uniqs

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Re: [Security] motion detector false alarm?

Click for full size
Click for full size
More

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL

Tursiops_G

MVM

What time of day did it trip?

Could it have been a glancing Sunlight reflection from the interior windows straight back into the detector?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Early morning around 10 or 11

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
You might try turning down the sensitivity of the PIR. There is no need to run it on a hair-trigger.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

The funny thing about it is I'm not sure how low its set now.. I remembered arming it hiding in a room then walked in plain view of it but it never tripped but the one down the other end of the hallway did

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to Subaru

to Subaru
Make sure you take the front off the motion sensors and clean them, spiders can make it their home. Keep it clean around them too.

I use this one: »www.dsc.com/index.php?n= ··· id=1308#

I would move the sensor so that it is not as close to the window, pointing them at the windows is fine.
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to Subaru

to Subaru
Wow that is a crapload of glass to make the PIR do crazy things.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Yeah that's why I was asking if it was going to be an issue
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor

Does your model have an indicator light that flashes when it is sensing movement? It is easier to adjust them since you don't have to go look at a panel to see what something trips.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

As far as I know it does not most likely to conserve battery power. The only time it turns red is when it trips when armed.

I can't 100% remember but I think the system has a test mode but it does not say about the pir sensors
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Update it was not that detector that one is listed office entry but about to call the alarm co to put the system in test
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Wow none of the detectors light the led up anymore but it will still send the alarm signal.. I assume a power saving measure

I'm doing video

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

Msradell

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

Wow none of the detectors light the led up anymore but it will still send the alarm signal.. I assume a power saving measure

I'm doing video

Unless the detectors are battery-powered I doubt it is for power conservation. Many detectors like this have a jumper or dip switch inside that you change to have the light flash or not when motion is detected. These may be set so the light doesn't come on.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

They Came On Before When They Tripped Now None Of Them do

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
Brooksville, FL

Tursiops_G

MVM

Are they Battery powered?
If So, How long has it been since the last Battery change?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

No clue and they are battery powered the batteries are not cheap for it they say they should last 5 years under normal circumstances

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G

MVM

Check with the alarm co. They should be able to tell you when the sensors/batteries were installed in your system...
If it's approaching 4+ years, then battery replacement may be in order... Find out what type of Battery they use.

Many detectors use either (1) CR123A or (2) CR2032 Lithium batteries... Both of which can be found fairly CHEAPLY in Quantity on Amazon, BTW...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

nope they are nothing like that

it uses a ls14250 battery

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G

MVM

How many detectors, total?

LS14250 on Amazon: »www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ ··· +LS14250

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

askinder
join:2010-07-08
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

askinder to Subaru

to Subaru
The motion detector you have is a UTC, aka: GE, ITI, wireless PIR motion detector. These wireless detectors do turn off the LED to preserve battery and they also go into a sleep mode for 3 mins after sensing movement, which is why it didn't trip when you tested. I would move the detector so it is pointed across the opposite corner and try to reduce the sun hitting directly on the sensor. If the problem persists, you could mask off the inside of the lens that is closest to the bank of windows. Please be aware that the sensor will have a tamper so make sure you are in test mode.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

It has a sleep mode regardless of the system is armed or not? That might explain why when I armed the system then walked in front of it after the count down it never set the alarm off.

If I disarm the system and open it yes it will say tamper on the keypad but as fine as long as it's not armed.

it is a ITI branded detector
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Just got a call the alarm went off again one of the motion dectors but this time a different one
askinder
join:2010-07-08
Kansas City, MO

askinder

This is always a tough question to ask, but... Do you have a pest problem? Rodents and insects can frequently cause false alarms. In the winter months it is common to have rodents enter the building seeking warmth. Have you noticed any signs of rodents?

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Have you replaced ALL of the batteries yet?

Low voltage can cause erratic operation...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I haven't ordered the batteries yet and I haven't noticed any rodents in the past 7 months.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

You might want pull the batteries and check their voltages, and compare against a new one...

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Yep. I find it somewhat annoying that our motion detector starts falsing before reporting a low battery condition. I thought I had replaced "the" battery, but *THEN* it started reporting low battery after replacement. Turns out there was a second battery underneath the circuit board.

Voltage testing didn't show any problems with the CR123A batteries. They all showed over 3V. They only showed some loss when I put a resistor in parallel.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6
Yeah that was my next step

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

1 edit

2 recommendations

ilikeme to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
This is one of the main reasons I stick to hardwired alarm systems in my house and only use wireless if it there is no possible way to get a wire to the location. The only wireless part of my alarm system is the backup cellular transmitter for if the cable internet goes out. All doors, windows, motions, glass breaks, heat detectors, and smoke detectors are hard wired here. 16 zones so far and will be adding another motion and a water sensor for the water heater pan soon.