uniqs
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

Due diligence

Does anyone know the depth AT&T direct can go in determining how well new service will work for me?

For instance, I've found the vrad and what appears to be the first intermediate pedestal. I can walk the 3 blocks and look for the final pedestal. Unless there is some looping, it should be straight shot up my street. I actually live on the same street as the vrad and the Co. Would need pair bonding.

Can Direct determine if I would need to be provisioned? Does pair bonding involve provisioning two lines?

Or would someone have to physically look to see if the pairs are available? Sorry if my terms aren't exactly correct, there's a LOT to know about this.

I ask because we need to do something in Mar. and ATT can't provide a promo even close to the same cost we pay now. Also, ATT requires money up front with a contract. Am wondering if I have a certain amount of time to just cancel, if I don't like it. Even if so, there is certain amount of money up front that we probably won't get back for quite a while.

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

1 recommendation

tigerpaw509

Im extremely familiar with the dundee,il area and can give you a good idea based on your local cabling.Do you know the address for the cross connect/vrad or closest cross streets?

I have worked this area 30+ years and as far as pedestals yes the cable loops through everyone and they are usually located every other lot.

Pair bonding all depends on cable length and the speed you desire.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to joewho

MVM,

to joewho
I believe you have 30 days to cancel. If you can get a tech who has access, they can run a remote TDR type test on your copper to determine "relative" distance among other parameters that can indicate the speed you could qualify for within their standard engineering constraints.
mibrnsurg
join:2003-07-28
Grosse Pointe, MI

mibrnsurg to joewho

to joewho
There is absolutely no way for sales or tech to know whether you get 4, 3 or 2 HD service or no service at all until the tech comes and checks at the NID.

The problem arises since they know where the VRAD is, they have to estimate distance from the crossbox/VRAD without knowing exactly where the crossbox/VRAD fell in your original line length.

So they estimate who can get Uverse by this some can get a 55M profile, many get the 32M profile, some get the 25M profile, some get pair bonded service, some can't get any Uverse and others who were not estimated are found that they can get Uverse.

Others who can not get VDSL 2 service are offered ADSL 2+ upto a 25M profile and 18M internet/Uvoice service.

Chris
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

1 edit

joewho to tigerpaw509

Premium Member

to tigerpaw509
Tiger, pm sent. Thank you Roland and M.