spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mkapr84
join:2015-02-17
Cuba, NY

mkapr84

Getting TWC to run cable to my home.

I've searched the forums but haven't seen any recent post with people trying to attempt this. Living in my current location I have been without broadband internet for 18 years or so. Currently I am using Verizon 3G mifi with a 10gb monthly cap (either this or satellite.)

I've read maybe a handful of stories or posts about people getting TWC to run a line to their home but haven't seen much follow up to these stories. Judging by a coverage map on www.broadbandmap.gov, the coverage for TWC ends maybe around 500ft from my home if that. I am unsure of how accurate this map is, also how is the coverage determined since some of the color shaded area that represents coverage lies in deep wooded areas.

If at all possible (lowest of all hopes) do I just go to my local TWC office and ask about this? If so what specifically do I ask of them? Also do they have any obligation to relinquish development plans for my area if there are any?

It's getting absolutely frustrating not having reasonable internet access since it is affecting my online school and I've had to abandon gaming all together with the new practice of releasing multi-gig patches and most games using Steam.
ernliz
join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC

ernliz

I know exactly how you feel. I had the same prob when we lived in Abilene, TX with Cox Communications. No deal -- but we were over 3 miles from the nearest access point. Your having only 500 feet to ask about sounds doable -- but you have to ask your local office! But even if you offered to pay for that 500 feet, it's going to be an uphill battle. Good luck.
omghi2u
join:2001-02-05

omghi2u to mkapr84

to mkapr84
There are some existing threads by others asking the same question. You should do some searching to see others situations and experience.
spdickey
join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey

Click for full size

Don't count on that map being entirely accurate. Go out on the street, locate the nearest telephone pole with cable equipment on it. Or if you're in an underground area, the nearest pedestal. Then figure out how far it is to your home. Then multiply the yardage by several thousand dollars each, more if its underground and requires digging. Pictures of typical aerial and underground cable plant attached will help you identify yours. If its doable, your local office will tell you. Go there in person, the people at the out-of-state call center won't have a clue if your address is not in their database.

news4la
join:2009-01-05
Universal City, CA

news4la

WOW! that is an old picture. They haven't used notch filters in at least 30 years!The old Group W and Adelphia days. It also reminds of the "Z" channel. Did you know that Steve Edwards did a talk show on Group W public access at the Nebraska street office in Sta. Monica.
mkapr84
Cuba, NY

mkapr84

It turns out the end of the line is around 1.3 miles. A survey was taken by TWC to see if service was available and it isn't, no surprise there. I received an email stating a "contribution to aid in construction" can be made and that an estimate of this "contribution" could be determined. So what the hell I want to see what this astronomical fee would be so I am awaiting on that.

A rep at the TWC local office says it costs $100k to run one mile of line. But then I've read where TWC was going to charge $20k for 9/10's of a mile and various other price/distance configurations in other articles. Based on what I've read and heard I am thinking it could be anywhere from $4 - $19 a foot so roughly anywhere between $30k - $150k. So, this endeavor is completely frivolous.

Also the rep said that there is a hard line running down my entire road but that means nothing since they can't just tap into it. I can't find any logic in her statement but I am a lamen to this stuff.
spdickey
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey

said by mkapr84:

there is a hard line running down my entire road but that means nothing since they can't just tap into it.

She might be talking about trunk line, which may even be fiber, that can't simply be tapped to provide you with service. Feeder line would need to be run that 1.3 miles.

The trunk cables are connected to the branch or feeder cables through
special bridger amplifiers. Once going through the bridger, the signals are
passed on through the streets and neighborhoods on feeder cables. Small
amplifiers maintain the strength of the downstream signals on the feeder cables.

These feeder amplifiers are called line extenders. It is the feeder cables that
provide a place for the wires going into each subscriber's home to hook up.
These home connection points are called taps. The tap is the transition point
between the feeder system and the house wiring or drop system.

I think your best solution is help pay for the construction. Or, move to a serviceable residence.
mkapr84
Cuba, NY

mkapr84

Yes, I believe it may be a fiber line since I remember hearing about that a while ago.

Construction is going to be a tremendous amount probably so I don't think I will go that route unless I can get the neighbors to chip in $10k+ each which is extremely doubtful. I will just have to play the waiting game; already been waiting 18 years for something.
mkapr84

1 edit

mkapr84

Estimate to extend came in.

7206 ft. with a total cost of around $35k. 14 houses in that distance which divides that to around $2500 per household. At least two of those houses have no one living in it and the likely hood of the rest to pony up is slim to none.

I guess I could go house to house and ask or mail out something but this isn't an affluent neighborhood and I'd be lucky if even a handful would be willing. Are there any means of assistance, in particular government, that could at best cover the price or at least help get it down? I've seen in articles where Senators have gotten involved but haven't seen a follow up on whether said Senator got things resolved.

It's getting even more frustrating now that I know I can get cable but it is just out of reach.
spdickey
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey

said by mkapr84:

means of assistance, in particular government

Check with your local franchising authority, which could either be the city, or county. In New York State the New York State Department of Public Service regulates cable television franchises.

If I still have questions, who can I contact?
You can call your service provider; or call the PSC at 1-800-342-3377 or e-mail at askpsc@dps.ny.gov