uniqs

XPPOS2009
@rr.com

1 recommendation

XPPOS2009

Anon

KB3013455 breaks font rendering on XP/FLP/WEPOS/POS2009

»support.microsoft.com/kb/3013455

" After you install security update 3013455, you may notice some text quality degradation in certain scenarios. The problem only occurs on systems that are running Windows Vista SP2 or Windows Server 2003 SP2. Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available."

This also impacts Windows XP, FLP, WEPOS, POS Ready 2009, and Server 2008 (the last 3 are still supported by MS until 2019)

Causes font display/smoothing/substitution corruption in IE/Chrome/Firefox/other apps.

Do not install this update if you value smoothly rendered readable fonts on any above mentioned OS. Uninstall this update for the same.

FYI, this is the 5th or 6th released iteration of Win32K.sys on XPSP3 based Windows as of the last 6-12 months that is plagued with obvious significant QA issues.

Perhaps they need to move these Kernel patches to the "Optional" section of Windows/Microsoft Update (with a popup dialog box warning at install time "WARNING: This update has had limited QA testing and will break functionality of your Windows installation!") considering how problematic they have been.

ltsnow
Premium Member
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA

ltsnow

Premium Member

Yes, I found out the hard way. I installed all the updates and was noticing that I could hardly read text messages in Thunderbird and some websites had all different sorts of font problems (smaller or changed font completely) with Firefox.

Unfortunately, I had removed all the uninstall files so I had to restore a previous system image and then go through the updates one by one until I found the problem.

vs3
@rr.com

vs3 to XPPOS2009

Anon

to XPPOS2009
Same here - Server 2008, ALL fonts messed up.

I first noticed it in the browser, but then just went to Control Panel -> Fonts and took a look at a few. Arial, Times New Roman, etc - all small sizes were completely unreadable.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to XPPOS2009

Premium Member

to XPPOS2009
»Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for February 10, 2015

Nord
@rr.com

Nord to XPPOS2009

Anon

to XPPOS2009
Everyone, thanks much for these posts. I had no idea why my XP PRO SP3 system was suddenly looking so bad. I did not think of the POS updates being bad, in particular, KB3013455.

My solution was to download the standalone Clear Type Tuner app and run it. It has restored my fonts, although I am not completely sure everything is as it was.

Much thanks for the info.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Nord :

Everyone, thanks much for these posts. I had no idea why my XP PRO SP3 system was suddenly looking so bad. I did not think of the POS updates being bad, in particular, KB3013455.

My solution was to download the standalone Clear Type Tuner app and run it. It has restored my fonts, although I am not completely sure everything is as it was.

Much thanks for the info.

Huh? An updated for old Windows XP SP3?

XPPOS2009
@rr.com

XPPOS2009

Anon

WEPOS and POS Ready 2009 are simply repackaged distributions of XPSP3 intended for "embedded" installations, and their support lasts until 2019.

(this is the basis for the registry edit that allows "plain old" XP to continue receiving patches and updates)

"Plain Old" XP and FLP are still supported via the customer support program for paying customers as well, and continue to get provided updates.

In reality, "support" for XP never really ended, MS simply restricted it for/to certain license types.

Sales and marketing are a potent force though eh?

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie to XPPOS2009

to XPPOS2009
Can't believe this thread has lived so long in the Security forum.
cadillact
join:2006-08-05
Chula Vista, CA

cadillact to XPPOS2009

to XPPOS2009
Vista64 SP2

I uninstalled KB3013455.

My "new courier" font got bad. Didnt see any other degradations.

Xena Torres
@shawcable.net

Xena Torres

Anon

How does one uninstall this horrible thing? My Arial font is just garbage.

Does it just affect how it looks on my screen? If I create an image in photoshop and save it with this corrupted font, will it look like this on other screens?

Thanks in advance!
Xena Torres

Xena Torres

Anon

Sorry - forgot to say I am on Vista. ty.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Xena Torres

Premium Member

to Xena Torres
»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· ws-vista

georgermct
PERFORMANCE
join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT

georgermct to XPPOS2009

to XPPOS2009
Thanks for the info.
I didn't know this update is the culprit for my messed up fonts.
I uninstalled the update and hid it from available updates.
Hopefully MS will send a replacement patch in it's place.

Mike4077
@sentex.ca

Mike4077 to Xena Torres

Anon

to Xena Torres
I can tell you how to uninstall KB3013455 on Windows XP 32 bit, which should be similar on XP 64. Start-Settings-Control Panel then double-click "Add or Remove Programs". You are now by default under the "Change or Remove Programs" tab. At the top of the screen you may see "Show Updates". Manually add a check in the box beside it, then wait 1-3 min. for the screen to refresh. Near the bottom of the list should be a group of installed items called "Windows XP - Software Updates", one of which will hopefully show the offending KB3013455 update. If so, it will say "Security Update for Windows XP (KB3013455)". You then select it by left-clicking and hit "Remove", uninstalling it like any other piece of software. Only after a reboot will the fonts return to normal, or at least this was the case in my own situation. Good luck.

XPPOS2009
@rr.com

XPPOS2009 to XPPOS2009

Anon

to XPPOS2009
»www.infoworld.com/articl ··· 003.html

An additional "corrective" patch (KB3037639) to address broken font rendering has been made available (only at microsoft.com/downloads) for Server 2003/Vista/Server 2008.

»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· form=DLC

It is not going through Windows/Microsoft Update (and therefore automatic updates) at this time.

the KB3037639 patch is not available (yet?) for XP/FLP/WEPOS/POS2009.
Expand your moderator at work

ltsnow
Premium Member
Valdosta, GA

1 recommendation

ltsnow to XPPOS2009

Premium Member

to XPPOS2009

Re: KB3013455 breaks font rendering on XP/FLP/WEPOS/POS2009

There is a patch available today at the following link (post #295):

»www.msfn.org/board/topic ··· /page-12

I have installed it and it works fine. Be sure to follow the instructions and install the reg file first. This fellow Harkaz is very reliable. However, use at your own risk.

andrew_P
@fast.net.id

1 edit

andrew_P

Anon

Hi ltsnow,

Can I get that update-file from you or perhaps somewhere else ?

Coz link that pointed to update-file from
»www.msfn.org/board/topic ··· /page-12
doesn't work and it seem update-file doesn't exist anymore there.

I use XP PRO SP3 hacked in order to get automatic update untill 2019

Currently cannot uninstall KB3013455 from my system through 'add & remove programs',
DOS can detect installed KB3013455 but windows 'add & remove programs' can not.

What should I do..?

Cheers.

ltsnow
Premium Member
Valdosta, GA

ltsnow

Premium Member

The link in post #295 still works fine. I just tested it. The actual link is:

»s000.tinyupload.com/inde ··· 25465161

All you have to do is install the new file. You don't have to uninstall the old one.

andrew_P
@fast.net.id

andrew_P

Anon

Yes it worked !!

I just downloaded and installed the update-file,

Thanks to ltsnow and also to Harkaz

Regard.

Matthias
@t-ipconnect.de

Matthias to antdude

Anon

to antdude
MS has patched the wrong patch.
See KB3037639.

I had the same problem with Server 2003 SP2.
After installing KB3037369 the fonts are ok.

ltsnow
Premium Member
Valdosta, GA

ltsnow

Premium Member

said by Matthias :

MS has patched the wrong patch.
See KB3037639.

I had the same problem with Server 2003 SP2.
After installing KB3037369 the fonts are ok.

Yes, but that patch doesn't work with POS Ready 2009.