spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

Who is responsible in this case

Quadriplegic temporary foreign worker ordered to leave Canada

A temporary foreign worker is one step closer to deportation from Canada after she was unable to renew her work visa following a car crash that left her a quadriplegic.

»ca.news.yahoo.com/quadri ··· 759.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

most of them are brought in via middle men, or so called agents who appointed themselves to represent and guarantee their contract?

we have discussed the immigration matters, but never the medical aspect should something happen to these employees and they need permanent health care...
the guy who hit her?
McDonalds?
the middle man?
Canadian Governement?
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

The tax payers. She should be sent home and become burden on her own gov instead of ours

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

1 recommendation

bbbc

said by Doonz :

She should be sent home and become burden on her own gov instead of ours

Who crippled her, ah an Albertan. Nothing like exploiting people and then shipping them off when they get hurt on your soil.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by bbbc:

said by Doonz :

She should be sent home and become burden on her own gov instead of ours

Who crippled her, ah an Albertan. Nothing like exploiting people and then shipping them off when they get hurt on your soil.

Was it an Albertan? Doesn't matter she is no longer working and should be sent back to her country where she is a citizen.
jaberi

jaberi to bbbc

to bbbc
she was rendered a quadriplegic by a driver of a motor vehicle, should his insurance not pay for that, i mean if he ad one....why sue McDonalds is where it is not clear to me?

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
this is messy...likely another reason why we shouldn't have TFWs...perhaps have the insurance company pay for it (the driver who hit her)...but then, kind of hard to give her a cheque and ship her home (not really fair or right either)...the article said that she declined benefits at her job, so perhaps she bears some responsibility??...tough to say, but i can't see how we need to bring in people from the Philippines to work at a McDonalds.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

Going back over 10 years now back in school some of the commentary I read is that one of the appeals of foriegn workers is that they can be cheaper than canadian workers to employ both for the employer and province. Alot of health care issues that arrise on the job would just result in being the person returned to their country. At the time there was a push to get TFW including in all the WSIB, provincial healthcare coverage etc. Not only would the keep the playing field more level in terms of Canadians and TFW looking at the same jobs, it would give the same level or protection to TFW that we enjoy while we benefit from their labour.

I'm not really sure how things have changed since 2004.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
Same sort of problem, injured/dead workers: »www.cbc.ca/news/migrant- ··· .2607164

plusone
@comcast.net

plusone to Doonz

Anon

to Doonz
said by Doonz:

The tax payers. She should be sent home and become burden on her own gov instead of ours

Yes
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

...but then, kind of hard to give her a cheque and ship her home (not really fair or right either)...

That's what will happen to you or I if we are in an accident in Ontario where one suffers a catastrophic injury.

Why should she be treated any different.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

That's what will happen to you or I if we are in an accident in Ontario where one suffers a catastrophic injury.

At least we'd have access to some level of ongoing first world medical care.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

...but then, kind of hard to give her a cheque and ship her home (not really fair or right either)...

I was born and raised here,paid my taxes for health care etc.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

the article said that she declined benefits at her job

I think there's some conflict there. The article says McDonald's claims she opted out. I know when I've been hired that someone (usually) sits down and goes over things very carefully. However, over the decades I've had people try and skip over stuff and just say 'sign here'. When younger you're less likely to pay attention. With TFWs it really shouldn't be optional.

I know when I went back to college there was some type of mandatory insurance that the college dinged you for. The only way you could opt out was by proving that you had coverage elsewhere (and someone had issues because their term was up during the year and they had to extend it before they would let them out of the payment).
A Lurker

A Lurker to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

At least we'd have access to some level of ongoing first world medical care.

Yes and no. As someone who has had a family member involved in an MVH accident in the past there is way less support than you would think in our 'no fault' province. Yes, people get the initial care, and limited payouts. It's the ongoing costs that kill people. To some extent they can be recouped, but in the end not all of them, and permanent injuries don't seem to be dealt with well.

(I will say that this was after retirement age for the person, and it seems like when these things happen when there's no obvious loss on income that it becomes way more complicated.)

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

If it was so serious that there was permanent disability, I'd be getting a personal injury lawyer involved. Insurance companies aren't in the business of writing cheques.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

Personal injury lawyers generally work on contingency. They may be loathe to put the work in for someone who isn't a citizen or even landed immigrant.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone

Premium Member

said by A Lurker:

Personal injury lawyers generally work on contingency. They may be loathe to put the work in for someone who isn't a citizen or even landed immigrant.

So long as they believe there's going to be a payout worth the time and energy invested, they'll take it.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to jaberi

to jaberi
I can't believe there are people who are saying kick her out.... for the reason that she will be some sort of burden to the system....

We have plenty of Canadian people in wheelchairs who are contributing positively to Canadian society. I know one who was a former work colleague, and there are many more out there.

I am of the opinion that she thought highly of Canada, and she liked it here, and she was working towards a better future.... I don't think her attitude towards contributing to making a better future for herself will change.

Often it is citizens born here who show their true sense of entitlement.... there are plenty of Canadians who were born here that I wouldn't mind seeing stripped of their citizenship and shipped somewhere else for lack of productivity and taking more than they have produced.

In North America, immigrants searching for a better life in past generations are the people who built what we have today.

-------

As a side topic, this may push Ottawa to mandate the TFW program have proper health and drug insurance plans from their employer.

