join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

1 edit

FureverFurry

Premium Member

[Connectivity] T3 timeouts cold weather related ?

signals.txt
2,997 bytes

Click for full size
Sorry if this is a 'dumb' question, but are T3 timeouts, brief loss of connectivity and dropping downstream SNR related to arctic temperatures? Right now it's about -5F (windchills are about -21F). It's been that cold for a couple of days and my downstream SNR keeps dropping. This morning - T3s and loss of connectivity.

Called Comcast: "James" refused to look at my node; refused to tell me my upstream SNR (ughh) BUT he was determined I needed a new modem, lol. Internet came back on. Below are my stats.

Thanks in advance. I really don't fancy a service call. Now IF I need to buy a modem (leasing the Arris 760), would someone please point me to a link here for a good one? By "good", I mean Comcast-approved AND one not likely to incur lease fees. My connection is wired and old PC isn't set up for wifi.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er

your modem is fine, it is not EOL.

if you are having issues, 9/10 a service call is needed address issues.

your rf signal levels look fine, snr is a tad light. when you say it drops, what does it drop to?
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
MikroTik RB750G
Cisco DPC3941

1 recommendation

voiptalk to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
I have had cold weather related problems. The issue has since been resolved, but I fought with Comcast for two winters. One year I had 8 dispatches and several more phone support calls.

To make my case that it was temperature related, I entered the time, temperature, cloudy/sunny conditions and the modem levels on an Excel spreadsheet. My issue primarily occurred after sunset and settled down on a warm sunny day.

We had to become a major squeaky wheel. The maintenance techs kept insisting that the problem wasn't with the outside plant. But, "just to shut me up" they replaced the TAP that we hang off of. Guess what?! The problem went away and everything has been fine since.

Intermittent problems can be hard to isolate, just need to collect as much info as you can and keep on them.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

1 edit

FureverFurry to gar187er

Premium Member

to gar187er
said by gar187er:

your rf signal levels look fine, snr is a tad light. when you say it drops, what does it drop to?

My SNR had been nice and steady at 36.xx (sometimes 37.1x) for ages. It's just been these last couple of days with arctic temps that it's fallen.

Arghhh: modem log now shows a about 4 MORE T-3s and "ranging request retries" from about 9:38am. Also a few piddly codeword corrections but nothing drastic.

Weather or is Comcast maybe doing something?