All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
calsonic
join:2005-03-25
Bonsall, CA

calsonic

[DSL] Thinking about switching to dslx. Different prequal speeds?

Hi,

I am thinking about switching to dsl extreme. I have att dsl 3.0 Mbps and it has been pretty reliable except for the price. I noticed that I keep getting different prequalifying speeds depending on when I check. One time I get the same speed I get now (3.0), then another time I'll get a 6.0 max.

I would really like to get that 6.0 speed, but am concerned why it doesn't always prequalify me at that speed every time. I can't even check if att will give me 6.0 because all their prequalifiers check for uverse and not standard dsl.

Also, if I have had decent reliability with att, am I safe to assume dslx should be just as reliable?

Thanks

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

When you run a prequalification check on our website, it compares against multiple AT&T address databases and tries to calculate which speed range you qualify for primarily based on recorded distance. The exact reason why you'll see a fluctuation varies, but in many cases it's because you're right at the edge of where we'd be able to offer a certain tier (in this case, 6Mbps), so some of the databases will report you're just within range, while others will report you're just barely too far outside. If you want to send me an IM with the address in question (and your current DSL number if you have one), I can try to investigate your case further.