trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Got my iPhone!!

Well I just picked up my iPhone and I do have to admit that this thing takes some getting used to when coming from an Android device. So far I'm pleasantly surprised just how well this thing works. It's fast, fluid, and best of all, I can't make it lag! Apps open just like that, overall a much better experience than on the Android.

I have a lot of apps and media that I have to transfer to the device but so far it's a great experience.

With that being said, there are some things that grate on my nerves.

Swift keyboard doesn't work exactly like the one on Android. There's supposed to be numbers on top of the top letters but I can't make it do it. You can't go directly to the WiFi functionality from the Control Center. That part doesn't make much sense to me since if you want to get to the WiFi control you should be able to do that from the Control Center. Android did this, I thought that Apple would do the same thing.

I just enrolled in ApplePay and I need to find a place where I can use it to find out how to use it in the first place. I don't know of any places off-hand that have that payment service available to customers.

I got the 64 GB Space Gray iPhone. It will live in a case so really I have no care as to what the phone's color is as long as the front isn't white.

And now for some questions and believe me, I'm going to have them so look out for some more. I figure that this is the best place to ask them.

How do you make a call simply from the Contacts app?
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

It came with iOS version 8.1.2 and it keeps bugging me about upgrading to version 8.1.3. I'm not sure if I want to do that. Some people have said not to do that.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

1 recommendation

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by trparky:

It came with iOS version 8.1.2 and it keeps bugging me about upgrading to version 8.1.3. I'm not sure if I want to do that. Some people have said not to do that.

Congrats!!! I would upgrade to 8.1.3 , no issues on my end.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
said by trparky:

if you want to jailbreak and customize it more than apple will allow, dont update

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 recommendation

darcilicious to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
said by trparky:

Tap on the contact name, tap on the phone icon next to the number you want to dial.

Upgrading to 8.1.3 will fix some bugs (there's a thread about it, you should be able to find it pretty easy).

Lots of good info here: »help.apple.com/iphone/8/

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Updating to iOS 8.1.3 via iTunes right now.
trparky

trparky to tdumaine

Premium Member

to tdumaine
said by tdumaine:

if you want to jailbreak and customize it more than apple will allow, dont update

Not really interested in jailbreaking. It works nicely as is.
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

said by trparky:

Updating to iOS 8.1.3 via iTunes right now.

All updated.

I have to admit that there were times during the update process that had me sweating bullets. The screen was black and the progress bar wasn't moving but iTunes said that things were happening.

Oh well, there was no use in worrying. The update happened without a hitch.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Next time, just do the update on the phone itself. It'll be faster.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
said by trparky:

said by tdumaine:

Not really interested in jailbreaking. It works nicely as is.

Well, you could have fixed that keyboard issue. Might have found a few things you missed from the android side. Too late now tho

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL
·AT&T FTTP

Astyanax to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
said by trparky:

I just enrolled in ApplePay and I need to find a place where I can use it to find out how to use it in the first place. I don't know of any places off-hand that have that payment service available to customers.

I got my first iPhone just after Christmas. So far the only two places I've been able to use ApplePay is at the Apple Store (of course) and Walgreens. When you're at Walgreens you have to tell the cashier you want to use ApplePay and he has to push a button to make the card swiper ApplePay friendly. There are other places of course like Office Depot, Staples, and McDonald's. Click here and scroll towards the bottom to see other stores that accept ApplePay.
said by trparky:

Pull up the contact and tap the number in the contact you want to call.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

AppleCare is amazing!

I had to call AppleCare because I couldn’t for the life of me get my iPhone 6 to connect properly to my car’s Pioneer radio via USB. Sure, it could connect via Bluetooth but who wants that for audio. Already compressed music sent over a compressed data channel to the radio makes for some piss-poor sound. So I called them, they walked me through a series of troubleshooting steps which included checking a few settings on the iPhone along with rebooting it a special way. Sure enough, it now connects to my car’s Pioneer radio flawlessly and sends the audio to the radio using the USB cable. Very cool Apple, very cool!

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to trparky

MVM

to trparky
Well enjoy it!

I know I am enjoying my iPhone 6 Plus 64GB,...

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL
·AT&T FTTP

Astyanax to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
said by trparky:

I had to call AppleCare because I couldn’t for the life of me get my iPhone 6 to connect properly to my car’s Pioneer radio via USB. Sure, it could connect via Bluetooth but who wants that for audio. Already compressed music sent over a compressed data channel to the radio makes for some piss-poor sound.

I stream Spotify to my car's stereo either way and can't tell the difference. Sounds great both ways. With Bluetooth no hokey cable to deal with.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by Astyanax:

said by trparky:

I had to call AppleCare because I couldn’t for the life of me get my iPhone 6 to connect properly to my car’s Pioneer radio via USB. Sure, it could connect via Bluetooth but who wants that for audio. Already compressed music sent over a compressed data channel to the radio makes for some piss-poor sound.

I stream Spotify to my car's stereo either way and can't tell the difference. Sounds great both ways. With Bluetooth no hokey cable to deal with.

I only use Bluetooth in my car with my iPhone 6 Plus and other devices. If it speeds up the process of switching between devices then I might try USB.

I'm guessing that USB also has the benefit of charging while Bluetooth just drains more power. Battery life isn't a big deal on the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus though,....

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

said by Astyanax:

said by trparky:

I only use Bluetooth in my car with my iPhone 6 Plus and other devices. If it speeds up the process of switching between devices then I might try USB.

