All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Lazz
join:2015-02-03
Wantagh, NY

Lazz

[STB] QIP 7100-1 box: can't change channel with remote!!

Hi,

Ok, this is the 2nd QIP 7100-1 box that I've had this problem with in the past week. I returned the first one, and exchanged for another one, but now exact same problem.

Problem is, I can't change the channels (or go to the menu, or go to DVR, or do anything!!!) with the remote control. I've ruled out the remote, I believe. It works on other boxes, and I've brought other remote controls from other rooms and tried, but no success.

I Can, however, change channels, etc. From the box itself, using buttons in the front. In addition, all signals (SNR) look 'good' in the appropriate Menu area.

Anyone ever have this happen to them before? Granted, I know these are older boxes (7100-1, with the clock on the front), but have no idea how this could happen with 2 boxes!!! Before I head out to the Fios store to exchange again, looking to see if anyone here can help.

Thanks.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Any other electronics in the room, or an alarm motion sensor, basically anything that can be scrambling the IR?
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to Lazz

Premium Member

to Lazz
What kind of TV do you have and where is the STB relative to the TV? It sounds stupid, but sometimes a TV will interfere with the signal from the remote (my plasma can have that issue). You may need to move the STB. One other thing to try - use the FiOS TV mobile app to change channels. That should work fine since it doesn't use an IR signal - it's done via wifi through your router. I think guppy is right, though - this sounds like an issue of something interfering with your remote's signal. My best guess is that it's the TV itself.

One other thing to try - move the STB to be out of the line of site of the TV (move it off to the side) and see if the remote works then.
Lazz
Wantagh, NY

Lazz

said by guppy_fish:

Any other electronics in the room, or an alarm motion sensor, basically anything that can be scrambling the IR?

Hi, nothing else in the room that would cause interference. Funny thing is, we had a QIP 7100-2 in this room prior to this QIP 7100-1....and it worked perfectly fine, without a problem.
said by JPL:

One other thing to try - use the FiOS TV mobile app to change channels. That should work fine since it doesn't use an IR signal - it's done via wifi through your router. I think guppy is right, though - this sounds like an issue of something interfering with your remote's signal. My best guess is that it's the TV itself.

One other thing to try - move the STB to be out of the line of site of the TV (move it off to the side) and see if the remote works then.

Using FIOS Mobile TV App isn't an option. Too inconvenient...
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by Lazz:

Hi, nothing else in the room that would cause interference. Funny thing is, we had a QIP 7100-2 in this room prior to this QIP 7100-1....and it worked perfectly fine, without a problem

The TV itself is in the room and can cause interference. That's why JPL offered his comments about a TV causing the interference.

So, again, what type of TV (brand/model/plasma, LCD, etc.) do you have? Both Plasma and LCD can cause IR interference as you describe. For an LCD, turning down the backlight can sometimes reduce the interference. Plasma TVs can be more problematic in this regard. My recollection is that the 7100-1 is more sensitive to this than other STBs.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to Lazz

Premium Member

to Lazz
And as a test, move the stb as far from the TV as possible to see if that has an effect on the remote working with the STB

MeatChicken
join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken to Lazz

to Lazz
Simply shut off the TV, then make sure the box only is on, & then try changing the channels up/dwn ...
If the box responds with the TV off ... it is the TV.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

said by MeatChicken:

Simply shut off the TV, then make sure the box only is on, & then try changing the channels up/dwn ...

Oh sure... do it the easy way...
chef255
join:2004-07-15
united state

chef255 to Lazz

to Lazz
You can take the box into another room and see if the problem still exists. I have seen TV's set to very bright pre-sets like "vivid" or "showroom" cause interference with the remote.
Lazz
Wantagh, NY

Lazz

said by MeatChicken:

OK, so I tried the suggestion above,and YES - it does seem to be a problem with the Television Set interfering.

It's a Sony LCD, 42 Inch.... and with both TV Set and Cable Box on, I can't do anything with the Cable Box remote control. (No channel changing, no Menus, nothing)..

But, when I turn the TV off, I can immediately start changing channels with the Cable Box remote!!

So now my question is (For anyone out there who might know the answer) --
Anything I can do with my Television Settings to make these Cable Box remote control work properly?????

Thanks.
Lazz

Lazz to PJL

to PJL
said by PJL:

For an LCD, turning down the backlight can sometimes reduce the interference. Plasma TVs can be more problematic in this regard. My recollection is that the 7100-1 is more sensitive to this than other STBs.

PJL, where in the Television Settings would I find this, to reduce the backlight. And....will it affect my Television Picture (i.e. - make it worse?).
Lazz

Lazz

OK, I found and tried adjusting the Backlight Settings on the TV - didn't work.

So I found this other Option in the Settings, it was an "Ambient Light Sensor" (Which adjusts brightness according to Ambien Light). It was "ON", and so I turned it "OFF". The result of this was it made my picture brighter, but now the Remote for my Cable Box works! (Just like that!).

Now, not sure if I'll even notice or care about the Picture Brightness change. (Picture did turn a bit brighter when I did this). If I don't wind up noticing or caring, then I guess this is the fix. If not, I don't know what I'll do. Someone in the Forums History mentioned getting Verizon Tech (via the Direct Forum) to send out an IR Extender, which would resolve this issue). OR, I could just switch to the QIP-7100-2 box, but not anxious to do that because that one does not have a Clock on the front...

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Is this a LED LCD or Back-light LCD, the latter are known to have very noisy inverters, the RF is probably blanketing the room and changes with the intensity of the back-light.

MeatChicken
join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken to Lazz

to Lazz
said by Lazz:

said by MeatChicken:

OK, so I tried the suggestion above,and YES - it does seem to be a problem with the Television Set interfering.

It's a Sony LCD, 42 Inch.... and with both TV Set and Cable Box on, I can't do anything with the Cable Box remote control. (No channel changing, no Menus, nothing)..

But, when I turn the TV off, I can immediately start changing channels with the Cable Box remote!!

So now my question is (For anyone out there who might know the answer) --
Anything I can do with my Television Settings to make these Cable Box remote control work properly?????

Thanks.

I had the same problem with a TV & 7100 a few yrs ago .... there are 2 solutions ...

1) This worked for me... get a small IR remote extender, it plugs into the back of the box, & ASSuming your box is below, & slightly forward of the TV, put the IR led UNDERNEATH the center front of the box, about an inch or so "in" under the front panel, in the "shadow" of the box above..
This seems to shield the remote LED from the interfering "light" , & you will be able to set your picture to your liking ...
2) Before I got the remote IR led, I had found a piece of dark red, thin clear "plastic", & taped it over the box's display area where the IR sensor is .. This seemed to work, however it reduced the remote's range somewhat

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to Lazz

to Lazz
I have a Sony LCD as well, interferes with my 7100 box all the time. Basically, even with the IR extender, you have to give it a few seconds after the TV comes on, and then get right up close to the IR Extender and keep hitting OK button until the STB responds. Then it's fine.