spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DrD
join:2008-03-03
Harrisonville, MO

DrD

[Plumbing] Plumbing rip-off

Let me start by saying I hate doing plumbing, so I usually hire someone. Today, I needed a shut-off for a toilet replaced at my home. Wanna guess how much they wanted? I was expecting maybe $100. Oh, no....on top of the $89 call-out fee, they wanted $300 additional...

No thanks! I'll cuss at it and fix it myself.....

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

[Plumbing] Re: Plumbing rip-off

Was it a gold plated valve?
DrD
Harrisonville, MO

DrD

My wife's first thought, exactly!

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to DrD

Premium Member

to DrD
Is it a threaded on valve or a soldered on valve? If it's soldered on the entire system will have to be drained the old valve heated to remove it and the new valve soldered on. In addition something protection will have to be used to keep from damaging the wall around the old valve when it is heated up. It's certainly not the easiest job out there if it's soldered on, if it's threaded is another whole matter, much easier.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to DrD

Premium Member

to DrD
And if its the solder type, just replace the guts, its rare you have to change to valve body
DrD
Harrisonville, MO

DrD to Msradell

to Msradell
Threaded or compression, don't know. My plan is to turn the water to the house off, take it off, and go to the hardware store for a new one. I suspect that I'd really just have to replace a washer/o-ring, but won't know until I get into it.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

Is it a threaded on valve or a soldered on valve? If it's soldered on the entire system will have to be drained the old valve heated to remove it and the new valve soldered on. In addition something protection will have to be used to keep from damaging the wall around the old valve when it is heated up. It's certainly not the easiest job out there if it's soldered on, if it's threaded is another whole matter, much easier.

If there is enough pipe sticking out from the wall, why not just shut off water main, cut off the old one and put a compression one in its place? That's what I did with my vanity, is it something special with the toilet ones?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to DrD

Mod

to DrD
Post a pic and we can help better.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to DrD

to DrD
For fairly simple things like that I can describe what is needed over the phone they can give a quote over the phone and they decide if they want to do it.
Barring I lie or they find bad pipe in the walls over the phone they decide what to quote and if a big enough job. Last time I bundled two smallish jobs into one to make it worth their time. I did the drywall.
nonymous

nonymous (banned) to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
My god the last plumber I had got the old solder off and new one on before I could have wrenched on a new one.
Yes I clean out clutter and leave open work areas etc. But solder for a real plumber is usually a nothing. OK attics in a corner etc. But a real plumber solders when needed.

Boooost
@optonline.net

Boooost

Anon

Some non-plumber "maintenance workers" were doing plumbing in an apartment building in NJ recently, and they ended up burning down the entire 230 unit building, permanently displacing 500 people. So make sure you always get a real plumber.
nonymous (banned)
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

Or at least licenses with real insurance if they do burn it down. But a real plumber I mean someone with experience and training to take normal precautions.
I have seen them use safety firepoof blankets and maybe even keep a fire extinguisher on hand. I was around a lot of construction in another job.

CNYguy
@verizon.net

CNYguy

Anon

I don't know if you can do it in this case but Sharkbite shutoff valves have worked great for me. So easy to install for someone like me that doesn't solder.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium Member
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK

2 recommendations

Majestik to DrD

Premium Member

to DrD
That plumber was a DIY motivational speaker.
He just didn't know it.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to DrD

Premium Member

to DrD

Re: [Plumbing] Plumbing rip-off

Trace the water lines in the basement, there may be a single shutoff for the toilet. If it's solder, I would shut down the whole house, drain water from the lowest point. Might cut down on the cussing a little bit.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to CNYguy

Premium Member

to CNYguy

Re: [Plumbing] Re: Plumbing rip-off

+1 for Sharkbite. I can't solder worth crap and don't want to take the time to learn. They're blindingly simple to use and so far their reliability has been perfect. They even make some chrome ones that are quite visually appealing.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

1 recommendation

MaynardKrebs to DrD

Premium Member

to DrD

Re: [Plumbing] Plumbing rip-off

At that price I think he wanted to install a mitral valve.
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

1 recommendation

lawsoncl to DrD

to DrD
Surprised no one has asked yet, but why does it need replaced? Not shutting off, dripping? Dripping usually just means tightening the big packing nut under the valve handle a touch.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

1 recommendation

cowboyro to DrD

Premium Member

to DrD
There is a 90% chance that the valve can be repaired by replacing the guts with the ones from a similar valve (or just seals).
Shut off the water main supply, open faucet on lowest level (outdoor? sink downstairs?) and highest level.
Chances it's a $4.95 fix (plus tax).
On the other side I've been quoted $400 to replace a leaking hydraulic jack from my oil burner. I thought I could do it in 5 minutes with a $35 part following a video...
I was wrong... It actually took about 15 minutes including cleaning the tools and putting them back.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

3 edits

2 recommendations

Grumpy4 to DrD

Premium Member

to DrD
said by DrD:

Oh, no....on top of the $89 call-out fee, they wanted $300 additional...

