Search similar:

uniqs

graycorgi
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23

graycorgi

Premium Member

[Business] IP address from hundreds of miles away

This doesn't negatively affect me too much except for sites that like to guess my location (weather, etc) are getting it horrendously wrong. I am more curious if anyone else has seen this or if there is a reason for this.

A few weeks ago my modem was rebooted by Comcast and it came back up with a new IP. Previously every IP I have had has started in the 50.142.x.x range, and geolocation sites would put me in Erwin, TN which is pretty close to where I live. I kept the same IP address for years even though I am on DHCP. Before that, changing the MAC would always get me an IP that would come back local to this area on geolocation sites as well. Now I am getting IPs starting with 68.57.x.x which geolocation sites show being in Winchester, VA over 5 hours away. I have changed my MAC a few times but keep getting IPs that geolocation sites show being from different parts of VA. Closest I've gotten to northeast TN is Martinsville, VA.

Has Comcast run out of IPs local to my area? Or is this change a subtle part of the back-end dealings required to move my region off to "Greatland Connections" (I know I am in the 3 million customer area)?

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

1 edit

camper

Premium Member

Don't stress out over incorrect IP address geolocation.

Here's a place to start:
»Location of my IP really strange...

and another...
»/nsear ··· location

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to graycorgi

MVM

to graycorgi
said by graycorgi:

This doesn't negatively affect me too much except for sites that like to guess my location (weather, etc) are getting it horrendously wrong. I am more curious if anyone else has seen this or if there is a reason for this.

Yes, and yes. I saw similar years ago, when SBC moved some IP addresses from Richardson, Texas to San José, California. It only affected an upstream router, but it was weird seeing 15 ms to "Texas". Other ISPs, including Comcast, often re-number their networks to consolidate IP blocks, or whatever.

Geolocation databases are maintained by third parties, using WAGs, SWAGs, and sometimes, seemingly, darts. ISPs are under no obligation to update those databases.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

ISPs are under no obligation to update those databases.

Indeed, I have been seeing the location for my many Comcast IP addresses in Mount Laurel, NJ.

Mount Laurel is actually a nice little town. I wouldn't mind if Comcast paid my moving expenses (all of 'em, don't nickel and dime me ) to move there.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to graycorgi

to graycorgi
said by graycorgi:

Has Comcast run out of IPs local to my area?

They likely just rearranged some IP addresses, for various reasons. I know I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago as well. We're now on a 76.123.194.0/23 subnet, which was previously unknown (by me at least). For a while I was reported by geolocations to be in Wichita, Kansas, and my PTR said I was in Virginia.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to graycorgi

Premium Member

to graycorgi
I'm in Chicago, IL but it's shows I'm in Indiana b/c of this IP address. :/
mtrai
join:2004-12-16
Panama City, FL

mtrai to graycorgi

to graycorgi
For me if do put my eMTA in bridge mode my IP Geolocation is correct for Panama CIty FL. However as soon as I put it in bridge mode my IP Geolocation changes to Kansas City.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

said by mtrai:

For me if do put my eMTA in bridge mode my IP Geolocation is correct for Panama CIty FL. However as soon as I put it in bridge mode my IP Geolocation changes to Kansas City.

You are just getting a different IP address, the different IP address/ranges have different GEO IP information. Apparently one has outdated information in 1 or more Databases, as this info does not come from Comcast you just have to deal with it or complain/submit info to the different Geolocation databases yourself.

graycorgi
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23

1 recommendation

graycorgi

Premium Member

Upon further inspection, this seems to have started with the IPv6 rollout in my area. My IPv4 hostname resolves to a .va.comcast.net instead of .tn.comcast.net too. Guess I'll have to wait for all that jazz to get updated.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA

fuziwuzi to graycorgi

Premium Member

to graycorgi
It is for that reason that I use the Firefox plugin Geolocator. With it, you can place your location wherever you want and Firefox will use that whenever it is asked to provide geolocation.