uniqs

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to Symtex

to Symtex

Telus offers Netflix out of the kindness of its heart, come on

said by Symtex :

TELUS actually believes in Net Neutrality. Don't group us with the evil US ISP counterpart.

Actually Telus is worse, the doupolies (large telcos) haven't been able to pull UBB off in the States as of yet. They've held off while they devour one another (mergers).

We offer Netflix on the STB as a convenience to our consumer. If you can't beat them, join them. That's what we did. We are part of their partner program and the reason Netflix client as on the STB before it's because Netflix did not allow it. Simple as that.They have change their policy and now we are offering it. This is as simple as that.

Netflix didn't allow it? Come on, Netflix has been trying to work with television providers for years. Telus decided what the hell since they were implementing UBB (as others have mentioned). Shomi and CraveTV will never get the subs, so Telus might as well encourage Netflix usage for the UBB buck.
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by bbbc:

said by Symtex :

TELUS actually believes in Net Neutrality. Don't group us with the evil US ISP counterpart.

Actually Telus is worse, the doupolies (large telcos) haven't been able to pull UBB off in the States as of yet. They've held off while they devour one another (mergers).

We offer Netflix on the STB as a convenience to our consumer. If you can't beat them, join them. That's what we did. We are part of their partner program and the reason Netflix client as on the STB before it's because Netflix did not allow it. Simple as that.They have change their policy and now we are offering it. This is as simple as that.

Netflix didn't allow it? Come on, Netflix has been trying to work with television providers for years. Telus decided what the hell since they were implementing UBB (as others have mentioned). Shomi and CraveTV will never get the subs, so Telus might as well encourage Netflix usage for the UBB buck.

This deal was when Netflix started to allow for the first time their client on STB.
»www.wsj.com/articles/SB1 ··· 90857766
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX

I am curious as in the age old question which came first the CHicken or the Egg?

In this case which idea came first

Secretly plan UBB and announce Netflix coming to STBs

Or

Plan Netflix to be deployed to the STBs then hey you know what UBB is needed to.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

1 recommendation

bbbc

said by DanteX :

Plan Netflix to be deployed to the STBs then hey you know what UBB is needed to.

We'll never get the true answer. It's always going to be for the convenience of the customer. I'm thinking the Telus boys decided they'll make more money off of Netflix on their boxes (ala UBB) than with their Movies On Demand. I'm jaded, what can I say.

Pleassse
@telus.net

Pleassse to Symtex

Anon

to Symtex

Re: Netflix to be available on all Telus TV boxes

said by Symtex:

You do realize that if everyone picks up their phone and dial at the same time that we don't have the capacity to handle the volume right ? No provider sells their service on a 1:1 ratio. That would be insane.

You eludes that ISP have abuse their gift of managing the internet. That's discussion goes both way you know. How about the end user abuse ?

I understand if everyone was to use their phones at the same time the system would crash, what I was saying in regard to home phone and abuse and the topic of overage fees which relate to the addition of Netflix is,

Almost all people have access to a home phone, there are relatively low cost options available, but Telus cheapest internet option is 63 dollars plus other fee's which puts it out of range for some households due to high cost and this price barrier has the most negative impact on lower income individuals. You could argue the Internet is becoming more and more of an essential service and it is how the world works now, but as the cost keeps rising more people will lose the benefit and be at a disadvantage. It costs companies like Telus less than one cent per gig of data so that's a huge amount of profit off their bottom package, so yes they are abusing their gift. As far as the consumer abusing the service, you are right those who create unfair congestion for others should be dinged. We as citizens yell, kick and scream at the nickel and dimming from banks, governments and yes ISPs who are driven solely by profit and self interest. The companies here have done a great job at keeping competition out of their playpen and it hurts consumers. I like Skype and would really like to have a Skype phone number in my region, but that is not possible in Canada because Skype would have to get permission and enter into an agreement with one of the carriers here and that will never happen because that would give us choice and we are not allowed to have choice. This lack of choice for consumers is why and how Canadian ISPs can basically charge whatever they want because where you are you going to go. I pay around fifteen hundred bucks a year for my internet connection and for what, so I can have a decent upload rate... With the new overage charges if not enough people are going over I am sure just a hunch companies will lower our data cap to ensure we do go over, like I said just a hunch.

