spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jupitermoon
join:2011-09-27

jupitermoon

Microsoft pushes new Photos app onto Windows 10...via Windows Store

said by InfoWorld, Feb 10, 2015 :
The new Photos app is a dud, and the Windows Store update mechanism leaves users without control over their PCs

Over the weekend, Microsoft updated the Windows 10 January Tech Preview in a unique way: It pushed a Microsoft-written Universal app from the Windows Store and onto all PCs running beta 9926. While the new Photos app isn't significantly better than the woefully inadequate one it replaced, the update mechanism imperils those who want to keep some modicum of control over their machines.
Woody's article is more about the decision to release an update of a Windows 10 Universal app through the Windows Store instead of through Windows Update than about the app itself (which he calls a dog) and what that may mean for those of us who want to be able to control what gets updated and when.

Link to the rest of the article:
»www.infoworld.com/articl ··· nes.html
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

He's wrong when he says everyone got it. I didn't because the Store can't open on my Win 10 Preview. I have UAC disabled in the registry. Enabling UAC doesn't get any of those Metro Apps to work either. That's because I am using Start8 which doesn't work with Metro side on Win 10 Preview. I can only use Desktop side which is fine with me because I have zero interest in any metro apps.

I brought Windows Updates back so I get updates that are through WU and I can control those also.
jupitermoon
join:2011-09-27

jupitermoon

I had a feeling when I posted this that you didn't get it because I know that you have UAC disabled. No great loss, from what Woody says.