I'm guessing that USB also has the benefit of charging while Bluetooth just drains more power. Battery life isn't a big deal on the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus though,....

I use USB and my car works well with it (displays track, album, artist) and yes, it charges my iPhone 6 as well - in my case, quite handy as my commute each way is over an hour AND I usually use the GPS the entire time (for a location-based game I'm obsessed with).

Oh, and the audio is great too

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Interesting,....

Well I see the advantage of having it charge via USB with respect to Bluetooth.

Tell me, can you also make and recieve calls handsfree through your car's audio system when connected via USB,.....?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

Hands-free? I don't think so -- well, you could use "Hey, Siri" to dial out but I'm not sure what the sound quality would be like since the person you're talking to would most likely come out over the speakers.

I use a blue-tooth ear-thingy for calls and other voice-activated commands.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Ah,....

I see,....

Yeah a Bluetooth earpiece could get the job done. I think I prefer being able to use the buttons on the steering wheel to be able to initiate a call, end a call, play music and so on.

So it sounds like you're using a combination of USB and Bluetooth. I could probably just use one of the lightning cables that provides only power and just use the car's built in Bluetooth or maybe just a regular cable.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Yes, my car does not have any steering wheel buttons -- and I actually make very very few phone calls so I don't even use the bluetooth earpiece that often

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Honistly I don't make that many calls either. However, if there is an incoming call I'll vet it and if it passes muster I'll want to answer. I won't answer it if I have to handle the phone, take my eyes off the road or put too much thought into how to manage the call.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

3 recommendations

trparky

Premium Member

Day number four of my iPhone experience. I can't believe that I waited this long to come back to the iPhone. The software is perfect, it integrates so well. And Siri is awesome!
trparky

1 recommendation

trparky

Premium Member

One more thing...

The iPhone may not be as customizable as Android is but at least all of the software works in harmony. I can ask Siri to do anything including make me timers, alarms, notes, reminders, etc. I can even ask her to make phone calls for me without even opening the phone app, she just does it.

The level of software integration blows Android out of the water in terms of just how well all of the pieces of the puzzle come together in one well-designed and completely integrated system in which everything just works. Android, because it's a fragmented mess of pieces and parts, the software integration just isn't there.
trparky

trparky

Premium Member

The battery life is amazing with the iPhone 6 Plus. I've had the device off the charger since 9 or 10 AM yesterday morning and it's down to 42% battery life. I didn't plug it in last night, I just left it as is. I figure that I'll be able charge it every other day.

I had to charge my old Note 3 daily with a spare battery with me to swap out to be able to get through a day.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Indeed, and you'll get much agreement when saying such things in this forum. However, if you go to the Android forum and say the same things you'll likely be kicking a hornet nest,....so I wouldn't recommend it,....

This here is a safe place,......

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

kicking a hornet nest,....so I wouldn't recommend it

Do you want to come with me and kick the hornet's nest? It'll be fun. LOL
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to trparky

to trparky
said by trparky:

One more thing...

The iPhone may not be as customizable as Android is but at least all of the software works in harmony. I can ask Siri to do anything including make me timers, alarms, notes, reminders, etc. I can even ask her to make phone calls for me without even opening the phone app, she just does it.

The level of software integration blows Android out of the water in terms of just how well all of the pieces of the puzzle come together in one well-designed and completely integrated system in which everything just works. Android, because it's a fragmented mess of pieces and parts, the software integration just isn't there.

I had an htc One M7, which IMO was amazing, and Sense was half way decent. It's still a great phone. While I didn't get updates as quickly as the iPhone, htc went to great lengths to provide us with the necessary Android updates as fast as they could. I commend them for that. The iPhone launch has been anything but smooth. Bend-gate, bad memory modules in the 64/128 models that caused crashes and rebooting, and buggy IOS releases. No company is perfect, but it was a rough ride for me with a launch iPhone 6 phone. You will in time probably start to realize the benefits and drawbacks of the iPhone. You've got Facetime built right in, Siri works great with a limited personality. The apps are top notch and everything works just great if the current IOS release is stable.

There is however a long term downside to the iPhone to people who like the latest technology. Let me explain. I had an iPhone 4s before. The only phone not to physically break down over the two years of subsidized ownership. Android phone manufactures are pumping out phones very fast and they pack as much new tech they can possible. These are called "gimmicks". The reason they're gimmicks is because they are not widely supported and tested by the industry; take Google Wallet vs Apple Pay for example. There are features that will be appealing at first, but turn out to be a short lived. Apple takes a different approach. They look at all the new tech, single out the promising ones, refine them in their own image and put into production with success. So what I'm trying to say is while Apple might not have all the new feature of a new Android phone, the features it does have are thoroughly thought out and supported and are almost guaranteed to work well.

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Yeah, Apple did have some trouble there. I have the 64 GB iPhone and I guess that I've been lucky, I've not had any issues with it. It runs great, doesn't crash, and the performance of the device is amazing. I can't say that my time in the Android camp has been as smooth as this iPhone experience.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
Can you post the battery usage over that time?

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to DarkSithPro

MVM

to DarkSithPro
You have a point but I haven't experienced any of those problems with my iPhone 6 Plus 64GB model.

To be perfectly honest, IMO, Bendgate was a "Doctor it hurts when I do this" type of issue. As for the memory module problem, I have to believe that Apple would take care of those that were affected. I'm not sure why I never came across some of the more noteworthy iOS issues. Maybe I'm just lucky too,...

Indeed you're right though. It was a rocky start for some.