Cheers
AJ102
join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

AJ102

It's apparently active in all of BC as of this morning (Feb 24).

However the bit rate seems to be limited to 2350 kbps, so something's not right there.
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

1 recommendation

Symtex to Pleassse

to Pleassse
said by Pleassse :

said by Symtex:

You do realize that if everyone picks up their phone and dial at the same time that we don't have the capacity to handle the volume right ? No provider sells their service on a 1:1 ratio. That would be insane.

You eludes that ISP have abuse their gift of managing the internet. That's discussion goes both way you know. How about the end user abuse ?

I understand if everyone was to use their phones at the same time the system would crash, what I was saying in regard to home phone and abuse and the topic of overage fees which relate to the addition of Netflix is,

Almost all people have access to a home phone, there are relatively low cost options available, but Telus cheapest internet option is 63 dollars plus other fee's which puts it out of range for some households due to high cost and this price barrier has the most negative impact on lower income individuals. You could argue the Internet is becoming more and more of an essential service and it is how the world works now, but as the cost keeps rising more people will lose the benefit and be at a disadvantage. It costs companies like Telus less than one cent per gig of data so that's a huge amount of profit off their bottom package, so yes they are abusing their gift. As far as the consumer abusing the service, you are right those who create unfair congestion for others should be dinged. We as citizens yell, kick and scream at the nickel and dimming from banks, governments and yes ISPs who are driven solely by profit and self interest. The companies here have done a great job at keeping competition out of their playpen and it hurts consumers. I like Skype and would really like to have a Skype phone number in my region, but that is not possible in Canada because Skype would have to get permission and enter into an agreement with one of the carriers here and that will never happen because that would give us choice and we are not allowed to have choice. This lack of choice for consumers is why and how Canadian ISPs can basically charge whatever they want because where you are you going to go. I pay around fifteen hundred bucks a year for my internet connection and for what, so I can have a decent upload rate... With the new overage charges if not enough people are going over I am sure just a hunch companies will lower our data cap to ensure we do go over, like I said just a hunch.

Cheers

It not just about the cost of bandwidth. It's about all the transport layer that needs to exist to support all of it. From an access point all the way to the MPLS Cloud.

It's take a lot of money to build a national network. That's why you don't see a lot of competition in the market. If it was easy, you would see a lot more company doing it. You have to constantly invest in your network and the COA for each customer is high.

I want to see the cap higher. My personal opinion is that it should be between 750GB to 1TB for higher tier and between 500GB to 750GB for lower tier. Again. I state this is my personal opinion on the subject.
JBear
join:2005-02-24
canada

JBear to AJ102

to AJ102
Watched some Netflix on the PVR last night and the picture looked a bit washed out and not as sharp compared to Netflix on the PS4 or PC.
AJ102
Vancouver, BC

AJ102

Play the test clip "Test Pattern: Downscaling 2997fps 10Min" on Netflix to see what your bit rate is.

Pleassse
@telus.net

1 recommendation

Pleassse to Symtex

Anon

to Symtex
said by Symtex:

That's why you don't see a lot of competition in the market. If it was easy, you would see a lot more company doing it

One reason we don't see much competition here is because the companies that control the internet backbone also control the last mile technology plus there is strict regulations on laying new infrastructure. The top companies here have all been guilty of anti-competitive tactics and predatory pricing making it very difficult for existing second tier companies and any new players to grow in this market. The direction these companies are taking us in is an internet only for the rich, those with less means will not get to take part. And, yes to your point that it can be costly for companies, but still the driving force is profit profit profit and at this pace the market will crash again, each one of the players hoping that when it does it will thin out the playing field thus giving themselves a bigger piece of the pie with true aspirations for all of it. If history has taught us anything everyone will be a loser in the end. As a note: I am not anti-Telus I just don't think the policies any of the ISP companies are applying are healthy for society.

I too think the caps should be around what you have suggested.

