Beer...The other white meat.
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Not There

Drex

Premium Member

vSphere 6

vSphere 6.0 Is Almost Here

As I'm sure most of you VMware users know, vSphere 6.0 is slated for a GA release in March, 2015. I have not seen it, but knowing how they are here, I'm sure it'll be installed and running (without any real testing) not long after it's been released.
Of course along with this comes another round of certifications. I was able to update mine to VCP5.5 only b/c of the delta exam they offered. I'm curious if there will be a similar offering.

What's funny is some of our hosts that are running ESXi 5.5 are no longer supported. May the tech gods help us should we run into issues on one of those hosts.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Drex:

some of our hosts that are running ESXi 5.5 are no longer supported.

Why?
have you not applied patches?

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or

Premium Member

Just like anything else, some stuff has to be dropped off the support list
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

ke4pym to Drex

Premium Member

to Drex
We're waiting for vSphere 6.0 release b, update 1 to come out before we jump from 5.5.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to The Dv8or

Premium Member

to The Dv8or
But 5.5 is currently current.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to The Dv8or

Premium Member

to The Dv8or
said by The Dv8or:

Just like anything else, some stuff has to be dropped off the support list

As in not renewing support with VMWare? on production servers? That you may want to upgrade?

Drex
Premium Member
Not There

1 edit

Drex to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
HP DL580 G5's are no longer on VMware's support list for vSphere.

They stopped support after 5.1.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Drex:

Oh, well it still runs fine.
I have a DL580G5 w/ 128GB ram and 4x 2.93GHz quads at home running ESXi 5.5

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Drex

MVM

to Drex
Hopefully the faster web UI is as fast and improved as they say it is. Nothing beats the vsphere client.

I'm still on 5.0 with all the latest VUM updates. Environment works great. Two vcenter servers at different sites, using SRM and vSphere replication. Everything is running so well, I'm nervous to disturb it. It didn't go so well attempting to upgrade the remote sites vcenter server to 5.1. Services would never work right and I was in certificate hell. Was glad I cloned the 5.0 vm machine prior so I could roll back.

Drex
Premium Member
Not There

Drex to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by Drex:

Oh, well it still runs fine.
I have a DL580G5 w/ 128GB ram and 4x 2.93GHz quads at home running ESXi 5.5

Yeah it is running fine. In fact we are having a problem with the G7's we have. VMs will become unresponsive (some not all) and we are forced to hard boot the host. We've had a ticket open with VMware, EMC (our storage), and Cisco (FC switches). They all point fingers at each other.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Drex:

Yeah it is running fine. In fact we are having a problem with the G7's we have. VMs will become unresponsive (some not all) and we are forced to hard boot the host. We've had a ticket open with VMware, EMC (our storage), and Cisco (FC switches). They all point fingers at each other.

We were having an issue like that where a VM would lockup and the only solution was to hard boot the host it was on.

that got fixed by applying host patches

We figured if we called VMware about it they'd first ask that the hosts be up to date and then likely ask that your storage array firmware be updated so before calling we patched the hosts, and are still planning to patch the storage but the issue is already gone.

Our's are UCS servers btw.

Drex
Premium Member
Not There

Drex

Premium Member

We believe our problem is that our hosts (and HBA drivers) are at the latest patch level, but our Cisco 9513 switch is not and won't be for a while. There are other Storage components involved that are prohibiting us from upgrading them.

To say this is a bad storage implementation is an understatement. We have improved it, but you can only polish a turd so much.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Are the hosts on the latest build? VMware released a patch on feb-5
build number 2456374

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Drex

MVM

to Drex
The only issues we have is when we commit snapshots. Usually its Veeam that calls the VMWare API to commit the snapshots, but occasionally we make one here or there and when we are done we consolidate it. The VM can become unresponsive to the network for a minute during the last 95% of snapshot consolidation.

We see this mainly as an unresponsive website every night at the same time as Veeam completes its job. VMWare investigated and says our 30-second to 1 minute stun times are normal. I guess its a part of the process when it merges the delta disk to the main disk.

Drex
Premium Member
Not There

Drex to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Are the hosts on the latest build? VMware released a patch on feb-5
build number 2456374

They are in process, but for the most part they are. I'm of the mindset to patch those hosts running test/dev VMs...unfortunately, this environment doesn't exactly have that luxury, so we patch our internal customers, then our external. You know, 'cause it's better to break our internal customer's production systems than our external ones.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Ya, I patch our Dev hosts before our prod, but then again the issue wasn't happening on dev because of how the dev is set.

Our issue was that when an automated snapshot happened it would hang and never complete, and our dev cluster isn't set to do automated snapshots.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

2 recommendations

ke4pym to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Hopefully the faster web UI is as fast and improved as they say it is.

You know. I can appreciate VMWare's desire to accommodate more people and diverse systems. But this whole "let's send all the consoles to a browser based connection" trend is annoying.

If I have 38 tabs open and one console has a problem it whacks the entire browser which whacks the other 37 consoles I have open. Which is annoying to log back into each and every one of them.

