uniqs
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Toronto man froze to death in his yard after falling from wheelchair

On one of the coldest nights of the year, Mark Stroz froze to death within sight of his Toronto front door.

Saturday night temperatures dropped to as low as -25 C (-40 C with windchill), putting the city under an extreme cold alert. The neighbourhood also happened to be without power. Starting at 4:30 a.m., 4,000 homes — including the home Mr. Stroz shared with his mother in suburban Etobicoke — were struck by a blackout.

At sunrise, it was a neighbour who first noticed Mr. Stroz’s motionless body facedown in his front yard, his wheelchair nearby. The last time anybody had seen the 29-year-old alive, he had been taking a cab home after a night out with friends...

»news.nationalpost.com/20 ··· d-alert/

We had a very similar death this weekend here in NJ, as noted in the same newspaper story.

This goddamn weather....

I don't know what to say except that people need to be more on guard for things to go wrong.

If dropping someone off on a very cold night, watch to see that they get into their house, for example. Especially if person being dropped off is in a wheelchair.

This weather scares the hell out of me.

RIP Mr. Stroz.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

i guess his mother never checked if he was at home or not...they should have had some kind of system of communication him being in a wheelchair...:(

cab driver should have wheeled him to the door....it takes only but a minute or 2 effort wise, and in his case both of the scenarios i mentioned he would be alive today.

RIP Mark

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
I wonder if alcohol may have been a factor, or if the snow/ice caused him to fall out suddenly and render him unconscious.

Sad story.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Very tragic. Whenever I drop someone off at their house I always wait until they get safely inside. Especially in weather like this.

AppleGuy
Premium Member
join:2013-09-08
Kitchener, ON

AppleGuy to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
Problem is we don't know the details. Perhaps he DID make it in safely, and perhaps he went outside for a smoke. No one knows for sure.

But dang, Saturday was cold and freezing to death is a crappy way to go. Although if alcohol was a factor, he may not have even noticed it.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

Very tragic. Whenever I drop someone off at their house I always wait until they get safely inside. Especially in weather like this.

I do the same thing. The last thing you want to do is drop someone off only for them to realize that they forgot their keys. In weather like this it is even more important to make sure someone gets inside safely.
Expand your moderator at work

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

1 recommendation

Hydraglass to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: Toronto man froze to death in his yard after falling from wheelchair

said by Gone:

I do the same thing. The last thing you want to do is drop someone off only for them to realize that they forgot their keys. In weather like this it is even more important to make sure someone gets inside safely.

I'm also very careful to do it when dropping my carpool partners off at the lot on the days they ride with me - I make sure they get in their car and they get it started. It's dark, cold, and not particularly within walking distance of anything - and one of them doesn't carry a cell phone - my part to make sure they at least get out on the highway to head home.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

1 edit

jaberi to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
i seen these before but could not remember what they were called, hearing on the radio today about it, i said Yeah that's it!!!....unfortunately, they are being recalled, and a judge is calling for Health Canada to work with Philips and replacing the old ones..

does anyone know someone who used these pendants successfully?

edit to add the link:

»www.24news.ca/the-news/c ··· gulation

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Its been a week and so far the cab driver that drive Mr. Stroz home as still not come forward. I though cab companies used GPS, kept fair records of pick up and drop offs, it seems they do not or perhaps purged records that might have been incriminating.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

Its been a week and so far the cab driver that drive Mr. Stroz home as still not come forward.

Good IMO. The blame some people want to lay on their feet is unwarranted, grilling the hell out of the cab driver won't bring the guy back.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

I don't follow how speaking with people directly involved in an incident equates to undo suffering on the living. The driver might remember something which could have been useful in the investigation.

lugnut
@communications.com

lugnut to jaberi

Anon

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

i seen these before but could not remember what they were called, hearing on the radio today about it, i said Yeah that's it!!!....unfortunately, they are being recalled, and a judge is calling for Health Canada to work with Philips and replacing the old ones..

does anyone know someone who used these pendants successfully?

edit to add the link:

»www.24news.ca/the-news/c ··· gulation

I have a friend with an invalid mother who lives alone who's in the process of signing up for the service. I'll pass this link along to him.

As for the guy in the wheelchair? If he was functional enough to ride a cab on his own to a night out on the town then why in the hell didn't he have a cellphone on him? I never leave the house without mine.

Unless he suffered a stroke or passed out drunk it would have been trivial to call for help.

Either way it's not the cab driver's responsibility to make certain someone makes it to his door.

This summer I had to deal with getting my wheelchair bound father on and off of Trans Help here in Mississauga and as far as their stated policy goes, you have to be waiting at the curb for up to a 45 minute window before they even show up and their responsibilities are limited to safely onloading and offloading you and getting you to your destination in one piece.

Like any other job, they have schedules and deadlines to meet and can't be expected to be a nurses' aide on top of all their other responsibilities.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

He played sledge hockey, that would suggest he had good upper body and arm strength, likely better than the average person. Out of the chair would have the strength to pull himself along.

EDIT: I wouldn't expect the taxi to wait either unless the fair requested it specifically (not a bad idea they have mobility issues). It seems strange the guy makes it half way home and falls out of the chair.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

EDIT: I wouldn't expect the taxi to wait either unless the fair requested it specifically (not a bad idea they have mobility issues). It seems strange the guy makes it half way home and falls out of the chair.

drunk, then passed out?
Expand your moderator at work