Mr Stone
stupid should be painful
Premium Member
join:2001-06-20
From hell

Mr Stone

Premium Member

Need help, module power supply cables and fan hub going to CPU

Building a new computer and need some help with two wires. Power supply is Antec HCG-850M full module. The two wires I am have a problem with are the video card wires X 2 and the optical drive and SSD drive power cable for both. The ones that came with the unit is a daisy chain type and for this setup that sucks.

What I am looking for is just straight runs from each device. The sata needs to be a five pin to the PSU and the video card wire needs to be eight pin to the PSU and six pin to the video card.

I could mod the ones I have but don't want to cut on them because of the warranty. The wire for the video I have is a straight run but then splits off at the card end for another card and I have two runs to the card. That's just a lot of crap hanging on the end of the video card it don't need that and it looks like crap.

The other help I need is there is a fan hub on the back side of my motherboard tray. Case is Panteks Enthoo Pro. It has a wire that is suppose to go to the CPU fan header. No problem but the wire coming off the CPU fan is a four wire and they are no four pin hook ups on the hub just three. I have two fans with the case that are plugged into this case fan hub. Motherboard is Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0. I am sure I will be able to control all the fans and speeds with the motherboard software. Should I try and use this fan hub on the case or let the MB software take care of things. I know I would have to plugged the two fan wires to the MB, no problem.

Maybe someone can wade through all this and help me come up with a place to buy these wires I need.

Thanks.
Mr Stone

Mr Stone

Premium Member

Click for full size
These is the pulgs I am looking ro.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

1 edit

Thane_Bitter to Mr Stone

Premium Member

to Mr Stone
I don't really see the point of the PWM hub, I suppose its there to force 3 pin fans to operate in step (i.e. change rotational speed) to match the PWM input from the motherboard CPU header. If all your fans are 4 wire I would ditch the thing and connect directly to the motherboard.

As for the PSU cabling issues, you might be able to find off the shelf cable assemblies that are to your liking. Failing that if you can identity the connectors you need and those that are on the PSU you should be able to order them (and the pins as well - don't forget them) and construct custom cable sets to your specifications. You could get wire from an old PSU, though be careful as so many of the cheap PSU tend to use wire that is undersized.

IMHO its likely much easier to carefully take your existing cables apart and do surgery on them to remove the unneeded pigtails. Ideally you will want to back the pin out of the connector (there is an art to this as each one is held in place with a small clip, tools are available but things like bar straws also work surprising well to push in the clip so the pin slides out. Cut off the excess wire and then reset the pin into the connector. If the PSU dies under warranty I doubt they will expect the cables to be sent back in.

EDIT: The 8 Pin connector appears to be a MOLEX 39-01-2080
and the 6 Pin a MOLEX 39-01-2065

Related Molex power connector products: »www.molex.com/molex/prod ··· oduction

Mr Stone
stupid should be painful
Premium Member
From hell

Mr Stone

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

If all your fans are 4 wire I would ditch the thing and connect directly to the motherboard.

The two fans that came with the case are three pin and MB is all four pin. So how will that pan out?

Thanks.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

They will fit into the 4 pin socket, the socket on the mobo is asymmetrical (the tab which sticks up is off to one side) so it can only plug on one way leaving the PWM pin unconnected.
When you run a 3pin fan in a 4 pin socket it will run at full speed, this may or many not be desirable.

According to the user manual for that case there should be a 4pin connector on that fan hub which is to connect to the CPU header on the mobo, not sure why you don't have it.

Depending on their noise and airflow characteristics upgrading to larger PWM fan might be a worthwhile option in the future.

Mr Stone
stupid should be painful
Premium Member
From hell

Mr Stone

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

According to the user manual for that case there should be a 4pin connector on that fan hub which is to connect to the CPU header on the mobo, not sure why you don't have it.

Depending on their noise and airflow characteristics upgrading to larger PWM fan might be a worthwhile option in the future.

It dose have the four pin from the hub that goes to the CPU fan header. So if I plugged that into the CPU header on the MB then the CPU fan into the hub it all be good but the CPU will run full speed or will the hub take care of the CPU fan?

Thanks

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

Yes, the Mobo will input a PWM signal into the hub, and in return the HUB will adjust fan speed by reducing/increasing the voltage to the fans connected to it if you connect it this way. FAN1 (3pin connector) provides RPM feedback to the motherboard.

Given that your mobo has two separate "Q fan" settings (one dedicated for the CPU fan alone, the other is global to the rest of the mobo fan headers) another way is to run the fan hub from the mobo chassis/case header rather than the CPU header, use the mobo cpu fan header and connect the cpu fan directly to it, and connect the three pin case fans to the fan hub. In this configuration fan speed is controlled though CPU and Case fans operate independently.