spc
Search similar:

uniqs

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

1 recommendation

d4m1r

Re: ICMP requests totally blocked?

1) Yes, he has a DPC2100 but an older Scientific Atlanta branded one (from 2008, not Cisco branded).

2) I know the big U.S ISPs but not the little ones, and he gets service from a little guy so I forgot which one.

3) I know several U.S ISPs do block ICMP completely so his is not the only one, except people don't provide a list of who the offending ISPs are so maybe it isn't one of the big ones if nobody calls them out by name?

4) I agree NO ISP should block ICMP on purpose as it is not even a "counter measure against attacks" listed in any of the above linked research papers....They all talk about filtering and not a single one says to completely block ICMP requests....Obviously his ISP network engineers didn't read those papers....

5) Thanks for the Windows application suggestion BUT I know if it was my PC in question, I'd hate to install a random application + driver just to be able to drive pings over UDP....If command prompt could do it via an additional parameter, that would be OK but....

6) And when I mean "pings don't work" I mean you can't ping anything other than locally (router, modem, etc). If you ping google.com or even google.com's direct IP, request timed out. While pinging google.com works fine on his setup over a VPN for example.

Found this while doing more research....Seems like a little linux application that can do exactly what I want, send pings over UDP. He's a Windows user but I use linux so I will try it at home tonight at least....

»Pinging with the ISP Blocking ICMP