uniqs

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt

Premium Member

Storm Advice Silliness

Verizon properly has sent many of us an email in anticipation of another winter storm, and includes a paragraph about what to do once the power comes on, including;

Most issues can be resolved by unplugging and plugging your Verizon equipment back in (Set Top Box, Router, etc). If that doesn't resolve your issues, you may need to restart your Optical Network Terminal (ONT) by following these instructions.

The words "these instructions" are a link, but when you click on it, you can't see the instructions for resetting the ONT without logging in and reporting that your equipment is out. Now first of all, it would be nice to have the instructions ahead of time in case they are needed, and second of all, if your ONT isn't working how would you log in and get instructions without internet?

I did a search for instructions on resetting the ONT without my having to report my equipment as not working (it's working fine right now) and nada. Do they even think of the consequences of their advice? Why not make these instructions available ahead of time?

Fingers crossed we won't need them.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Yeah, I wanted to see the steps to reset the ONT also, and saw you had to go through a whole procedure to get to it, so I gave up.

lew_b
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY

lew_b to altermatt

Premium Member

to altermatt
Check the inside of the cover of the battery. May depend on the model(s) of your equipment. The instructions were basically to press and hold one of the buttons on the unit. Happy hunting ...

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

Branch

Premium Member

I am still a fan of how on the regular support site there is a banner on the side that says "most problems can be fixed in 5 minutes or less! Just make sure your equipment is plugged in and the power is on in the rest of your house!"

Like, I feel like most people can tell that if the powers out, you won't be able to watch tv.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to altermatt

to altermatt
my ONT is inside home fios was perfectly fine during hurricane sandy. Snow storm? not a problem! lol

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Branch

Premium Member

to Branch
said by Branch:

I am still a fan of how on the regular support site there is a banner on the side that says "most problems can be fixed in 5 minutes or less! Just make sure your equipment is plugged in and the power is on in the rest of your house!"

Like, I feel like most people can tell that if the powers out, you won't be able to watch tv.

Since 2001 I have continued to watch TV during power outages since my TVs and other electronic devices have been connected to a UPS.

Currently my ONT will be powered up for between 15 to 18 hours before it needs to use it's own internal battery. So during those 15 to 18 hours I can continue to watch TV, use the internet, use my receivers, subwoofers, PCs etc since I use APC UPSs with extended runtime batteries with all my electronic devices. I only wish I could use a generator. But since I live in a condo that is not an option. Which is why I have so many UPSs.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
said by patt2k:

my ONT is inside home fios was perfectly fine during hurricane sandy. Snow storm? not a problem! lol

Doesn't matter if the ONT is inside or outside, we are talking about power outages here and how to reboot the ONT.

Powerless
@verizon.net

Powerless to Branch

Anon

to Branch
Uh, no not everyone understands that if he power is out, your TV won't work. Some time ago, I had a power outage due to a thunderstorm that took us out for 4 days. On day 2 I called the PECO phone number to get an update and during the conversation the PECO rep said "We have dry ice locations set up. All you have to do is turn on your TV to find the locations." I said "What did you just tell me to do?" The instructions were repeated. I said "How do I do that, I don't have any power". Silence, for about 20 seconds. "Oh".

fibergeek4
Frontier FiOS :/
join:2015-01-16
Southlake, TX

fibergeek4 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
You will NOT be able to watch TV if the power goes out. The backup battery is only for the phone. Basically they are required to keep the phone line active in case of an emergency.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

He runs a UPS between the AC main and the power supply which powers the ONT BBU. When the UPS battery is depleted, the internal BBU takes over for the phone only.

It's possible to hack some BBUs to provide all services during battery operation. There's a FAQ for it somewhere.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to fibergeek4

Premium Member

to fibergeek4
said by fibergeek4:

You will NOT be able to watch TV if the power goes out. The backup battery is only for the phone. Basically they are required to keep the phone line active in case of an emergency.

The power went out last night for 2.5 hours. I continued to use my cordless phone, access the internet, and watch TV with my receiver on, SVS subwoofer etc for the entire time. No issues with my ONT since it's connected to an APC UPS(with extended runtime battery) that gives me 15 to 18 hours of runtime for my ONT. And all my other electronic devices are also connected to APC UPSs(most with extended runtime batteries too)

fibergeek4
Frontier FiOS :/
join:2015-01-16
Southlake, TX

fibergeek4

Whoops I completely missed that. Yeah if you put a APC between the ONT and the mains it will think it still has power. I've been thinking about doing it myself.