Premium Member

[Connectivity] Slow speeds almost every night

"Six questions":
quote:
1) Your location: City and State.
Lombard, IL
2) A description of the problem.
Slow speeds every night
3) Is the issue intermittent, constant or does it occur at a specific time of day?
Nightly
4) Your modem make, model & firmware version. How to find firmware version: Access modem
SB6141
5) Describe any home networking if applicable. (i.e. routers, hubs, adapters, etc.)
EA2700 Cisco wireless router
6) List any firewall and/or anti-virus software you have installed. Include what version you have.
Able to repro on multiple machines with differing OS and software builds

So every night my 50mbit downstream turns into about 10mbit. Latest speedtest at 7pm tonight was 12.6 down 11.9 up. Upstream never seems to suffer, just downstream. I didn't notice it earlier 2013 when I first had service installed (new trenched drop from the ped at the street too) I had a rented gateway in bridge mode previously and opened a Comcast support case about the speeds. After managing to get a tech dispatched, he looked at his tablet and said everything was fine and I must be nuts. And by the way, these gateways stink so get your own modem. He also made sure I wasn't charged the truck fee (good on him, because I wasn't paying it anyway considering nothing of -mine- is broken). Anyway I wanted to drop the lease fee anyway so I went with my own modem (SB6141) and it made zero difference in the situation.

What I've done:
Disconnected first splitter in the house, connected modem directly, connected laptop directly to modem. No change in speed. Tried two laptops this way, and a total of 4 machines when through the EA2700, no change. During the day I can get 50mbit+ on the speed tests every time, but in the evening it rapidly degrades.

So before I call back, what else should I be doing? Is there any realistic way to get the fact that it's slow every night conveyed to someone at Comcast that cares/can do something about it instead of dispatching a tech middle of the day to tell me it's fine? My signal definitely isn't pristine but it seems ok I think and per the tech that came it was acceptable...

Downstream QAM256 (x8)
SNR 37-39dB, Pwr 0-2 dBmV

Upstream QPSK/64QAM (x3)
Pwr: 50-51dBmV
hokie21
join:2003-06-14
Lake Zurich, IL

hokie21

Your story sounds very similar to mine. Comcast claims the will split my node in the next 30 to 60 days.

»[Speed] Comcast speed issue in my neighborhood

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721 to techjoe

to techjoe
Your upstream power is high and possibly out of spec. Your right at the range were problems start to happen and it may even be going higher.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to techjoe

Premium Member

to techjoe
I'm in Joliet, IL and mine seems fine.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to Jim721

to Jim721
said by Jim721:

Your upstream power is high and possibly out of spec. Your right at the range were problems start to happen and it may even be going higher.

Indeed, with the night bringing colder temperatures, they may fluctuate out of spec.
hokie21
join:2003-06-14
Lake Zurich, IL

hokie21 to Jim721

to Jim721
said by Jim721:

Your upstream power is high and possibly out of spec.

How does a potential upstream power issue result in a loss of downstream bandwidth? And how are we able to measure upstream signal level at the CMTS?