I'm not justifying the price, but I do wonder how much of that goes to liability insurance, worker's comp, and employee health benefits? The liability piece would require a premium to cover a catastrophic problem at the highest value home with a formula to cover the expo$ure of x number of employees.

Around here, tree workers comp rate is something like 90%. That means for every $100 paid in wages, $90 is paid to the worker's comp carrier. I would have to believe that plumbers must fall into the 25% or higher range due to back injuries. I would think a decent plumber would make at least $1000 per week. There goes $250 per week per plumber to worker's comp. 10 plumbers = $2500 per week, and so on. Somebody has to pay that, and that means you and I.

The US Insurance industry and (almost) every lawsuit, regardless of how frivolous = a payday - bankrupting America since...
nonymous (banned)
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to DrD

to DrD
I don't think small jobs are worth it to some trades people. They want x dollars on every truck roll minimum. Thing is like I said if you could describe what was needed they should have been able to ballpark a quote on the phone not minimum 89 truck roll just to give a quote.
I have also as said lumped a few smaller jobs together to make it worth their effort. A larger bill but more done a cheaper per item.
Made work areas uncluttered and did wallboard myself.
If they don't want or need smaller work tell me on the phone or give me a dumb estimate and I'll move on.

Termites
@cox.net

Termites to DrD

Anon

to DrD
said by DrD:

Let me start by saying I hate doing plumbing, so I usually hire someone. Today, I needed a shut-off for a toilet replaced at my home. Wanna guess how much they wanted? I was expecting maybe $100. Oh, no....on top of the $89 call-out fee, they wanted $300 additional...

That's why you always get a estimate of the job first,
I had one of those company's that come out they charged $80 gave me the estimate if I wanted the work done then that $80 was applied to the cost..or free estimate....
Termites

Termites to lawsoncl

Anon

to lawsoncl
said by lawsoncl:

Surprised no one has asked yet, but why does it need replaced? Not shutting off, dripping? Dripping usually just means tightening the big packing nut under the valve handle a touch.

no only that but the O-ring that can be replaced is the issue,just take that nut off replace it easy.

+1Sharkbite..
18189353 (banned)
join:2014-10-28

18189353 (banned) to DrD

to DrD
said by DrD:

That sounds like the "FK off" price which they give when they don't want the job but if someone is willing to pay the price they'll do it anyways.
DrD
Harrisonville, MO

DrD

Minor update. It's definitely a threaded connection to the pipe from the wall. So, it should be easy to use a pipe wrench and pliers to take the old shut-off off.

I've never opened up a faucet and messed with the o-rings/washers, which is why I'd lean towards just replacing it. Are there any special tools needed to take it apart?

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

Just make sure you grip the pipe coming out of the wall so it does not rotate and break something inside the wall as you unscrew the valve. Teflon tape or some type of pipe dope will be required to seal the threads.

You probably know that, so don't be offended, but I am putting it out there just to be sure as you don't like to do plumbing......
DrD
Harrisonville, MO

DrD

Thanks for the hints! I've done stuff like this before, but with much older pipe, and yes, it broke off inside the wall....yet another trip to the hardware store and some more cussing.
edale
join:2012-01-21
Seattle, WA

edale

Ouch! Now you're probably thinking you should have gone with the high-estimate plumber!

Anyway, suggest you replace the shutoff valve with a good quality 1/4 turn ball valve. More reliable, longer life.
DrD
Harrisonville, MO

DrD

Turned out to be a compression fitting on copper. New shut-off, new braided hose, $15, and less than an hour.

Success!

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

said by DrD:

Turned out to be a compression fitting on copper. New shut-off, new braided hose, $15, and less than an hour.

Success!

That's great on your repair.

That's what these problems frequently turn out to be. Easy and cheap fix. Outrageous plumber out of luck.