spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Jeffo
join:2009-08-25
Downing, WI

Jeffo

Thoughts on this homemade antenna mast

I've been researching how to build an antenna mast out of readily available materials. I've looked at the all metal tilt over mast using schedule 40 pipe, and that remains an option. Only problem is that I would need to get someone to do the welding for me.

Then I came across this : »s3com.net/masts.html

The basic premise

1) Put a long wood post in the ground. The person on the site used a 20ft long 4x4.
2) Use a strap hinge on the top to allow for tilting over when maintenance is needed.
3) Use EMT pipe bolted together for the metal part of the mast. The lower part of the pipe that overlaps the 4x4 wood post are bolted together when the mast is erect.

I'm thinking about going with this design, but I would want to build it stronger that what the person on the site is doing. I also don't think I'd need the gin poles.

My upgrade thoughts.

1) Use a 20ft 6x6 post buried 5ft, and use some bags of quickrete. Ultimate would be to use four 16ft 2x8's and four 8ft 2x8's to create a 24ft long limited beam.

2) Use a single piece of 21ft long x 1 5/8", commercial quality chain link fence top rail vs bolting together smaller pieces of EMT. I only need 30ft of height.

3) Use tube straps to attach pipe to wood post?

Any other recommendations?
OldCableGuy (banned)
join:2014-12-19

OldCableGuy (banned)

I suppose it'd work but man it looks rigged as heck and that hinge would be a point I would be concerned of eventual fatigue and breaking.

I'd recommend you just drive around and look for old Rohn type towers and see if you can get one that way. I got a 40 foot freestanding Rohn type tower for the cost of hauling it away.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by OldCableGuy:

I'd recommend you just drive around and look for old Rohn type towers and see if you can get one that way. I got a 40 foot freestanding Rohn type tower for the cost of hauling it away.

Yeah here in Canada driving in the countryside I see tons of towers with very obviously neglected TV antennas. Pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult at all to find someone willing to let you haul it off their property.

I'm going to go under the assumption that there are also many unused towers stateside too.
OldCableGuy (banned)
join:2014-12-19

OldCableGuy (banned)

Yes it is fairly common, although WISPs in some areas have picked up quite a few. In my case, I found a guy on Craigslist who had it listed for $50. After promising I wasn't going to scrap it, he gave it to me simply for driving 30 miles to pick it up in my Ranger. He was a ham who had purchased it in the 70s, eventually he took it down in the 90s and now was getting old enough he wanted it to find a good second home.
Jeffo
join:2009-08-25
Downing, WI

Jeffo to OldCableGuy

to OldCableGuy
I've been looking for a used tower for the past 6 months, and I've had no luck. Rohn style towers just aren't very common in these parts. Most people used a pipe connected to their homes, or a tripod on the roof. It also seems that television antennas have made a comeback since going digital.

I'm seeing a lot more newer style antennas around.

I do agree that the hinge looks like a weak area, but its only a pivot point. The hinge doesn't support the pipe in any way. I would secure the pipe to the post in multiple spots starting just below the hinge to the bottom of the pipe.
AMonfiletto
join:2005-05-14
Wiscasset, ME

AMonfiletto to Jeffo

to Jeffo
You can see my mast on my qrz Page, search for kc1cwc.
I found the metal tubing used for chain link fences is perfect.
You can use two ten foot sections and sleeve internally with emt to join.
Survived the blizzard of '15

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to TheMG

to TheMG
When I was doing work for a WISP in Rural Arkansas several years ago just about every house had at least a 50' 25g or 45g tower with a TV antenna on top and a 10' mesh dish next to it. I'm sure it's like that all over rural America and very few are still used because of Dish and Direct.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium Member
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

1 recommendation

SmokChsr to Jeffo

Premium Member

to Jeffo
said by Jeffo:

It also seems that television antennas have made a comeback since going digital cable and satellite prices went crazy.

There got that one fixed up for you..