Cheers
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX

I think You nailed it it is not an attack on Telus but more of an attack on the conditions in Canada regarding prices and services offered.

I am curious though how many of these Telus Executives know technology and know Networking or do they pull decisions out of their butt with out realizing the effects of those choices.

mm999
@telus.com

mm999 to AJ102

Anon

to AJ102
Of course the timing of adding Netflix to the receiver and UBB isn't coincidental. Netflix consumes a lot of data which will count against your cap. By adding Netflix to the receiver it doesn't count which is an incentive to getting their TV product.

Really no different than what Bell tried this with their mobile TV but it was seen as anticompetitive and the CRTC didn't allow it.
bluenote73
join:2009-02-17
Canada

bluenote73

I believe you're mistaken about this, I think netflix even on the telus boxes consumes data and is counted.
AJ102
Vancouver, BC

AJ102

Is it possible to use any of the Optik TV apps without having Telus internet service? You can get Optik TV without internet, right?

If so, who pays for that bandwidth?
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

Symtex to bluenote73

to bluenote73
Netflix counts towards you caps. People had Netflix before it was on the STB. Nothing changes here. We weren't ready with our tool before. I know some of the tinfoil hat wearer are saying the two are related but they are not. It's very coincidental. I'll give you that. The group of people that work on the Optik APP platform is not the same as the one who worked on the UBB project.
arr0ww
join:2015-02-20

arr0ww to Symtex

to Symtex
said by Symtex:

TELUS actually believes in Net Neutrality. Don't group us with the evil US ISP counterpart. We offer Netflix on the STB as a convenience to our consumer. If you can't beat them, join them. That's what we did. We are part of their partner program and the reason Netflix client as on the STB before it's because Netflix did not allow it. Simple as that.

Keep drinking that corporate Kool-Aid Symtex.

If you can't see the connection between Telus "offering" Netflix , HALFING data caps and now introducing UBB......well......
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

2 recommendations

Symtex

said by arr0ww:

said by Symtex:

TELUS actually believes in Net Neutrality. Don't group us with the evil US ISP counterpart. We offer Netflix on the STB as a convenience to our consumer. If you can't beat them, join them. That's what we did. We are part of their partner program and the reason Netflix client as on the STB before it's because Netflix did not allow it. Simple as that.

Keep drinking that corporate Kool-Aid Symtex.

If you can't see the connection between Telus "offering" Netflix , HALFING data caps and now introducing UBB......well......

Because TELUS user didn't use Netflix before....geez. Tinfoil hat anyone ?
arr0ww
join:2015-02-20

1 edit

arr0ww

said by Symtex:

Because TELUS user didn't use Netflix before....geez. Tinfoil hat anyone ?

"Nearly half of TELUS' Optik TV customers are also Netflix subscribers, and making Netflix accessible to them via their Optik set-top box is a simple but powerful innovation providing access to all their home entertainment in one place. The way we consume television programming continues to evolve %u2013 this latest Optik innovation is a reflection of that evolution and TELUS' dedication to finding new ways to provide our customers with greater choice and control of their entertainment experience so they can watch the programs they want, when they want."

Really? That is the worst buzzword marketing BS I have ever read. Netflix directly competes with Telus's own VOD services. Why do you think UBB exists? Why do you think the caps are so low? Why introduce a service that directly competes with your own? To PROMOTE your own when people start getting charged for using the internet the way they want to.

I called Telus when I heard about this. I talked to someone way higher up than you. I conveyed to this person that I LOVE the service. My Internet is super stable, I've rarely had outages and even then they are short. Unfortunately the business practices, marketing and general F U the customers get every 6 months with a new price increase has lead me to start looking elsewhere.

I will continue to use Telus until my contract is up (6 months) once that happens, I will aggressively look for another ISP who puts the customer first, not the shareholders wallets.
ohreally
join:2014-11-21

ohreally to Symtex

to Symtex
said by Symtex:

We are part of their partner program and the reason Netflix client as on the STB before it's because Netflix did not allow it. Simple as that. They have change their policy and now we are offering it. This is as simple as that.