This opt out issue she had.... I am curious about.... I assume she opted out so she could get paid more? I think what they may be implying is she opted out of disability coverage at work, rather than healthcare..... although those two coverages could have been linked.....

-------

I don't think this means we should be cancelling the TFW program, but I think this should push for some more oversight from Ottawa to ensure that companies are providing adequate benefits and care to these workers, rather than just using them like slave labour.

TFW program isn't necessarily a bad thing.... at least these people are working, in many cases providing services to all Canadians.

As a side note, many of the temporary foreign workers take on jobs that many Canadians consider themselves "above" doing.
jaberi

jaberi to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

If it was so serious that there was permanent disability, I'd be getting a personal injury lawyer involved. Insurance companies aren't in the business of writing cheques.

she has an attorney who will be asking Canadian Immigration to grant her stay on compassionate grounds?
there is not enough information in this story, (for me anyways)...accident happened in 2011, how was she able to maintain her lifestyle since then if she is unable to work?....what if the driver was not at fault?..
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by jaberi:

said by Gone:

she has an attorney who will be asking Canadian Immigration to grant her stay on compassionate grounds?
there is not enough information in this story, (for me anyways)...accident happened in 2011, how was she able to maintain her lifestyle since then if she is unable to work?....what if the driver was not at fault?..

Bear in mind this comment is based solely on the CBC's accounting of the incident as I have not seen another article that expands on the details.

Without knowing the details of B.C. auto insurance program, I can only guess that there would have been some sort of compensation / treatment paid for which *may* have been time limited regardless of whatever injuries arose as a result of the accident.

If this is so and BC's scheme does not allow a tort suit against the driver that injured her and their insurance company, I can see where the issue arises that she is now out of money (and because of her inability to work, out of time, as far as the work permit goes)

However, given the facts as presented by the CBC in their story, I can't believe the Canadian government would deny a compassionate grounds application by this woman. Based on the story as presented, it's not her fault she was injured and even if she was somehow found to have contributed to her condition.

IE: drove on the wrong side of the road, in dark clothing, in a rainstorm, while drunk

I still can't see why she gets sent back to a place with likely inadequate medical care because someone else hit her with a car...

NefCanuck

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by NefCanuck:

I still can't see why she gets sent back to a place with likely inadequate medical care because someone else hit her with a car...

Because she's not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and we aren't (and can't be) responsible for the standard of health care in the Phillipines or anywhere else but Canada in the world.

I looked for an account of the bicycle accident but couldn't find it. However, I think it likely that if the driver were blatantly at fault, the settlement would have been larger. Sometimes accidents happen.

At the end of the day, it's simply not prudent, or possible to "manage by anecdote".

What is done in this person's case, exceptions made and such set precedents.

It was never the intent of the TFW to have us be on the hook for lifetime medical care of a person who were to get injured while temporarily in Canada. It never was. Is that wrong? I don't think so.

If I had my way, the entire concept of bringing in TFWs on the program to sling burgers is utterly absurd, and should never have been done. But that cat is out of the bag. It would be nice if the franchise owner did something nice, like set up a trust for her in the Phillipines, or something.

Or if it can be shown that the franchise was dishonest in the handling of healthcare options, then throw the book at them. And they can be made to pay for her care.....in the Phillipines.
jaberi

jaberi

although there is limited information on this particular case, i still don't see how McDonald would be responsible for her condition....McDonald does not hire these workers, only thing McDonald is responsible for is to make sure that these foreign workers get 40 hrs. for the duration of their contract, regardless if the hrs. of a Canadian have to be cut down.

Foreign worker paid consultant $25K to get visa, but arrived to find no job

Go Public has plenty of these stories....
the contracts are with the middle men...a visa does not cost $25K...
these middle men or agents as they call themselves exploited these workers in every single way, therefore, why not pay for this woman's disability.
jaberi

jaberi to Ian1

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

said by NefCanuck:

Because she's not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and we aren't (and can't be) responsible for the standard of health care in the Phillipines or anywhere else but Canada in the world.

I looked for an account of the bicycle accident but couldn't find it. However, I think it likely that if the driver were blatantly at fault, the settlement would have been larger. Sometimes accidents happen.

At the end of the day, it's simply not prudent, or possible to "manage by anecdote".

What is done in this person's case, exceptions made and such set precedents.

It was never the intent of the TFW to have us be on the hook for lifetime medical care of a person who were to get injured while temporarily in Canada. It never was. Is that wrong? I don't think so.

If I had my way, the entire concept of bringing in TFWs on the program to sling burgers is utterly absurd, and should never have been done. But that cat is out of the bag. It would be nice if the franchise owner did something nice, like set up a trust for her in the Phillipines, or something.

Or if it can be shown that the franchise was dishonest in the handling of healthcare options, then throw the book at them. And they can be made to pay for her care.....in the Phillipines.

the bicycle accident was settled out of court, and that is what she has been living on.

»www.edmontonjournal.com/ ··· ory.html
jaberi

jaberi

Alberta health minister denies coverage to temporary foreign worker

Maria Victoria Venancio, a temporary foreign worker from the Philippines who became a quadriplegic while working in Edmonton, then stayed in Canada after her visa expired, has been denied health-care coverage by the Alberta government.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/e ··· .3019954

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----

McDonalds has been awfully quiet in this matter.