spc
Search similar:

uniqs

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

Re: [CustSvc] At work pics.... Yes I am a professional!!! 56k/DSL DIE!!!

We are in middle of a node split, and this is how the old node is hanging...Been this way for a long time!! Reason behind it, is that the strand has broke twice in ayear due to age/weight. 2 nodes, some fiber and 8 piece of hardline.

gar187er

gar187er

I cannot wait to have this outage.

gar187er

gar187er

you know those amps techs put in your house?

We as line techs hate them. This is the spectrum scan of one with nothing hooked up it other then power.

gar187er

gar187er

I think it is safe to say that we set this dog house a little low.

gar187er

gar187er

Time for some new power supply batteries!!!

gar187er

1 recommendation

gar187er

Here is the inside of one of the many flavors of Harmonic nodes we have.

The black/blue plug ins are what directs signal flow so it can be split from a 1x4 to 2x2 or 4x1

gar187er

gar187er

It may be a little cold outside!!!

gar187er

gar187er

This is what happens when you to cram a splice enclosure, the whole pigtail, and a node in one ped.

gar187er

gar187er

I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!!!

gar187er

gar187er

Splicing inside of underground vaults is not fun! If its just cable then its not too bad. But please, no amps!!!

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

4 edits

Mike Wolf to gar187er

to gar187er
Really neat. Thank you for uploading.
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA

fixrman to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf

Re: [CustSvc] Re: At work pics.... Yes I am a professional!!!

That one blue rack looks like the set-up in a school where I recently worked. Unbelievable laziness for cable management.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er

said by gar187er:

Splicing inside of underground vaults is not fun!

I think some of the enclosures I see in DC would drive you a bit crazy. This is one on the corner of 14th and U St. NW that was a little too full to stay closed.

Splice enclosure on the right No idea what the box on the left is.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to graysonf

to graysonf

Re: [CustSvc] Re: At work pics.... Yes I am a professional!!!

Those look like the telecom room of the typical Knights Inn....
battleop

battleop to karpodiem

to karpodiem
I've seen the Comcast cage at 56 Marietta. It's pretty impressive.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er

said by gar187er:

We as line techs hate them.

How bad is the PPC version of the "active splitter"/house amp? I have one port without a terminator on it and it makes me feel bad. :P

That pic of the hand hole with an amp shoved into it...the dirt from the travelers!

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er

unless your house has 6+ moca outlets they shouldnt be needed. but around here our guys put them in a 4 outlet house with a 50' drop.

Its not so much one brand that is bad, its just techs not being mindful of them. Let alone when they dont tighten fitting in a house with an amp, that can bring down an entire node.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck to gar187er

to gar187er
said by gar187er:

I cannot wait to have this outage.
(pic with the ped in the parking lot)

shouldn't that have some of those concrete poles around it? to block cars from hitting it?

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01
Netgear WNDR3700v4
SMC D3CM1604
ARRIS TM602G

maxbrando to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er
said by gar187er:

unless your house has 6+ moca outlets they shouldnt be needed. but around here our guys put them in a 4 outlet house with a 50' drop.

Its not so much one brand that is bad, its just techs not being mindful of them. Let alone when they dont tighten fitting in a house with an amp, that can bring down an entire node.

Since the introduction of "Continuous Ground"/"Constant Continuity" such as (ppc's EX-PLUS, Gilbert's Ultrashield, TFC QuickSheild,PCT's locking connectors with continous ground, etc...) have you noticed a decrease in problems caused by loose fittings.

Ryder87
@myvzw.com

1 recommendation

Ryder87 to gar187er

Anon

to gar187er
Love your pictures and your insights. I was wondering, hypothetically, if you had complete control of purchases, from hardware in headends and CMTS' all the way down to The type of drop connectors and cabling, what would you want to purchase? Money not being an object.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to maxbrando

to maxbrando
I was thinking the same thing, especially when paired with Antronix' CamPort contact, it seems like a winning combination.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

Problem is those particular connectors are a recent creation and the cam ports are in relatively few products. It would take years and thousands of installs to make a real difference.

On the other hand just properly tightening existing connectors works and costs much less.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

I agree on both points. Simply tightening connectors correctly and installing correctly does make a big difference.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 recommendation

AVonGauss to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
said by DocDrew:

Problem is those particular connectors are a recent creation and the cam ports are in relatively few products. It would take years and thousands of installs to make a real difference.

If you're going to go to all that trouble, might as well just run some fiber.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude
There's one by my house that has been open for probably a year whoever's it is probably does't care.
chip89

chip89 to Ryder87

Premium Member

to Ryder87
Nothing Probably. In most places getting one part is like pulling teeth.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
Seattle, WA

gar187er to maxbrando

to maxbrando
said by maxbrando:

said by gar187er:

Since the introduction of "Continuous Ground"/"Constant Continuity" such as (ppc's EX-PLUS, Gilbert's Ultrashield, TFC QuickSheild,PCT's locking connectors with continous ground, etc...) have you noticed a decrease in problems caused by loose fittings.

none. all those do are hide the leak, and help the digital signal get to the CPE cleaner. it doesnt help us chase ingress.
gar187er

4 recommendations

gar187er to Ryder87

to Ryder87
said by Ryder87 :

Love your pictures and your insights. I was wondering, hypothetically, if you had complete control of purchases, from hardware in headends and CMTS' all the way down to The type of drop connectors and cabling, what would you want to purchase? Money not being an object.

i would build a self tighting rg6 connector. you start the threads, and it torques itself down to 30in/lbs and stays there.

Killa200
Premium Member
join:2005-12-02
TN

1 edit

Killa200 to maxbrando

Premium Member

to maxbrando

Re: [CustSvc] At work pics.... Yes I am a professional!!!

said by maxbrando:

gar187er
Commscope MC2

God, every time I have to deal with whats left of that stuff in our system, I want to throw up.

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01
Netgear WNDR3700v4
SMC D3CM1604
ARRIS TM602G

maxbrando

Premium Member

said by Killa200:

said by maxbrando:

gar187er
Commscope MC2

God, every time i have to deal with whats left of that stuff in our system, I want to throw up.

I hear it that it's great great if you want hardline that kinks and cracks on a regular basis.