spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Ark4
join:2002-06-08
Lansing, MI

Ark4

[WiFi] Arris TG862G phantom wifi signal

Using Wifi Analyzer on my Android phone, I can clearly see an enabled WiFi signal on the last-used channel of the WiFi from the Arris gateway, despite having it in Bridge Mode and disabling the WiFi on it. My xfinitywifi is disabled on my Comcast login, so I don't see that at all, but there is still basically radio noise because the Wifi on the Arris won't shut off. Software says 7.6.86L on the Arris info page.
Gateway > Hardware > Wi-Fi says "Wi-Fi link status: Active" but Gateway > Connection > Status says "Wireless Network(Wi-Fi 2.4 GHZ): Inactive" and clicking the Edit button there takes you to a page where Disabled is highlighted in red. On that page clicking Save Settings after clicking Disabled will get you the error "SSID can't be blank" but it appears to still accept your request to Save.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

[WiFi] Re: Arris TG862G phantom wifi signal

said by Ark4:

Using Wifi Analyzer on my Android phone, I can clearly see an enabled WiFi signal on the last-used channel of the WiFi from the Arris gateway, despite having it in Bridge Mode and disabling the WiFi on it. My xfinitywifi is disabled on my Comcast login, so I don't see that at all, but there is still basically radio noise because the Wifi on the Arris won't shut off.

Darknessfall See Profile had the same observation in this previous thread: »[WiFi] Gateway Disable Wireless Misleading - Wireless Remains Active

Ark4
Lansing, MI

Ark4

I notice there was no real solution in that thread. I enabled Wifi and locked it to channel 1, then disabled it so at least the phantom noise will only interfere with my neighbors, since my own Wifi is locked to channel 11.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

Click for full size
said by Ark4:

I notice there was no real solution in that thread.

Well, you can always try the "solution" that Jay864 See Profile came up with in this thread »[Signals] Why is my modem broadcasting wifi when wifi is disabled?

Ark4
Lansing, MI

Ark4

I like it. Does it work?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Yeah, if you don't want to ever use your wireless.

Ark4
Lansing, MI

Ark4

Well the thing only has 2.4GHz b/g/n and my own wireless does 2.4GHz and 5GHz a/b/g/n/ac. I can pick up literally 40 access points in the 2.4GHz range, and only one other in 5GHz. That's reason enough to not want to use it, but the one laptop I have that doesn't do 5GHz would be a lot better off if I could actually completely shut off the radio on the cable modem.