uniqs
Kiwi88
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Bryant, AR

2 recommendations

Kiwi88

Premium Member

WIFI outside night time security camera questions?

Not my forte, so I humbly request a little support.

Over the last year people in my area have lost a considerable amount of money to car break in criminals, the police in this area are only concerned with the "Life" part of protect and serve. Short story on an incident a week ago. My Daughters fiancée had his truck parked on the street, I have limited off street parking and at midnight a Meth head driving on the wrong side of the road totaled his truck. The police almost refused to write a report, not sure they even did. In the morning I gave him my Jeep and told him to track the radiator fluid as far as he could. He did and located the vehicle five miles away, called me and told him to call 911 so they had to write a report.

The officer turned up, the fella admitted he did it, during that process the officer just wanted out, because he wanted to take his break! Long story short I have called the Mayor and setting up a meeting with an expectation of camera setups in an area that's been targeted for nearly a year, my place has suffered six car break in events. I told the Mayor I consider that a $6,000 additional tax cost from the lack of interest on behalf of the police force, who are known to been extremely diligent in giving out traffic tickets.

The Mayor complained his Daughter had the same problem the night before I called, but another district police officer resolved the issue. His Daughter lives three blocks away. The area was also on the news for this issue with an approximate three mile radius. The police department is only 350 yards away from the area and police live on the affected streets. I say they need to spend less time with three cars at the local Shell station that up the road from the police station for a couple of hours at a time and 'm told they are too busy. Too busy with "Life" issues, that last year was the scene of nine deaths, all these officers do is secure the site for detectives and move on, so I'm left wondering what they actually do or solve besides their high profile traffic ticketing.

QUESTION. Does anybody know of a solid two camera WIFI security setup that will focus on night time activity, most of the area issues are between 11PM and 3AM. I would also want a lithium battery setup, not dependent on house power to provide the coverage needed. Seems very hard to find.

I would be most appreciative of any input in advance.

Thank you.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

1 edit

John Galt6

Premium Member

You want 'live' or 'recorded'...?

It'd be better if you described, in detail, what your objectives and tactics are rather than say 'I need this'...you'll get better answers.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to Kiwi88

to Kiwi88
Where do you want the camera's? Wifi cameras are usually only meant for indoor use, or at least close enough to your house to get your Wifi signal.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to Kiwi88

Premium Member

to Kiwi88
I don't know what cameras to use, but one thing you need to do is set aside money for traffic tickets. Once the cops know that you're pissing in their Wheaties they will make it their lifes work to ticket you for every possible infraction that they can. It's their way of "teaching you a lesson" since they can't break your legs like the Mafia can.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

Nick to Kiwi88

MVM

to Kiwi88
What's your budget for this?
Also, most WiFi cameras will be indoor only units (particularly in the consumer space).

You may want to look into an external Power over Ethernet camera/s. You can then back-up the switch with a UPS to provide some run time for power outages and possibly an SD card to record onto.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to Kiwi88

Premium Member

to Kiwi88
There are PLENTY of outdoor IP cameras.
Can't let that stop you - the cost might.

I have a good indoor wifi low light camera and it cost >$200
I have 2 much better than average outdoor IP units that are fairly good low light, >$400 each.

Where you really get into the money is two areas:
Resolution / wide field of view combination
AND
Low light with 'usable' detail

It is possible in day time to capture license plate detail if field of view is limited or spend a load of $$ for detail & wide field of view (& file sizes sky rocket)
Want license detail at night - that will really cost ya.

This outfit makes high quality gear:
»www.axis.com

This unit doesn't have wifi but there several similar that do, just an example of where pricing for decent gear begins:
»www.bestbuy.com/site/axi ··· 07273159

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Notice I said "wifi camera" as in the 50-150$ type. Ofcourse cameras are made that can go to the bottom of the sear, or space, but I didn't think that was within scope. Most security cameras are going to be hardwired, for security reasons.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

As long as it supports WPA2 AES 256 encryption it should be fine

63 key password changed often (only down side is disconnect packets it's a sore loser in that category )

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Do you actually know of any outdoor, wireless cameras? I looked around and couldn't find many, and most were pretty cheap looking. You could use some kind of casing to put a indoor wifi camera in, but that might block the wireless signal.

And by security reasons, I didn't mean someone hacking them, but someone could interfere with the Wifi signal to cutoff the connection from camera to DVR. Not a issue for OP, but is probably the reason why most manufacturers that make outdoor cameras choose wired.
mocycler
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22

1 recommendation

mocycler to Kiwi88

Premium Member

to Kiwi88
I think you are working this problem backwards. There is no point in having security cameras if the police will not follow up on evidence the cameras collect. In the example you give, the presence of cameras would not have changed the outcome as the cops barely cared even after your future son in law did most of the work for them.

There are plenty of camera systems out there. But before you spend your money, first get a commitment from the mayor that the police will investigate these crimes in earnest. Otherwise, all you have is a glorified doorbell.

That the mayor's daughter and the police station are within blocks of this troubled area and still nothing is done tells me this problem isn't going be solved with hardware.

