Closer to believing
Premium Member
join:2004-05-08
Wayne, NJ

1 edit

Olias

Premium Member

HELP! Can't find specific YouTube account

Alright, here's the deal. I have a Google+ and YouTube account with almost nothing on it. Also, my wife has one also with absolutely nothing on it. Anyway, she asked me to take her hundreds of VHS tapes of old classic figure skating events and digitize them. I suggested she put them on YouTube and she agreed. She wanted to use an alias so I made up a new Google+/YouTube account. Everything worked flawlessly for over a year; I just go to YouTube and it automatically went to my account. Here's the problem: last month my desktop gave up the ghost; the CPU was shot (it was over eight years old). So I got a brand spanking new iMac and bought a mac-compatible video capture system, but I can't remember the account name & password to get into my account I either get my account or my wife's account, not my wife's alias account. I tried Google's troubleshooting sites, and even tried calling Google, but I was on hold for over 4 hours! She 's starting to get a following with figure skating fans and wants to continue offering her tapes, so I figured if there's a way to retrieve my account info it would be through the good people at DSLReports. Any help would be appreciated.

horacebork
Premium Member
join:2011-03-17

horacebork

Premium Member

if there is a way you can extract the hard drive from your old computer, you can put it into an enclosure and use it as an external drive.

mount it to your new imac and let the system index the drive. you should be able to do searches on it. what i would recommend searching for is anything from youtube. specifically, the account youtube emailed you regarding your account activity (uploading videos, etc).

if you can get that far, the email address can be helpful to recover your username password.

this is all broad-brush information, but perhaps might be helpful getting you going the right direction. ..or at least *some* direction. =)

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to Olias

Premium Member

to Olias
When you uploaded to youtube, did you make it public? Did you add tags?

Olias
Closer to believing
Premium Member
Wayne, NJ

Olias to horacebork

Premium Member

to horacebork
Yes, I have the hard drive and an enclosure to use it as a hard drive. I'm wondering if there are any cookies saved I can utilize to access my account.
Olias

Olias to PoloDude

Premium Member

to PoloDude
said by PoloDude:

When you uploaded to youtube, did you make it public? Did you add tags?

Yes. I made tags and it's open to everyone.

horacebork
Premium Member

horacebork to Olias

Premium Member

to Olias
said by Olias:

Yes, I have the hard drive and an enclosure to use it as a hard drive. I'm wondering if there are any cookies saved I can utilize to access my account.

this is exactly what i'm thinking. stuff is there. you have to sleuth it out. extraction tools, time to pull the drive, get the enclosure, cable, setup is a small price, no?

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

1 edit

Hard Harry7 to Olias

to Olias
First place I would start is temp files of the browser. Do you know which browser you used to create the account?

Also, did you connect another account to the alias account, for password resets? Or a phone number? If so, you can search by those via link below.

»www.google.com/accounts/ ··· username

Also, can you tell us more about the videos? What are some of the tags? Length? When did you upload them? Etc

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to Olias

Premium Member

to Olias
Just go to any of the videos you posted and click the user name. If it still shows as the alias click the name again from the users' "channel" page. The user name will now be visible in the address/url/location bar. From there just do a normal password recovery.

/M

horacebork
Premium Member

horacebork

Premium Member

the user name. If it still shows as the alias click the name again from the users' "channel" page. The user name will now be visible in the address/url/location bar.

but what if you have more than one 'account' under the same login? not sure what it's really called, but when i sign in, i have 3 different ones that i post videos under. you can choose a specific name and it might not correspond to the user name. if this was done, it won't be helpful.

but i do agree with this suggestion as at minimum a place to start. what harm?

Olias
Closer to believing
Premium Member
Wayne, NJ

Olias to Hard Harry7

Premium Member

to Hard Harry7
said by Hard Harry7:

Also, can you tell us more about the videos? What are some of the tags? Length? When did you upload them? Etc

The name of the YouTube site is "Hyacinth B's Classic Figure Skating Channel". Videos of classic figure skating competitions from the late 80's to the early 2000's. Length varies from an hour to up to 3 hours, depending on the competition. I used tags of certain figure skaters (i.e. Michelle Kwan) or the competition (i.e. National Figure Skating Championships).
Olias

Olias to Hard Harry7

Premium Member

to Hard Harry7
said by Hard Harry7:

First place I would start is temp files of the browser. Do you know which browser you used to create the account?

Internet Explorer.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to Olias

to Olias
Ahh, I am embarrassed to admit that I think I misunderstood your OP. I thought you couldn't find the Youtube profile at all, not that you were missing the username. Just incase I am wrong, here is the profile your talking about:

»www.youtube.com/channel/ ··· HNsAuncg

Did some digging around though and think I found the answer. It will take some time searching on the hard drive of the old computer, but you should be able to recover the index.dat file. See the first link to help find the file, and see the second link to be able to read it.

»www.milincorporated.com/ ··· dat.html

»www.majorgeeks.com/files ··· ite.html

Olias
Closer to believing
Premium Member
Wayne, NJ

Olias

Premium Member

said by Hard Harry7:

Just incase I am wrong, here is the profile your talking about:

Yes. I can go the the channel but can't access the account for it.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

said by Olias:

Yes. I can go the the channel but can't access the account for it.

Understood. Did you see the second part of my post about the index.dat file though? It will take some doing to find, decode, and search through, but It should have a list of all the websites that computer went to, and every cookie. The problem is trying to find the username in all that data.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Olias

to Olias
If you remember what email address you used when you created it, try using that email address as the username when logging in to youtube.

You might also scan your emails, perhaps you were getting emails from youtube that would give a hint to the account name (or which email address).

Olias
Closer to believing
Premium Member
Wayne, NJ

Olias to Hard Harry7

Premium Member

to Hard Harry7
said by Hard Harry7:

Ahh, I am embarrassed to admit that I think I misunderstood your OP. I thought you couldn't find the Youtube profile at all, not that you were missing the username. Just incase I am wrong, here is the profile your talking about:

Did some digging around though and think I found the answer. It will take some time searching on the hard drive of the old computer, but you should be able to recover the index.dat file. See the first link to help find the file, and see the second link to be able to read it.

»www.milincorporated.com/ ··· dat.html

»www.majorgeeks.com/files ··· ite.html

Sorry I took so long to reply, work & life got in the way. Anyway, downloaded index suite and unzipped it. Clicked the ID Suite application and got this pop-up:
"Component COMDLG32.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Olias

Premium Member

to Olias
Sent you a message from Youtube... perhaps that email might give you enough information to find your account.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to Olias

to Olias
said by Olias:

"Component COMDLG32.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

Try some the solutions at the link below. Could be where you saved the file, or something blocking COMDLG32.OCX from running. Sometimes it can be a bad download too, and they have a link for that too.

»forum.hosts-file.net/vie ··· 34&t=192

Olias
Closer to believing
Premium Member
Wayne, NJ

1 recommendation

Olias

Premium Member

Success!!! Before I managed to do the teduous task of digging through my cookies I had a brainstorm; i made an email address for my wife through my service provider. Once I found it the password was easy. I FINALLY ACCESSED MY HYACINTH B ACCOUNT!!! Now I can once again start to digitize my wife's hundreds of figure skating VHS tapes. If you're a fan of classic figure skating from the 80's to the mid 2000's stop on by. I'll be adding much more in the future. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.