Must be a pretty slow change for Telus because Virgin Media (cable company) and BT (Telus' direct equivalent) in the UK have had Netflix on their TV boxes for some time (years in Virgin's case) - and they even throw in the Netflix subscription or offer it at a discounted rate.

I don't know whether it counts toward any caps though (it won't on Virgin as the box has a dedicated cable modem/internet connection, and they don't cap), but as caps are becoming increasingly less common here it isn't an issue anyway

tchu
@telus.com

tchu

Anon

You're mixing the TiVo platform with Ericsson Mediaroom platform. Have you developed any application before? Try to develop for Android, iOS, Windows 8.1/10 and the list goes on - let me know if you can do them all at once together.
AJ102
Vancouver, BC

AJ102

Does anyone know why it's capped at 720p resolution? Hardware limitation? Desire to save bandwidth? Or don't-outperform-Crave limitation?

telusflix
@telus.net

telusflix

Anon

said by AJ102:

Does anyone know why it's capped at 720p resolution? Hardware limitation? Desire to save bandwidth? Or don't-outperform-Crave limitation?

Seeing as the STB can only output 720p I'm going to guess that it's a hardware limitation. I hit 3.0 mbps @ 720p on the STB using the "Test Pattern" compared to 5.7 mbps @ 1080p on chromecast. If I wasn't lazy, for comparison sake, I would dig out my ATV2 (it's only 720p) to see it's 720p bitrate but I'm not sure where it ended up collecting dust.
AJ102
Vancouver, BC

AJ102

No, the Telus STB outputs 1080i.

telusflix
@telus.net

telusflix

Anon

said by AJ102:

No, the Telus STB outputs 1080i.

It outputs 720p or 1080i, depending on your setting, but I'm sure you're well aware that 1080i isn't 1080p.
telusflix

telusflix

Anon

To put it another way, the STB can't output 1080p, only 1080i, hence it why "probably" only outputs 720p for netflix as I originally said.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

720p>1080i.
»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· h0iH2xSg
Kruisey
join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC

Kruisey to Pleassse

to Pleassse
Would you care to check up Telus and its employees and Charitable donations.
Maybe that will change your mind a little bit anyway about the Company.
If only we had the volume of folks living in Canada that they have overseas in UK and in the USA.Then we would have lots of choices.We just do not have the human capacity yet.
AJ102
Vancouver, BC

AJ102 to telusflix

to telusflix
said by telusflix :

To put it another way, the STB can't output 1080p, only 1080i, hence it why "probably" only outputs 720p for netflix as I originally said.

So your theory is that the Telus STB falls a little short of the performance needed to output 1920 x 1080 @ 5800 kbps, so they limit it to 1280 x 720 @ 3000 kbps? (Netflix doesn't actually say whether it's 1080p or 1080i, they just give a bit rate and resolution). I guess that's possible, and it could explain why Crave is also limited to 720p. But isn't Optik TV HD about 5 mbps? It must be close. Also if I recall the test clip correctly, Netflix can deliver 1920 x 1080 resolution at a lower bit rate, around 4800 kbps.
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by AJ102:

said by telusflix :

So your theory is that the Telus STB falls a little short of the performance needed to output 1920 x 1080 @ 5800 kbps, so they limit it to 1280 x 720 @ 3000 kbps? (Netflix doesn't actually say whether it's 1080p or 1080i, they just give a bit rate and resolution). I guess that's possible, and it could explain why Crave is also limited to 720p. But isn't Optik TV HD about 5 mbps? It must be close. Also if I recall the test clip correctly, Netflix can deliver 1920 x 1080 resolution at a lower bit rate, around 4800 kbps.

we are currently testing a firmware that would allow our STB to output in 1080p when you stream VOD. I am guessing this will also applied to Crave/Netflix. Most of the TV content is still 720p/1080i.
Gardener
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
·TELUS

Gardener

Premium Member

said by Symtex:

we are currently testing a firmware that would allow our STB to output in 1080p

Now that would be nice. Saw a 4K TV at Costco yesterday; perhaps it's time to retire our 34" CRT. Curiously, the sticker prices were the same, just ten years apart.