spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dlarvin
join:2015-02-11
US

dlarvin

[Internet] Need help setting up DDW3611 as router...Modem is damaged

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum. Hopefully I'm not asking something that has been covered already. I did search through here for quite a while and had trouble finding exactly the kind of info I need. Any help would be much appreciated. My problem is, I have a ddw3611 modem/router gateway that I had to replace a while back. Actually had a technician come out to test it, that's how i know for sure whats wrong with it. He said the modem functionality was damaged or corrupt somehow and he gave me a new Arris "modem only"... instead of a combo unit, which I have had connected to a netgear router for some time with no problems. Anyway, couple days ago my 5 year old niece spilled liquid on the netgear. it's completely dead now, and I'm not in a position financially to buy a new one just yet. But, I had held on to the ddw3611 , thinking I might use it in Router Mode later on. and, it seems, that day has arrived. My main question is, Which operation mode should I change it to? And,how do I correctly set it up once I have changed the operation mode? I know how to access the correct menus, with the last 8 of the mac and the "c0nf1gur3m3" login password, but not sure how to proceed from there. I have read through tons of posts on here relating to putting it into bridge mode, but no specific instruction on router mode. Again, hello to you all, and thanks in advance for any suggestions or info you may have. Thx.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

You can't put the modem gateway into stand alone Ethernet router mode. The WAN port is connected to coax input only.

If the modem is really dead in it then the thing is a paperweight and not good for anything.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena to dlarvin

Premium Member

to dlarvin
You would need to purchase a router. It's a good thing to separate the modem from the router in my opinion, but you are already there it seems. The DDW3611 is a modem/router combo, and i'm afraid you can't utilize the router portion of it, as it doesn't have a WAN port for a modem to connect to, that goes internally straight to the modem part.

Bring the DDW3611 to the electronic recycler and buy a router. I recommend ASUS brand ones, they are really popular right now.
techguru306
join:2015-02-11
Cincinnati, OH
ZyXEL VMG4381

1 recommendation

techguru306 to dlarvin

to dlarvin
I would contact Time Warner Cable. Most of their leased cable modems has wifi and routing functions built into the modem. If the modem you have has these feature they can remotely activate those features by just calling in to Time Warner Cable support. If your modem does not have these features you can swap your modem out at a Time Warner Cable store or schedule a truck roll. You can either contact them using the Time Warner Cable direct forum link »/forum ··· erdirect or call their national help desk at 1-800-892-2253. They would be able to activate those feature and get you set up.