Search similar:

uniqs
muzicman82
join:2011-12-05
Bear, DE

muzicman82

[CDV] Transferring Number Between Call Centers

Hi all,

Hoping someone can shed some light on an issue. We have Comcast Business with phone service. We have had our main business number for over 20 years and ported it to Comcast 3 years ago when we switched to Comcast for HSI.

Now, we just moved business location and even though we are in the same city, Comcast is routing our service through a different call center. Apparently, they cannot port our main business line between call centers. So, they can forward the number, but the problem with this is that our caller ID when we call out will not show our main business line then. They also screwed up and shut down the old call center account with that line still on it and so it gives an "out of service" message to our customers. This is terrible.

I am wondering if anyone has ideas for getting this number ported to our new Comcast account at the new call center. My thought is to port the number to a cell phone, perhaps pre-paid, and then port it back to the new Comcast account. I've had to port to pre-paid phones when moving a land-line to a Google Voice number, and that worked fine. Will this work or is there a reason why we wouldn't be able to port it back in?

We can't afford to lose this number as it is what all of our customers rely on.

Ideas?
saratoga66
join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

saratoga66

You can not port a number to different rate centers with Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, etc. Your only option will be to port to a VoIP or Cell phone provider.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

1 edit

GusHerb to muzicman82

to muzicman82
said by muzicman82:

Hi all,

Hoping someone can shed some light on an issue. We have Comcast Business with phone service. We have had our main business number for over 20 years and ported it to Comcast 3 years ago when we switched to Comcast for HSI.

Now, we just moved business location and even though we are in the same city, Comcast is routing our service through a different call center. Apparently, they cannot port our main business line between call centers. So, they can forward the number, but the problem with this is that our caller ID when we call out will not show our main business line then. They also screwed up and shut down the old call center account with that line still on it and so it gives an "out of service" message to our customers. This is terrible.

I am wondering if anyone has ideas for getting this number ported to our new Comcast account at the new call center. My thought is to port the number to a cell phone, perhaps pre-paid, and then port it back to the new Comcast account. I've had to port to pre-paid phones when moving a land-line to a Google Voice number, and that worked fine. Will this work or is there a reason why we wouldn't be able to port it back in?

We can't afford to lose this number as it is what all of our customers rely on.

Ideas?

Look at it this way, if you had been with the phone company they would've made you change your phone number but offered to forward the old number to the new one or something.

Your best option at this point would be to port to a VoIP provider and forward to the new number and also start publishing the new number and spreading the word that it has changed. You could also port the old number to VoIP and set it up as your primary line and keep Comcast around for backup or something.
muzicman82
Bear, DE

muzicman82

Actually in DE. The number was originally with Cavalier Telephone but ported to Comcast years ago.

So I CAN port it to a cell phone or VoIP? Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to port the number BACK to Comcast from a cell phone or VoIP on the new account?
saratoga66
Saratoga, CA

saratoga66

Your number is assigned to your old locations rate center. You will not be able to port it to the new address which is in a different rate center with any of the "land line" providers. You can port it to a VioP or cell provider but if you try to port back to the new address the port request will be denied.
muzicman82
Bear, DE

muzicman82

Then how did my girlfriend's brother move from Newark, DE to Philadelphia, PA and keep his 302 number? We call him with 302-xxx-xxx and he lives in a different state?

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

switch carriers?

there are lots of factors involved on whether or a not can be ported.
»www.npac.com/number-port ··· np-works
saratoga66
Saratoga, CA

saratoga66 to muzicman82

to muzicman82
Maybe remote call forwarding?

That is what I have been doing for my main business number for the past 6 years. I moved about 10 miles away so was unable to move the number. AT&T set up remote call forwarding for that number. The original cost was about $18/mo but now it is almost $50/mo which is totally ridicules considering it cost them next to nothing to provide the service.

I'm in the process of moving the number to a VioP provider.
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to muzicman82

to muzicman82
The 302 number was probably ported to a VoIP provider before they moved. Or it was some kind of forwarding service as suggested.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to muzicman82

Premium Member

to muzicman82
You will need to ask your girlfriend's brother as we probably do not know him to find out that information.
muzicman82
Bear, DE

muzicman82 to GusHerb

to GusHerb
No, this person definitely did not pay for any routing or forwarding service. The account just up and moved to Philly. In fact, when he calls us from home, I still see a 302 number on the caller ID, which is something CDV cannot do with the forwarding we currently have.

Any favorited VoIP services here? Or highly respected/reviewed ones?

voipperrr
@sbcglobal.net

voipperrr

Anon

Try Packet8, they have been in business for a very long time (in terms of VoIP companies).