uniqs
cablemandrew
Premium Member
join:2013-12-22
USA

cablemandrew

Premium Member

DSL Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I checked the other forums and couldn't find one for general DSL, plus this has a bit of a home improvement twist.

So, hopefully by the end of the day we'll have signed a month to month lease on a good sized doublewide built in 1998 on a piece of private property. Unfortunately it is in a town where the incumbent cable company is a small analog tv-only outfit thanks to a franchise agreement keeping Charter out from both the north and south sides of town. That leaves DSL offered by the local phone company, the catch being you must have phone service to get DSL as well, yay competition and open markets!

I digress, my question revolves on my former 2 years as a subcontractor for Charter(no longer). I know in cable your best bet for good signal and best QOS is to have a dedicated drop for the modem. I'm wondering if the same is true for DSL. I have plenty of Belden CAT3 and RJ11 connectors and crimpers hanging around to run a dedicated line from the NID myself, through the crawlspace and to the desired point.

So, my biggest question with my little knowledge of how DSL works, would my best bet for the best quality signal and least issues, be to run a dedicated line just for the modem?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

The DSL signal has run thousands of feet on CAT3 or less cable. A few dozen feet or more won't effect it much.

CAT5 will have better resistance from noise inside your house.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to cablemandrew

Premium Member

to cablemandrew
I'd run the dedicated drop, if for no other reason than to know for certain that it was done right and doesn't have any bad splices or other issues. CAT3 will be fine.
scooper
join:2000-07-11
Kansas City, KS
·Google Fiber

scooper to cablemandrew

to cablemandrew
Some of this depends on how they did your demarc box. Ideally - they put a DSL / voice splitter outside - you would then run a dedicated cable run for DSL and whatever for the rest of the house. The more likely scenario is that you have voice+DSL everywhere - this means you need the DSL filters on all "phones" and nothing on the jack where your DSL modem is.

As pointed out in a previous post - as long as you have good phoneline (dual or more pairs), your signal should be fine. (Good = no breaks in the insulation).

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by scooper:

(Good = no breaks in the insulation)

You also must have everything daisy-chained. Y's, splits, etc = bridge tap = bad.

A home run with a whole house filter is the way to go, that way you know you have a clean run.
cablemandrew
Premium Member
USA

cablemandrew

Premium Member

We got the call today we sign paperwork tomorrow. I have install set for Wednesday with my own modem(on order with Amazon, next day delivery). I will check out the demarc tomorrow it's one of the skinny ones(think hotdog). There's a surface mount jack in each room with a duplex jack that's says DSL on one and phone on the other. I'm not sure that's where I want to setup yet. I could only see one line dropping out of the NID so I'm assuming a daisy chain. Although it could be a dedicated line to the duplex jack I suppose.

By the by I'm going with the third speed tier at 16mbps(3,6,16, and 20 for options). The office isn't too far away. I'd guess less than 3 mile loop length. It's actually up the hill around a corner and 4 blocks down from the main phone office.

Google Image of the style of NID attached

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Sounds like your residence was already wired for DSL. Somewhere between the jack and NID (perhaps even in the NID) is a POTS/DSL splitter. Splitter's do a better job isolating DSL signals from voice so they are the preferred solution. Using a splitter eliminates the need to install a DSL filter on each non-DSL device.

If your telephone loop is really 3 miles (15,840 feet) you are not going to be able to get anywhere near 16 Mbps. DSL is distance limited, the longer the circuit the lower the speed. 1.5 Mbps is a more likely speed.

/tom
cablemandrew
Premium Member
USA

cablemandrew

Premium Member

Well I was figuring within 3 miles. It's probably just a mile.
cablemandrew

cablemandrew

Premium Member

Click for full size