spc
Search similar:

uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

[Other] activation of some office products

I have a Win7 system that I messed up a bit, and I plan to wipe and re-install everything in mid March, once I finish a couple of evening classes.

I have to use Visio and Project a little bit (probably 2 more Visio drawings and 1 project chart), and I wonder what will happen after the OS re-install. Can I just automatically use my current keys again (will the system remember me?), I need to call in and explain, or what?

I have not activated either one yet since I know that the current system won't last very long.

TIA

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit

norwegian

Premium Member

I can't see why not.

I've used various tools such as MagicJellyBean to source installed keys so I can wipe an OEM machine with a factory restore partition and have the drive clean of all junk.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to aurgathor

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

I have a Win7 system that I messed up a bit, and I plan to wipe and re-install everything in mid March, once I finish a couple of evening classes.

I have to use Visio and Project a little bit (probably 2 more Visio drawings and 1 project chart)

If it is the same exact hardware but just a reinstall of everything I wouldn't see why it would be a problem. The issue comes up usually when folks try to install activated software on fresh new hardware.

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

1 edit

runnoft to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Been a while since I had to do this, so things may have changed, but I've done it within Win7's time, and within that experience, Microsoft doesn't care if you reactivate Windows or Office on the same hardware. They seem to recognize that's what you're doing, and I've never had them require a call before agreeing to activate a key under that scenario.

Now if you're changing hardware--and the last time I did that was probably in Win XP's day--I have had them require me to call MS before they would authorize reactivation of the license. But it was not a problem. I just explained that the motherboard failed, and i had to start over, and they approved it. Of course if I'd been the sixth different user calling that day with the same story for the same key, it might not have been so easy LOL. In my case it might have taken five minutes from the time I called until the key was approved for reactivation. Whether it still works that way, or if they even care anymore, or if they just say NO to everybody trying to reactivate, I couldn't say. It may also vary depending whether you have OEM Win 7 (which is supposed to only be tied to one set of hardware for its lifetime) or retail Win 7--but again, this is just if you're changing hardware.

I don't think you're going to have problem.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
said by norwegian:

I can't see why not.

I've used various tools such as MagicJellyBean to source installed keys so I can wipe an OEM machine with a factory restore partition and have the drive clean of all junk.

I thought that MJB did not work on newer Windoze than XP.

Or did they release a newer version of MJB ?

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Click for full size
I've not tried Win 8 but it supports it according to the site faq.
quote:
Q: Will it work for Windows 8 and Windows 7?
Of course it will. Both Windows 7 and Windows 8 are supported as well as all previous Windows versions, including Windows XP, 2003 Server, 2000, NT, ME, 98 and 95.
»www.magicaljellybean.com ··· der-faq/

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Thanks for the info/update.

As you will see from the below screenshot for MY last downloaded version, mine is rather old (2003-04-20, v 1.41), and was a standalone executable, which, BTW, I successfully used only last week to verify the installed XP key with the one on the label of someone's PC which needed a reload.

But how COULD my ol' version work on newer Windows which were not released yet ?

MJB's author had no way to know at that time, that the way in which MS stored the key would be different starting with Vista, and was even asking for advice about Office 2000 at the time, in the below pic.

I remember mine not working with Vista.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Flashback, or Blast from the Past

Click for full size

This is it ^^^^

Note the 2003 page date in the lower left.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Happy to be of an assistance.
If a tool works why update.