gov't overthrow, and whatever other "hot" words come to mind.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
Those acorn stairlift ads are so Annoying. I think that smart tv would hear say similar things....

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

Exidor

Premium Member

said by chip89:

Those acorn stairlift ads are so Annoying.

85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

85160670 (banned) to Cartel

to Cartel
Click for full size
They already call it "SMART" TV ...... the TRUTH lies, the DUMB user ¿ ¿ ¿

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to EGeezer

Premium Member

to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

I can''t imagine doing it on 15/1...even 20/2 would probably be a mediocre experience. On 15 you won't even get HD

I have a decent consumer grade router with QoS and use the Roku over a wireless network. I've found 15/1 to deliver 1080p quite nicely on my 32" Samsung TV sat home, and it's quite sharp on the 50" Panasonic in the condo. (The 720p Sonys are pretty sharp, but close examination shows a bit less sharpness) However, if others in our home were streaming HD, that would probably not be enough. If all they're doing is casual browsing and email, my experience is that their response is not appreciably degraded.

The Roku channels I frequent are TWC TV, PBS, Youtube, Netflix and LiveStream.

TWC TV will hunt resolutions a bit when first opening a channel, before settling on its maximum resolution.

Netflix
1 Mbps for viewing on a laptop computer
2 Mbps for SD video on a TV
4 Mbps for 720p HD video
5 Mbps for "the best video and audio experience" (according to Netflix)

Hulu Plus
Note: If a TV show or movie repeatedly needs to buffer, Hulu Plus will stop streaming the video and recommend that you downgrade the video quality.
1 Mbps for SD video
2 Mbps for 720p video
Over 3.2 Mbps for best quality HD video and audio

Vudu
Note: All Vudu movies are streamed with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio.

1.0 - 2.3 Mbps for SD video
2.3 - 4.5 Mbps for 720p video
4.5 - 9.0 Mbps for HDX 1080p video
Over 9 Mbps for 3D HD movies

Also see »www.soundandvision.com/c ··· ng-video

A more conservative estimate of 13.65 Mbps for 1080p is recommended in this article;
»entertainment.howstuffwo ··· ies1.htm
(also credit to tl9 See Profile for this post; »Re: [Modem/Router] New router and affects on DSL speed )

Anyhow, that's my experience. In addition to ISP speeds to the home, there are lots of links in the chain between the TV/media device and the source streaming server(s), including the transport and compression protocols, and any one of them could degrade the experience.

My recommendation to prospective users would be to try using one's existing connection to see if it's satisfactory for them before spending upgrade money on speeds they might not need.

Don't forget 4K.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

1 edit

mmainprize to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I have the D6300. The 6000 didn't come with IE browser. The 6300 came with it but until Samsung did a couple of software upgrades about a year after I got the TV it was almost impossible to use the browser.

Thanks for the video. Very interesting. I don't have a double image like he showed in the video. I have very faint horizontal black bars on the right side about 4" width on the test picture. When watching something on the TV, the picture is fine for the first hour. Then I get the vertical "jail bars" on the right side in the same area where the test picture shows very faint horizontal lines. (They started out about 2 inch width a few months ago and now are 4 inches).

I also have gray around the edges instead of black on a black screen as though I have watched too much in letterbox but I watch nothing that way ....only 16:9.

That doesn't look hard to fix if you are a patient, careful person but the TV is too heavy for me to even move. What does the scotch tape do?

I almost got the D6302 or something like that from walmart, but it only had a few HDMI inputs and USB ports compared to the d6000.

As far as the tape fix, it seems that connection on those ribbon cables is a weak link in these TV's. It can also cause the black bars. Over time when the TV gets hot and cold the connections on that ribbon cable start to fail and the image problem start. The circuit is very sensitive and the tape help adjust the impedance so the circuit work as normal. The pin on the connector go right through the tape and still make the connection.

The black bar problem is when the connection has failed and in many cases you can just remove the ribbon cables and then reseat them and get it to work. Not tape required, or just clean the contacts on the ribbon with a soft eraser. There are many videos on that also on You Tube.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
Smart TVs Are a Great Idea. Too Bad TV Makers Are Ruining Them

Smart TVs are such a good idea.

quote:
No, really! They can make it easier for us to find the gems within the Amazons and Netflixes and M-Gos of the world, consolidating not only what we watch but the devices we use to watch all of it. They can stream music and movies from our phones, tablets, and PCs onto the biggest screen in our house. The cleverest of them can even tell us our remote batteries are low, hear us when we yell “I want to watch Scandal,” or show our fantasy team right next to the football game. [...]
»www.wired.com/2015/02/sm ··· -ruined/
siljaline

siljaline to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
quote:
One way or another, the uproar over Samsung's "eavesdropping" SmartTV last week revealed a potentially invasive type of factory preset — one that consumer and privacy advocates worry gets too easily lost in the fine print. [...]
»www.cbc.ca/news/technolo ··· .2957114
siljaline

siljaline to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
On a lighter note:
===========
quote:
LG Electronics' home appliances top brass Jo Seong-jin has been indicted for allegedly sabotaging four of Samsung Electronics' high-end washing machines at a trade show last year. [...]
»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· achines/
85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

1 recommendation

85160670 (banned)

Just as reminder, your "Smart_phone" creepy too ..."DIY stalker boxes spy on Wi-Fi users cheaply and with maximum creep value"....[ »arstechnica.com/security ··· p-value/ ]

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Cartel

MVM

to Cartel
And people thought this was just a movie

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· zCJutcWA

Actually I'm counting on Samsung to process every packet

Blake

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· -2yHVEmA
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to dauthiatull

to dauthiatull
said by dauthiatull:

Im thinking of getting a new tv. When i do the first thing i will do is open it and cut out the mic and camera. Problem solved.

Simpler option is to buy a computer monitor in the size you want.

That's assuming that you're using a cable box / OTA and a receiver for audio.

NefCanuck
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

TheMG

Premium Member

said by NefCanuck:

Simpler option is to buy a computer monitor in the size you want.

Except... computer monitors are not widely available in the larger sizes (42"+).

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
Samsung's spying smart TVs don't encrypt voice recordings sent over the internet – new claim
quote:
Not only is your Samsung smart TV snooping on what you say, it sends recordings of your voice over the internet unencrypted – leaving it open to eavesdropping and mischief – security researchers say.
»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· _rewind/

»twitter.com/TheRegister/ ··· 14222336
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Cartel

to Cartel

I tried to tell my mum this........

SHE JUST LAUGHS @ ME SAYING "WHO WOULD WANNA SPY ON US??"

My parents are total sheep and I feel bad for them....... They wont listen to a blasted thing IF IT ISNT MSM!! (Which is designed to lie to them,keep them uninformed))

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by 19579823:

My parents are total sheep

Nice respect, there...

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel

Samsung smart TVs don't encrypt the voice data they collect [...]
»www.cso.com.au/article/5 ··· collect/
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k

Re: ‏

said by garys_2k:

said by 19579823:

My parents are total sheep

Nice respect, there...

Parents were better in the 80s!!!!!!!

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

I tried to tell my mum this........

SHE JUST LAUGHS @ ME SAYING "WHO WOULD WANNA SPY ON US??"

My parents are total sheep and I feel bad for them....... They wont listen to a blasted thing IF IT ISNT MSM!! (Which is designed to lie to them,keep them uninformed))

Yeah, mine tell me that I am too paranoid.