NickD
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ

NickD to Kiwi88

Premium Member

to Kiwi88
You would think the police would be extra protective of the mayor's daughter because he can get them fired. If they're not doing their job for a VIP, what good will they do for you?
Kiwi88
Premium Member
Bryant, AR

1 edit

2 recommendations

Kiwi88 to John Galt6

Premium Member

to John Galt6
This might answer the need a bit better, the intent is to use a pole across the road at one end of the property and a large tree at the other for the two WIFI battery based and have them active between 10PM and 4AM -Though almost all of the issues have been between 1130PM and 3AM. I would also be adding additional lighting. Another unit would work off the house power. Another attempt was made after this post late at night, but there was nothing for them to steal, left a broken lock on the passenger seat.

Thought perhaps around $500.

I understand the idea that if the police won't action, what would be the point of cameras? The same as for the hit and run --embarrass the police department into action. There will be a court hearing, based of the 911 call and the subsequent admission of guilt. A better question might be why do citizens have to do a police offers job, all I heard were complaints of how much work they had, not what they had done to resolve anything over the last few months.

The Mayors Daughter had her issue resolved within hours, a police officer from another city arrested a fella. The first thing I stated to the Mayor when he said that was I bet it was not this city's police officer taking care of business.

I firmly believe the local police agenda has nothing to do with the tax paying citizens and on the whole it's extremely poor management and nothing else.

Thanks

plk
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
united state

plk to Kiwi88

Premium Member

to Kiwi88
Would this be of any use?

»bushnell.com/all-product ··· led-wifi
It should be able to be set to operate between 10 and 5

No WIFI but this one will take better pictures. I have the older version.
»bushnell.com/all-product ··· -no-glow
Kiwi88
Premium Member
Bryant, AR

Kiwi88

Premium Member

Seems pretty realistic, given two possible uses, a wee bit high at $229 each. Does read well though for a solid product.

Have an appointment with Mayor and Chief, due to bad weather I stated that would have to be over first, but I won't do each separately like they plan. If it can't be all three of us, I'll use the media. From past viewing pleasure it seems people love to talk but few have an action going on, I expect a written plan of action that's dated, I can hold them to.

Thank you.
Cheers

shortckt
Watchen Das Blinken Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell

shortckt to Kiwi88

Premium Member

to Kiwi88
You keep mentioning wireless cameras, likely to be monitored and recorded remotely. But most consumer-grade, affordable wifi IP cameras are not good for prolonged outdoor use, and if anything interferes with your radio signal at a critical moment you would fail to record important evidence. Plus you pay a premium for wifi cameras and that money goes toward the wifi hardware instead of the camera and lens which is what gets you that good identifiable photo of the perp in low light.

What if you used a wired camera and a local digital recorder or a digital recorder with a built-in camera? The digital recorders I'm thinking about use a removable memory (sim card, usb stick, etc.) and you could pull the memory out and download the video to your pc if you discover that something happened while you were away. Being remote you would need to arrange for battery charging or replacement at regular intervals.

Most of those can be set to record on a time schedule, and only if there is motion in view of the camera, saving some battery power. But let's be clear about this, you won't be running a camera and some infrared illuminators 24/7 on a set of AA size batteries.

I've been told by law enforcement here that to be any good as evidence the video must clearly identify the perp, which is difficult to do either at night or from a distance.

Take a look at the place I bought from »www.supercircuits.com they have a wide range of devices including some for special situations.

You seem to have your work cut out for you, with your local LEO not wanting to give a damn.
Kiwi88
Premium Member
Bryant, AR

Kiwi88

Premium Member

Appreciate the input, however in order to make any reasonable use of Surveillance it must come from across the street, without the possibility of a power supply and self contained, it is really the only option. From the house side of this scenario I would not get anything meaningful because of vehicles, trees and distance. From across the street it would be the distance of a secondary road without other inhibiting factors, aside that posed by camera limitations. Evidence as such is less of a concern than showing the lack of meaningful attention given the area at times already noted. Other incidences have occurred, just not to my address and continue between the times listed above.

It's time the Law did their job for those property owners paying their bills. Lately the weather has not cooperated in moving this along in the way intended. It's pretty sad the LEO are more interested in gunning down middleclass citizens for traffic offences (multiple scenes daily), probably because it lines pockets well and little is effort required. I have lost respect for the LEO 'Service.' It's NOT a staffing issue, either, it's fair and equitable distribution and allocation of resources.

Thank you.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to Kiwi88

to Kiwi88
I'd look here: »www.bhphotovideo.com/c/b ··· 80127467

but in your situation it sounds like installing cameras in the vehicles might be a better idea.

»www.bhphotovideo.com/c/b ··· 45021090
Kiwi88
Premium Member
Bryant, AR

Kiwi88

Premium Member

I have used B&H several times in the past, typically with good results. I'll look into this a wee bit more. The weather has been really bad up until today and I had to deal with many other unrelated issues, hope to conclude all this soon, though I have Bushnell high sighted.

I have learned over many, many years that one can't impact a system, the only real hope is to impact individuals in a system. That's possible, based on human nature to accept gratification they know better than to accept! Something about Information Technology and INFORMATION that bureaucrats simply don't understand, probably never will and wonder why something happens to them.

Cheers