Which is why I continue to use the fat client. And will until they make it completely not work.

I've heard the new edition of the Web UI is *STILL* not HTML 5 enabled.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

said by ke4pym:

said by cypherstream:

Hopefully the faster web UI is as fast and improved as they say it is.

You know. I can appreciate VMWare's desire to accommodate more people and diverse systems. But this whole "let's send all the consoles to a browser based connection" trend is annoying.

If I have 38 tabs open and one console has a problem it whacks the entire browser which whacks the other 37 consoles I have open. Which is annoying to log back into each and every one of them.

Which is why I continue to use the fat client. And will until they make it completely not work.

I've heard the new edition of the Web UI is *STILL* not HTML 5 enabled.

The vSphere 6 web client is still Flash based. The good news is the c# client now supports all hardware levels. The bad news is that it no longer can connect to vCenter.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by AsherN:

The bad news is that it no longer can connect to vCenter.

WHAT!!!!

Doesn't sound ready for live.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to ke4pym

MVM

to ke4pym
Well then I have no reason to upgrade. Everything is working fine in our 5.0 environment. I keep it patched with VUM.

A prior attempt to upgrade to 5.5 didn't work (some installer issue), so I tried going to 5.1 first. I was in certificate hell for days until I decided to go back to the original vcenter server. Getting everything to play nice just wasn't working out. Maybe the upgrade process is smoother in 6, who knows, but why break something that works. Greenfield application, yeah sure I'll go to the latest and greatest. But why potentially break something now and get worse off performance with some Swiss cheese security laden flash garbage.

OmenQ
Spazz
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21
Continuum

OmenQ to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

The bad news is that it no longer can connect to vCenter.

As they say on Shark Tank, I'm out.
ddrant
join:2010-03-02
Womelsdorf, PA

1 recommendation

ddrant to Drex

to Drex

said by Drex See Profile
In fact we are having a problem with the G7's we have. VMs will become unresponsive (some not all) and we are forced to hard boot the host.

We were having a similar issue with some G7 hosts and the fix was updating the HP agentless management bundle vib:

»h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/ ··· 04458499
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

But why potentially break something now and get worse off performance with some Swiss cheese security laden flash garbage.

Because eventually, your time is going to run out on security patches.

Dunno about you, but we have a lot of 3 and 4 letter compliance letters to deal with. And they get cranky when you run on unsupported software.

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

The vSphere 6 web client is still Flash based. The good news is the c# client now supports all hardware levels. The bad news is that it no longer can connect to vCenter.

So what I am reading is stay with 5.5 for the foreseeable future until I have to upgrade kicking and screaming, got it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

The good news is the c# client now supports all hardware levels. The bad news is that it no longer can connect to vCenter.

Ok so can you clarify a bit?
Can the C#6 client connect to a vcenter 5.5?
or is the C#6 just plain unable to connect to any VC?
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

said by AsherN:

The good news is the c# client now supports all hardware levels. The bad news is that it no longer can connect to vCenter.

Ok so can you clarify a bit?
Can the C#6 client connect to a vcenter 5.5?
or is the C#6 just plain unable to connect to any VC?

C#6 cannot connect to any vCenter.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream to ke4pym

MVM

to ke4pym
Yeah we will move when we are forced to.

We shed Win 2000 when it was time. We shed XP when it was time, and we are on target to shed Win 2003 on time.
AsherN
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to Weasel

Premium Member

to Weasel
said by Weasel:

said by AsherN:

So what I am reading is stay with 5.5 for the foreseeable future until I have to upgrade kicking and screaming, got it.

Pretty much. It means that to run 6 you need that security swiss cheese called Flash. But wait, the web client, you know what is supposed to allow you to admin from anywhere, and which of us actually do that, still needs to install a component. Then you need the C# client, in case vCenter goes tits up and you have to connect directly to the host. Oh, and if you want VUM, well, there a thick client for that too.

I fear VMWare is going to be remembered right along Novell. The best, innovative in it's space, but run by engineers who think they know better than to listen to customers.

If my install wasn't so bloody large, I'd switch to hyper-V. Even if you need to get SCCM Datacentre, that's still half the price of VMWare. But I can't afford to license SCCM for my 14 hosts.

It's the vRAM tax all over again. Stupidest smart people I know.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to AsherN

Premium Member

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

Can C#5.5 connect to vc6?
ddrant
join:2010-03-02
Womelsdorf, PA

ddrant to AsherN

to AsherN
said by AsherN:

In the release version C#6 can connect to vCenter 6. VMware caved to demand.

"With the GA build, you can use the vSphere C# Client to connect to vCenter to do all activities just the way you would have done with previous releases. However, all new features from vSphere 5.1 onwards are available only in vSphere web client"

»blogs.vmware.com/vsphere ··· ion.html

So if you want to use new features (like I'm doing with VSAN) you have to use the web client to manage them, but basic standard stuff can still be done with the updated C# client.

I keep the C# client pretty much running all the time at work, just jump on the web client when I absolutely need to.